autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Advice

Personally, I'd save your $$ as some other guys have said.

But, looking back at my own youth, I probably dumped more than 10k on my two Chevelles trying to turn them from 400 hp into 600 hp, and then......... well, you get the idea.

So, me at 47 says "save your money". But me at 18 wouldn't agree, and would call my 47 year-old self an "Old Assh*le" lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Personally, I'd save your $$ as some other guys have said.

But, looking back at my own youth, I probably dumped more than 10k on my two Chevelles trying to turn them from 400 hp into 600 hp, and then......... well, you get the idea.

So, me at 47 says "save your money". But me at 18 wouldn't agree, and would call my 47 year-old self an "Old Assh*le" lol
    Lol I've only put like $1000 into my truck mostly just maintenance such as tires, oil changes and other stuff but these rims will be my first real purchase for my truck and I am very proud of it.Some Advice Some Advice

Sent from my XT1650 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

If it means anything I'm 22 (I know all the ol' timers are chiming in lmao) but I honestly would save the money, I myself do have aftermarket wheels on my car but I work at a tire shop so got them at cost but I went with the same size that I took off didn't go up in size at all, a lot of times younger people come in (18 to 20) and want wheels and are ready to throw down 1,500 for some wheels and tires but there front ends are bout to fall apart but don't want to fix it at all and believe me I've tired talking people out of buying wheels just for the fact of sometimes you gotta do the right thing and it's more important to repair a control arm that's about to fall of your car then to have some "cool" looking wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It doesn't play out the same way for everyone, he could have a mini van in place of his truck in 10yrs, and then what? Lol.
    A minivan? Nnnnnnoooooooooooohhhhhhh!
    Well, I guess the girl of his dreams could supplant the truck of his dreams, making the kids of his dreams… but then he would definitely need the Roth IRA. So that when the kids are grown he could buy a new truck of his dreams.
    @Eldorado2k - Glad you made it home safely. Nice meeting you tonight. That was a good time.
    @Eddieg711 - Lots of sage advice here. Says a lot that you've asked for it. Good luck whichever choice you make!
    Last edited by FlyinLow; 03-24-2017 at 05:23 AM. Reason: OCD
    1994 300ZX 2+2 MT, sole owner, 239K mi
    2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD
    2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS

Post Thanks / Like

I say save your money, if it took all year to save up 1300 dollars then your discretionary budget is small. Pick up trucks (and lots of other cars) can run up a 1000$ repair bill very easily and wouldn't it be nice to have that money for that repair already saved. Build your self a nest egg and make life less stress full don't get stuck in the paycheck to paycheck cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure some Bluetooth cowboy in your area with a new Denali put a lift kit and giant tires on it and will sell you there 22" take offs you can plasti dip them black and have a new look.

I would say save your money for just in case real world happenings but we have all been there and "bought the wheels" lol.

I mean what if your trans starts slipping next week that's gonna be more than $1300 then what. New wheels and can't drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinLow View Post
    A minivan? Nnnnnnoooooooooooohhhhhhh!
    Well, I guess the girl of his dreams could supplant the truck of his dreams, making the kids of his dreams… but then he would definitely need the Roth IRA. So that when the kids are grown he could buy a new truck of his dreams.
    @Eldorado2k - Glad you made it home safely. Nice meeting you tonight. That was a good time.
    @Eddieg711 - Lots of sage advice here. Says a lot that you've asked for it. Good luck whichever choice you make!
    Lol made me laugh, anyways man I do appreciate your advice ND everybody else's. So on that note I shall keep on dreaming!!! No but seriously man I just feel that everybody has done spendings to please themselves like somebody else has said, people spend 2-3k on unnecessary wedding rings or $600 to work on a car that's flawless. Everyone has their own tastes, if my truck was a 4x4 sheez then I would definitely put a lift kit and some nice tires on it and I bet I would have gotten more support for that lmao but it's only 2wd so I feel that a nice lil lowering kit and some rims will do. Saving money for my future is coming very soon, especially now since my truck is finally paid for which means extra $400 each month to begin saving. Some Advice Some Advice

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I'm sure some Bluetooth cowboy in your area with a new Denali put a lift kit and giant tires on it and will sell you there 22" take offs you can plasti dip them black and have a new look.

I would say save your money for just in case real world happenings but we have all been there and "bought the wheels" lol.

I mean what if your trans starts slipping next week that's gonna be more than $1300 then what. New wheels and can't drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know what you mean it's always good to have backup cash but it's my last real big spending for a while at least appearance wise, as far as tranny and everything else, truck is in great shape and pushing hard. I've always done my maintenance and have had my truck serviced to make sure everything is running as it should be. But in case something does happen I've still got some back up money which should continue to growSome Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Invest the money as a few others have stated.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Even if he keeps it like this for a couple yrs, it'll add resale value to it.

Lifes too short to not drive the ride of your dreams if it's attainable. $1300? Some people pay that for just tires.. I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone

I left it up to him.
    I've modded several of cars over the years. It is a rare that mods add any appreciable resale value to a car. Even of they do, it is a horrible (read negative) return. In 2-3 years, those wheels might be rashed or a style or size the next owner couldn't care less about.

Even if there is any added value, since you want to look at it like an investment...do the math. $800 for wheels, you may get an extra $400 back, if you are lucky. You might as well have stuck with the stock wheels and hand the next person that owns it $400.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast