autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you stay away from holograms?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I dont use a rotary, but, I would think using one for wax application is kinda like using a chainsaw to trim the grass on your sidewalk.
    Great Analysis
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

holograms are from using a rotary polisher. Not a DA. If you have ever seen one of those poorly polished black cars that lok like they have comet trails all over the paint, those are holograms. Once you have seen them, there is no mistaking what they are. Start looking at the paint on every car you see on the road (all geeks do that anyway).

Everything I have read said the same thing, but I just used a DA (w/ MG ultimate compund & ultimate polish, I have not gotten into the professional line yet) and I have crazy vertical holograms going up and down the door....so what did i do wrong with my DA? Its a giots I used white CCS pads for both steps, would a softer pad same product work to eliminate them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marsomthing View Post
    Everything I have read said the same thing, but I just used a DA (w/ MG ultimate compund & ultimate polish, I have not gotten into the professional line yet) and I have crazy vertical holograms going up and down the door....so what did i do wrong with my DA? Its a giots I used white CCS pads for both steps, would a softer pad same product work to eliminate them?
    Do you have pics?

At first guess I would think you may be working it too long and therefore working it dry. The products you are using and the pad are appropriate. White pads should be somewhat gentle.

Also, try cleaning the panel with IPA or MS or Dawn wash. Maybe you are seeing polishing oils that you did not get all the way off.

Pics would be very helpful.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

If I can tomorrow I will break out the camera, I got out all the swirls I was trying to but took it out in the sun and saw them...

If I worked a product to much would that explain all the "dust" blown bits left above my door? Would less section passes work?

Speaking of product... I have always used the line Autozone etc carries( I guess its the general market easy use line)

...how much better is this numbered line Meguiers makes (#80, 105, 205) Are they kind of like a more expierenced persons line? or just something like a step above the line major stores carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have pics?

At first guess I would think you may be working it too long and therefore working it dry. The products you are using and the pad are appropriate. White pads should be somewhat gentle.

Also, try cleaning the panel with IPA or MS or Dawn wash. Maybe you are seeing polishing oils that you did not get all the way off.

Pics would be very helpful.

here is a crappy picture...in the sun these streaks/holograms are all over....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you stay away from holograms?-imag0499-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

If I can tomorrow I will break out the camera, I got out all the swirls I was trying to but took it out in the sun and saw them...

If I worked a product to much would that explain all the "dust" blown bits left above my door? Would less section passes work?

Speaking of product... I have always used the line Autozone etc carries( I guess its the general market easy use line)

...how much better is this numbered line Meguiers makes (#80, 105, 205) Are they kind of like a more expierenced persons line? or just something like a step above the line major stores carry.
    I would give UC a very high grade. Easier to work with then 105. Doesnt cut quite as fast.

Havent used UP. I have used SwirlX which is similar and a fine product.

Hard to tell from that pic. Try hitting again with UP on clean pad. Work less passes. Only 3 or 4 section passes. With SMAT products you dont have to work until broken down. Clean with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) when done to ensure oils are removed. Re-evaluate paint to see if removed.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Something else I thought of during the night. Did you clean and clay the car real well? That part of the car is usually very dirty and gritty. I wonder if you picked up a contaminate from behind the front tires and marred your door with it? Be sure to inspect your pads for grit. You might try going back over it with clay before repolishing.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

here is a crappy picture...in the sun these streaks/holograms are all over....
    That doesn't look like holograms to me. How many passes with your DA and UC did you do? Did you use the rotary on it beforehand? Was there any wetsanding involved?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That doesn't look like holograms to me. How many passes with your DA and UC did you do? Did you use the rotary on it beforehand? Was there any wetsanding involved?
    I did around 4-6 passes. i did not use a rotary or wet sanding. I used a griots polisher speed 5. LIke I said before my goal was to remove the swirls which I dida good job...Ill try some of the suggestions and see what happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast