autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

'13 Focus ST Tuxedo Black... Should I clay?

I did run a few searches on claying a new car but didn't really find the answer I was looking for. Maybe someone came help me out. Long story short:

Picked up a brand new 2013 Ford Focus ST in Tuxedo Black. Really amazing color with some almost color changing flek in it.

Surprisingly the dealership seems to have done a thorough delivery detailing. My paint is seemingly swirl free after inspection in my garage with a light. I'm 100% satisfied with the condition of my paint as it is. And this is my conundrum...

I did the standard two bucket wash. Cleaned it up nice. I wanted to hit with my Wolfgang Paint Sealant and a wax. Problem is when I do the baggie test I can definitely feel contamination in the paint. I have a couple of new Pinnacle clay bars. I really don't want to do it though. I think claying will only add swirls. Basically is it ok to seal and wax this car without a clay bar. I just need the best way to seal and wax the car with the paint in it's current condition.

Does that even make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: '13 Focus ST Tuxedo Black... Should I clay?

One option would be to do a chemical decontamination first, like Iron-X or the Finish Kare Decon kit. That may remove the contamination, or may remove enough of it for you to feel more comfortable claying it.

However, sure you can just seal and wax it the way it is, but without the proper surface prep you may not get the durability you're expecting, and depending on what the surface contaminant is, it will still be sitting on the surface possibly doing further damage.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    One option would be to do a chemical decontamination first, like Iron-X or the Finish Kare Decon kit. That may remove the contamination, or may remove enough of it for you to feel more comfortable claying it.

However, sure you can just seal and wax it the way it is, but without the proper surface prep you may not get the durability you're expecting, and depending on what the surface contaminant is, it will still be sitting on the surface possibly doing further damage.
    Thanks for the reply. I've never owned a black car before. These ST Focus are sorta hot right now and almost impossible to find. I doubt it's been sitting that long.

I'm trying to find out more about the paint that these Ford Global cars come with.

I'm not exactly experienced at polishing though I've done some good jobs with my Porter DA and the M105/205.

Seems like I have no choice but to try claying it on a spot somewhere and see if I get marring/swirling. Maybe a corner of the roof or bumper or something. It's just so glassy perfect now, best new car paint condition I've had for sure. Don't want to have my actions lessen the quality of the current paint condition.

Mike Phillips

Do the Baggies Test on a horizontal surface. Use a "thin" sandwich baggie, not a thick, heavy duty model.

Sounds like you got lucky! No "Horror Story" from the dealership. And for everyone reading this into the future...

It's completely possible to get a BRAND NEW CAR that needs to be clayed and buffed out...

Video & Pictures: 2012 Black Camaro Convertible - Blackfire Show Car Makeover!

Before Shots

I didn't get a lot or very good camera shots to show the before condition but here's a few....

This shot is just to frame up the below shot which I cropped out of this shot. The thing to remember is the entire finish, both horizontal panels and vertical panels were completely trashed with scratches.

This is the passenger side front corner of the hood...

Dull, hazy, filled with swirls and scratches and the clearcoat was no where near clear.

And this is off a BRAND NEW CAR?
    If you watched the Live Broadcast, you saw me clay most, not all but most of JUST the hood. Keep in mind this Camaro has only 2000 miles on it since purchased new. Look at all the brown crud that came off the hood using Blackfire Detailing Clay.

Where has this car been since rolling out of the assembly plant?
    Anyone want to guess what the brown stuff is?

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

Post Thanks / Like

Your car has a ceramic clear coat, as long as you use plenty of clay lube it shouldn't induce any swirls. Definitely do a test spot and see how it reacts.

I would use IronX before clay because a lot of what you're feeling is probably from railway transportation, so lots of rail dust.

Congrats on the new car!! I have a Tangerine Scream ST on order, won't be here until mid-November

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muahman View Post
    I doubt it's been sitting that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrKent View Post
    I would use IronX before clay because a lot of what you're feeling is probably from railway transportation, so lots of rail dust.
    muahman, the time element may not be the important thing, as TrKent says, it could happen very quickly during transport.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would guys suggest the paste, spray, or liquid version of the IronX? I'm leaning towards the spray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would guys suggest the paste, spray, or liquid version of the IronX? I'm leaning towards the spray.
    The spray, paste would be overkill.

Transmitted from my WiFi-enabled telegraph.

Owner of Dream Detail LLC

Post Thanks / Like

I did run a few searches on claying a new car but didn't really find the answer I was looking for. Maybe someone came help me out. Long story short:

Picked up a brand new 2013 Ford Focus ST in Tuxedo Black. Really amazing color with some almost color changing flek in it.

Surprisingly the dealership seems to have done a thorough delivery detailing. My paint is seemingly swirl free after inspection in my garage with a light. I'm 100% satisfied with the condition of my paint as it is. And this is my conundrum...

I did the standard two bucket wash. Cleaned it up nice. I wanted to hit with my Wolfgang Paint Sealant and a wax. Problem is when I do the baggie test I can definitely feel contamination in the paint. I have a couple of new Pinnacle clay bars. I really don't want to do it though. I think claying will only add swirls. Basically is it ok to seal and wax this car without a clay bar. I just need the best way to seal and wax the car with the paint in it's current condition.

Does that even make sense?

I agree with you - do not mess with it. You are only asking for trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have access to a DA I would IronX, clay and finally apply Optimum GPS (I love this stuff!) with a DA and any marring that you might have got will be polished out w/ the GPS while at the same time protecting the paint. Keep the clay well lubed and fold it often. That's what I would do, but if you're worried... just skip it. If it's a daily driver you WILL get swirls sooner or later and you could just clay and polish then.

GPS is a sprayable all in one by Optimum that has, surprisingly, very good correcting ability. You can top it with your WG sealant if you wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast