autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did 3m buy out meguiars

Heard that 3M bought out Meguiars a while back. Some people are saying that it is harder to get Meguiars products now. Has anyone heard this or can shed some light on it?

Mike Phillips

Re: Did 3m buy out meguiars

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cullen View Post
    Heard that 3M bought out Meguiars a while back. Some people are saying that it is harder to get Meguiars products now. Has anyone heard this or can shed some light on it?
    3M bought Meguiar's back in 2008, I was working for Meguiar's when it happened and my jaw literally dropped when my Manager, Mike Pennington called me to tell me the news.

When I started out for Meguiar's I was an outside sales rep and trainer, I competed head-to-head with the 3M reps.

Irony...

Post Thanks / Like

They purchased 100% of outstanding stocks in October of 2008. Megs products are as available as they ever were. New products and innovations have been introduced since also.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cullen View Post
    To answer your question, no it's not harder to get Meguiars products now, they were bought by 3M but really nothing has changed from a consumer point.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    To answer your question, no it's not harder to get Meguiars products now, they were bought by 3M but really nothing has changed from a consumer point.

Meghan's correct.

While at some company meetings during the transition, one of the things Dave Gunderson, the 3M Point Man for the transition stated that there were no plans to make any changes to a time-proven successful company.

He said the approach they were going to take is,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's the original thread posting the announcement.

NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc.

I don't chime in until page 19 and post #186 as I was off that day. It was posted during my day off in the middle of the week. At Meguiar's, when I taught a Saturday class, they would give me a weekday off the next week.

Post Thanks / Like

If anything, I think Megs products are more readily available than ever before.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    If anything, I think Megs products are more readily available than ever before.
    3M brings logistics, world wide shipping and world wide warehousing to the table like no other company on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like

When I talked with the 3M reps at "Back to the 50's" car show a few weeks backs they said that 3M will still have a small consumer line but their primary focus is going to be products for the commercial customers and body shops. Their booth was nothing but wet sanding supplies, compounds, and pneumatic buffers/sanders. The final polishes and waxes they were using on their test panels were from Meguiars.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I am out of M105 and both my local shops say they are having issues finding the product. I needed some to complete a customer vehicle.
    I have some Pinnacle swirl remover so I will use that. Just surprised that they both said they were having issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Try 3M Finsh it Compound and Polish if you wanna try something new. I love it and use it all the time now. I love it way better than M105. Granted, I couldn't find the sweet spot for M105 and was spending too much time cleaning it up vs getting great results with 3M Comp and cleaning up super fast. I know a lot of body shop suppliers have it locally if you can't wait for an AG delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast