autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PFAS and detailing products?

Hello everyone.
    I'm curious if anyone here has investigated this topic and what they might have learned.
    I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that many of the synthetic hydrophobic products I use may include PFAS and what it means to have my hands in them and likely be inhaling/ingesting some of it.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PFAS and detailing products?

Most of the products use silicones, the only product I can think of that actually has a fluoropolymer in it is Optimum Instant Detailer (OID). If I were you I'd be more concerned about contact through food packaging; these substances are used to make paper products water and grease resistant, so things like paper plates and fast food packaging.

3. Thanks vaced thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Most of the products use silicones, the only product I can think of that actually has a fluoropolymer in it is Optimum Instant Detailer (OID). If I were you I'd be more concerned about contact through food packaging; these substances are used to make paper products water and grease resistant, so things like paper plates and fast food packaging.

Appreciate the response. I am familiar with food-related product issue (and everything from the flame retarder and stain protector in sofas to the waterproofing on outdoor gear).
    I was hoping that most of the auto care products I use were silicone based. I wish there were a way to know for certain.

The only articles I've found online are sort of generic pieces on PFAS where car care products are listed as a source and news items like this one where car washes are found to be sources of local contamination.
    Your browser is not supported | seacoastonline.com

Post Thanks / Like

MSDS (now SDS) are available for many detailing products. That should clearly show you if there are any perfluorinated ingredients.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are bathing in it daily, I wouldn't worry about it.

Walking by a running dump truck belching out diesel fumes is probably 10 times more unhealthy than whatever PFAS a detailing product may impart to you.

If you are worried about it, just work smart and use nitrile gloves, and/or thoroughly wash your hands after use.

JMO........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about detailing chemicals...then are you worried about whats in your drinking water? Floride, atrazine, clorine and so much more. Its more important mainly if you have city water. What about toothpaste..do you use floride free? Alummium free deoderant? Mrna shots?...shitt the list goes on and on

I guess what im trying to say is, i woukdnt worry about it, and if you are do like pauly said and wear gloves or try to look up sds sheets
    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk