autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which machine

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which machine

Quote Originally Posted by nhsmoker View Post
    upon researching I heard the griots can not use smaller backing plates as their backing plate design is different from the other manufactures. according to what I read they do not have the same center post design as the pc. can someone who has the griots confirm this? also is that a big deal to any of you? Is 1 size pad fine for all uses?
    I have no experience with the Griot's machine however all of the "Porter Cable" clones use the same attachments....I'm curious to what others have to say..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I have no experience with the Griot's machine however all of the "Porter Cable" clones use the same attachments....I'm curious to what others have to say..
    On another forum where I had found this info one of the guys that owns the machine said he pulled it apart and it was a 4 screw system and another member had said he called griots customer service and they told him that the machine has its own backing plate system that is not compatible with other da polishers. I ma wondering if things are the same now.

Post Thanks / Like

upon researching I heard the griots can not use smaller backing plates as their backing plate design is different from the other manufactures. according to what I read they do not have the same center post design as the pc. can someone who has the griots confirm this? also is that a big deal to any of you? Is 1 size pad fine for all uses?
    I have the Griot's and have a Lake Coutry 5in backing plate on it now. You might be thinking about the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

On another forum where I had found this info one of the guys that owns the machine said he pulled it apart and it was a 4 screw system and another member had said he called griots customer service and they told him that the machine has its own backing plate system that is not compatible with other da polishers. I ma wondering if things are the same now.
    That was one or two generations ago...if you look at the current machine you can see it has a backing plate just like a PC etc. Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That was one or two generations ago...if you look at the current machine you can see it has a backing plate just like a PC etc. Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher
    This was exactly the info I was looking for. I was wondering how current the info I had seen was. So basically the old griots did not have a interchangeable backing plate but current models do. Thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like

This was exactly the info I was looking for. I was wondering how current the info I had seen was. So basically the old griots did not have a interchangeable backing plate but current models do. Thank you very much
    I want to say the current version is the third. The first was clearly an adapted sander and still had the vacuum duct for dust removal as well as the fixed backing plate. It wasn't that you couldn't change the backing plate, it was just there were no other backing plates that fit it. This was circa Jan. 2006, BTW.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

one more question. I have access to festool random orbit sanders at work and I have heard sanders wont have enough power to use as a polisher but I am certain this one will if I were to try it out what size pads would go with a 6" backing plate I also have makita orbital buffers but am not sure I want to try those out yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12