autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Enthusiast Posibble Pro !

Quote Originally Posted by ACCLAY View Post
    Thank You! How did/do you determine the hardness of the paint? I looked every where....maybe I did not look in the right place!
    You determine it when you throw everything you've got at it, including microfiber pads and you still can't get full correction... My daily driver had to be wet sanded to finally cut through all the defects. [they were major defects, but the paint was a beast]

The paint on my trunk looks good, I'd say it's about 90% defect free, but I've come to accept that last 10% is impossible to achieve.

Similar deal when I polished my brothers Cadillac, his paint had major contaminants but otherwise the swirls weren't too bad. I thought I could take it easy and go with Meguiars M205, didn't remove anything, not even slightly... I ended up having to use Megs microfiber pads w/D300 and work very slow to get about 90% there. [mainly it was the trunk and roof that were super hard]

If it doesn't wind up having hard paint, consider yourself lucky... But then again, I'd take hard paint over soft finicky paint any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Enthusiast Posibble Pro !

I did one a few weeks back and used essence with the GG6 and BOSS MF cutting pad, great results and the paint was a bit on the harder side so a few extra passes might be needed.

Enthusiast  Posibble Pro !-1490712076710-jpgEnthusiast  Posibble Pro !-1490712149725-jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I did one a few weeks back and used essence with the GG6 and BOSS MF cutting pad, great results and the paint was a bit on the harder side so a few extra passes might be needed.

Enthusiast  Posibble Pro !-1490712076710-jpgEnthusiast  Posibble Pro !-1490712149725-jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Did it feel/do you think you were cutting, or filling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ACCLAY View Post
    Hello all! I am new to this Forum/Group.
    I have been a detailing Fanboy for years, only really escalating in the past 3 or 4 to try make a go at being professional
    !
    My first real paying gig will be a 2006 Black CTS Cadillac. This car has not been detailed at ALL for the past 3 years, AND.....the owner is the 2nd owner. So there is no telling what has not been done to this Car. I have seen the car after it has been washed and the swirls and scratches are very visible. I was around the car last nite and also noticed the sand paper sound when I ran my hand over a certain spots.
    I am also a Chemical Guys Fanboy as well! This is how I am going to attack this project:

2 Bucket Hand Wash w/HoneyDew & Foam Cannon
    Heavy Duty Clay Bar
    V36& V38 Polishing Compound w/DA Polisher to remove swirls and scratches . I am not comfortable enough to use V34 yet.
    For a protective coating I will be using EZ CREME GLAZE
    Then I will follow that with Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish Gloss
    Then as my Carnauba Wax, I will be using Black Luminous Glow Infusion.
    My Detail Spray of choice is V7. I love this stuff because it removes water spots as well, which is a plus for me because our water system here is Hard as Hell!
    For the Wheels and Tires, I will be using Pro Iron(think I might have to buy a floor jack to take them tires off. quite sure the brake dust has grown children) Then wash with
    Diablo Wheel Cleaner. For Wax on the Rims I use Max Guard. My wife drives a CLA 250 sport with the big Disc Brakes, I do or did catch hell with the Brake Dust Build Up but since I started using Wheel Guard, It's not much of a hassle anymore!
    Last but not least, to shine the shoes up...I use Slik Shine. It's waterbased so when someone rubs up against the tires they will not have marks from my tires on them.
    Now...I can not say what the inside of this Caddy looks like. I hope The Owner has taken good care of it. I am taking one for the Team on this, The owner of the car works with my wife and I need the Advertisement so I could not charge her what I would of charged anyone else!
    Hopefully this Intro was not to winded! I love talking about Detailing vehicles and the process that I go thru!
    CHOW!

I love it to kid but I don't do it for money because it takes me three full 8 hour days to do it the way I want. How long u figure for that job?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'm not sure what V34 is capable of, but if you're not comfortable enough to use it you might want to start doing so with this job, because a good majority of Cadillacs have some of the hardest factory paint known to man.
    What year is your Kia? Mines a 2014 and I think it has hard paint. What about you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    What year is your Kia? Mines a 2014 and I think it has hard paint. What about you?
    Also 2014. If I had to call it I'd say the paint's on the hard side and certainly not soft. However the hood seems to be totally different, and while it's not necessarily susceptible to wash induced swirling, every time I've tried to put a buffer on it it scratches the hell out of it. Paint's weird on the hood, otherwise it's cool paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I love it to kid but I don't do it for money because it takes me three full 8 hour days to do it the way I want. How long u figure for that job?
    Not Sure. I just did my own, 2016 CLA 250 which had minor swirls and scratches. That took me just under 16 hours. So with the Caddy being longer, and in much worse condition, I'm looking at just under 24 hours. I may not be able to do it the way I want, Detailing is not my Full Time. As for doing it for money.....that's still debatable! I'm only charging because I know a few of them will let my work go to waste. And I am getting beat up because either they are family or family friends! But my time is still valuable.
    One thing though, I see a lot of acronyms here like: GG 6 Boss MF. I know what MF is...MICRO FIBRE but what all the others? Is there a glossary somewhere in this forum that I can look it up?
    ​@FREAKIN52 AUTO DETAILING!

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as you step away from the "comfort" of the chemical guys lineup your work will VASTLY improve. I spent a year using their stuff and thought it was perfect, then I did my research and stepped into the menzerna type products and man what a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't say that! I just spent well over $400 on their products. Well...I'll just have to use what I have for now, since Detailing is just a side gig. But I will be doing a lot more studying.
    ​@FREAKIN52 AUTO DETAILING!

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch my man...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast