autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the ST, how is it to drive? Comparable to anything out there?

I'd go right ahead and clay and seal the car up the way you want to, that's what I did with my car last year, the next day I went to town on it and by the end of one week I had 7 coats of Zaino on the car (before I knew about AG)

Enjoy the new ride!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: '13 Focus ST Tuxedo Black... Should I clay?

Quote Originally Posted by muahman View Post
    I did run a few searches on claying a new car but didn't really find the answer I was looking for. Maybe someone came help me out. Long story short:

Picked up a brand new 2013 Ford Focus ST in Tuxedo Black. Really amazing color with some almost color changing flek in it.

Surprisingly the dealership seems to have done a thorough delivery detailing. My paint is seemingly swirl free after inspection in my garage with a light. I'm 100% satisfied with the condition of my paint as it is. And this is my conundrum...

I did the standard two bucket wash. Cleaned it up nice. I wanted to hit with my Wolfgang Paint Sealant and a wax. Problem is when I do the baggie test I can definitely feel contamination in the paint. I have a couple of new Pinnacle clay bars. I really don't want to do it though. I think claying will only add swirls. Basically is it ok to seal and wax this car without a clay bar. I just need the best way to seal and wax the car with the paint in it's current condition.

Does that even make sense?
    Well I understand why you dont want to claybar your car....its tireing and tideus. I dont use a claybar anymore but I use something alot faster, better and safer for the paint.

You say you can feel the contaminates on the paint so before you polish, lay sealant or wax you need to remove the contaminates before anything else or you should...I would and I do always.

I dont about Iron-X but I do know about the Nanoskin Autoscrubber for decontamination which I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muahman View Post

I think claying will only add swirls.
    Can anyone confirm? I've never heard of that statement before.
    "Hard work always beats talent, if talent don't work hard."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ARizzle View Post
    Can anyone confirm? I've never heard of that statement before.
    Sure, you can swirl your car with clay. Remember, you are removing contaminants with the clay, those contaminants can also cause swirling depending on how much pressure you are using, how good your lube is, how often you clean/knead the clay, etc.

Also, some clays have abrasives in them to help them work, so there is some possibilty of the clay itself causing marring, depending on the grade, etc.

This is why everyone is telling the OP to chemically remove what he can, then he can use an ultra-fine clay and hopefully there won't be much for it to take off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Sure, you can swirl your car with clay. Remember, you are removing contaminants with the clay, those contaminants can also cause swirling depending on how much pressure you are using, how good your lube is, how often you clean/knead the clay, etc.

Also, some clays have abrasives in them to help them work, so there is some possibilty of the clay itself causing marring, depending on the grade, etc.

This is why everyone is telling the OP to chemically remove what he can, then he can use an ultra-fine clay and hopefully there won't be much for it to take off.
    Alrighty, thanks for the reply!
    "Hard work always beats talent, if talent don't work hard."

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Congrats on the ST, how is it to drive? Comparable to anything out there?

I'd go right ahead and clay and seal the car up the way you want to, that's what I did with my car last year, the next day I went to town on it and by the end of one week I had 7 coats of Zaino on the car (before I knew about AG)

Enjoy the new ride!

Drives great. I'm really torn. I'm coming from a Genesis 3.8 Track. I miss the RWD of the Genesis but they seem equally fast. Focus handles better for sure. Genesis is way more fun off the line. The interior of the Focus is pretty damn amazing for a 25k car. Leather Recaro seats. Awesome sound system. Way less road noise than any hothatch i've been in (big seller for me). 4 Doors usable trunk. I'm loving this car. Did I mention the gearbox is like butter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever driven a Mazdaspeed 3? Love the new Focus ST and I see the Fiesta ST is up next....imagine how HOTT a Fusion ST would be!!!

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12