autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tornador: compressor test

How much compressor is required to run the Tornador black, seems to be a fairly common question. I have a couple of different sizes of compressor and thought I would do a quick test to see what it really takes to run the Tornador.

The test was conducted as follows:
    Tornador black filled with water
    25' 3/8 air hose
    Regulator on the handle of Tornador to limit max air pressure at 90psi, and also to check when compressor output to gun dropped below 70psi.
    I ran the tornador until the compressor kicked on then released the trigger until the compressor motor cut out. Then I pulled the trigger fully until the compressor kicked back on or the pressure at the gun dropped below 70psi.

Heavy weight contender:

10HP 120 gallon tank 2 stage rated at 175psi at 35cfm

OK obvious overkill, this compressor would probably run a few Tornadors. I quit measuring after 3 minutes of wide open use. Pressure never went below 90psi, motor never started.

Middle weight:

5Hp 80 gallon, 2 stage, 175psi at 19cfm

At 3 minutes the pressure hadn't dropped below 90 to the gun. Motor was able to fill tank and kick off with trigger pulled.

Light weight:

"5hp" 25 gallon, 125psi, 90 psi at 7.1cfm

This poor compressor has been abused, abandened, and left outside for at least 10 years. I am not even sure if it is safe, but I pulled it in to the shop for a quick test. It charged up to 145psi and would run the Tornador for 45s before the motor would kick on. It would run the Tornador for a full 2 minutes before the pressure would drop below 70psi. At that level the Tornador becomes to underpowered for proper use.

Bantem:

"2hp, 4 gallon, 4.3cfm @100psi

Pushing the lower limit of usefulness here. While this will run a finish nailer with no problems. Using it to power the Tornador to clean a carpet would not be efficient. It would power the Tornador for about 9 seconds before it would kick on, the good thing was that it only needed 12 seconds to fully charge. This compressor could be used with the Tornador to clean dashes, maybe even door jams. Anything that needs the blast then wipe method. I think the small tank was the problem here.

Conclusion: A large storage tank or a high cfm compressor is the key to getting maximum benefit from the Tornador. A large tank would allow you to blast around with the Tornador, then wipe clean with a rag while recharging the tank. Since large tanks are cheaper than high cfm compressors, go with the biggest tank you can find. I would recomend at least a 5cfm compressor with a 10 gallon tank at the minimum, a 25 gallon tank would be even better.

Z-020 Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun, Z-020 Tornador Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornador: compressor test

Thanks, steved! This is the most comprehensive and usable review of air compressors used with the Black Tornador I've ever read. Now I have a better idea of what to look for in an air compressor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwgreen6 View Post
    Thanks, steved! This is the most comprehensive and usable review of air compressors used with the Black Tornador I've ever read. Now I have a better idea of what to look for in an air compressor!!
    You're welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Steved,

What do you use to eliminate moisture in the lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david79z28 View Post
    Steved,

What do you use to eliminate moisture in the lines?
    With the Tornador I don't worry about moisture in the lines, but for painting I do have a refrigerated dryer at the tank and a dessicant dryer on the outlet side.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent information. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very good test. I think a lot of people are curious about this!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon me for reviving this old thread but as a newbie in detailing, I still find this informative.

I'm currently looking for a decent air compressor that'd allow me to work using my Tornador Black. I'm on a limited budget so I looked for one that would fit my needs. Here's the specification of the one that I found: 1HP, 6 cfm, with 88L (23 gal) tank capacity... How long will I be able to use my Tornador before it starts recharging the tank?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daimler View Post
    Pardon me for reviving this old thread but as a newbie in detailing, I still find this informative.

I'm currently looking for a decent air compressor that'd allow me to work using my Tornador Black. I'm on a limited budget so I looked for one that would fit my needs. Here's the specification of the one that I found: 1HP, 6 cfm, with 88L (23 gal) tank capacity... How long will I be able to use my Tornador before it starts recharging the tank?
    Not long at all
    Harrisonburg's #1 Recommended Detailer - RawDetail.com - DetalingAddict.com

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 30 seconds

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast