autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some Advice

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post
    I left it up to him.
    I've modded several of cars over the years. It is a rare that mods add any appreciable resale value to a car. Even of they do, it is a horrible (read negative) return. In 2-3 years, those wheels might be rashed or a style or size the next owner couldn't care less about.

Even if there is any added value, since you want to look at it like an investment...do the math. $800 for wheels, you may get an extra $400 back, if you are lucky. You might as well have stuck with the stock wheels and hand the next person that owns it $400.
    I've already taken all this into account, and know about the resale value but I just don't like the stock truck look. Yeah in 2-3 years if I do decide to sell my truck the rims probably won't add more value to the car but at least I would be able to look back and always admire the work I put into this truck. P.s still haven't bought any rims since I did try looking for stock rims but they just don't look any appealing to me and even if I don't buy replicas I'll still buy some sort of good brand aftermarket wheels that I have searched and in total is still about $1200-$1500. I've done lots of research, and which ever choice I end up going with I know it will be good and if not then I owe you all an apology.

Sent from my XT1650 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that with any rims, if you get low profile tires, you will be spending a lot of money on replacing/fixing tires and rims. I would imagine you are getting low profile tires for these, if I am wrong, I apologize in advance. Here's my story. I purchased the rim and tire protection for both of my MBs because of that issue. On my wife's MB truck w 20" AMG rims, we've replaced 5 tires and 1 rim, and had rims repaired 3 times in approximately 3 years. On my CLS I have replaced 1 tire in the 4 months I have owned it. I only pay a $50 copay per tire incident, 0$ for rims. If you do the math, had i not spent the money on the rim and tire protection package up front I would have spent many thousands of dollars fixing those issues. The protection packages have already paid for themselves. Typically, OEM size is the best, and sticking with it is wise. However, if you want to look cool, just remember you have to pay to play. I pay, but oh well. Good luck w whatever you choose to do.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    I will say that with any rims, if you get low profile tires, you will be spending a lot of money on replacing/fixing tires and rims. I would imagine you are getting low profile tires for these, if I am wrong, I apologize in advance. Here's my story. I purchased the rim and tire protection for both of my MBs because of that issue. On my wife's MB truck w 20" AMG rims, we've replaced 5 tires and 1 rim, and had rims repaired 3 times in approximately 3 years. On my CLS I have replaced 1 tire in the 4 months I have owned it. I only pay a $50 copay per tire incident, 0$ for rims. If you do the math, had i not spent the money on the rim and tire protection package up front I would have spent many thousands of dollars fixing those issues. The protection packages have already paid for themselves. Typically, OEM size is the best, and sticking with it is wise. However, if you want to look cool, just remember you have to pay to play. I pay, but oh well. Good luck w whatever you choose to do.
    Yeah but it also depends how your streets are, how you drive and the weather. Where I live the weather is not to bad we don't get any snow or any harsh weather so it's usually always beautiful weather. Streets are only bad in the Eastern part of time but I never go down there. And my driving consists of always trying to expect the unexpected and mostly just cruising. I am nowhere near a hardcore speeder or maniac, that's why when I have school or work I always leave about half an hour to an hour early to make sure I get there with time to spare. Lots of my friends here have 22s,24s and even 26s rims and tires and they hardly experience any real problem other then themselves not being careful. As for the tires they offer I looked up information and checked their reviews and how long their life expectancy are and it seems quite good. I do need to ask them if they offer warranty for them that way in case something does happen it can be fixed at little to no cost. Thanks for your guidance, helps out a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Your heart is set on the rims. They'll look nice. But I agree with those that suggest saving the money. You may be completely correct. But you're banking on a lot of things that are unsure, about getting your dream job, etc.

Debbie Downer here, but I've been told my whole life that if you aren't content with what you have, getting more things isn't going to fix it. I guess what I'm saying is, like someone else said, it's a rabbit hole. Almost any time I've spent money on something I had to justify to myself, I had to spend more money on it than I originally anticipated, for one reason or another.

On the plus side, all the negative responses may make you try even harder to prove them wrong and make you more of a success.

I say these things from personal experience.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

Some Advice

I'd like to clarify: I didn't mean that buying the wheels & tires is an investment.. All I said was that having an upgraded set of wheels & tires sure doesn't hurt and would net more value to a vehicle than without.

Another thing that I can't help but take into consideration is the fact that he mentioned that he recently finished paying off the truck... Meaning he no longer has to pay a $400 per month car note. Just another reason alot of you are blowing this way out of proportion.

I can't help but think what a huge life decision it would be for most parents of young people these days if they actually had to fork out the full entire price of their children's smartphones. We're talking $700-$900 you'd have to pay in full and up front in order for these spoiled children these days to yack on the phone and keep up with the Jones'
    Would you pay $700+tax up front for your 11yr olds smartphone? I'm guessing no.

On the other hand OP is spending his own hard earned money. This is after having payed off his truck in full. Why is he being treated like this?? You act like you never bought yourself something you wanted. It's only $1,300 bucks! Smh.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaGP View Post
    Your heart is set on the rims. They'll look nice. But I agree with those that suggest saving the money. You may be completely correct. But you're banking on a lot of things that are unsure, about getting your dream job, etc.

Debbie Downer here, but I've been told my whole life that if you aren't content with what you have, getting more things isn't going to fix it. I guess what I'm saying is, like someone else said, it's a rabbit hole. Almost any time I've spent money on something I had to justify to myself, I had to spend more money on it than I originally anticipated, for one reason or another.

On the plus side, all the negative responses may make you try even harder to prove them wrong and make you more of a success.

I say these things from personal experience.
    Yeah I know dream job is just a dream job until it's actually achieved. Even if I don't get this job I will not let myself work minimum wage for the rest of my life, I have back up plans that I know I can fall back on and still have good future ahead of me as long as I want to work my ass off till retirement. I've also have proved people wrong and like you said I use this towards motivation. I've been told I would never lose weight, I wouldn't make it in college or that I would never break out of the shell that held me back from being an outgoing person. Yet here I am 50 pounds lighter and in shape, finishing second year of college and working in an environment that constantly involves interaction with people and I enjoy it. Just gotta keep moving forward and putting in work and the doors slowly begin to open.Some Advice

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir no more payments😁 nothing but money being saved after this purchase. I just recently bought myself a new phone after using my dad's old phone that many people called a brick because it was like one of the first smartphones to come out and was so out dated lol. Even then I didn't get no super high end phone just something that can do the job and still doesn't leave me to far behind everyone else. Also thanks for the advice and I could easily sell my truck and buy a new vehicle but I see no point in that especially since I would then have to be stuck on payments for another 3-5 years when I could be using that money as an investment or just continue to save it up.

Post Thanks / Like

One never knows what tomorrow holds...you saved specifically for the rims, you now have the $$, so get 'em if that's what you want to do.

Should it turn out to be a fiscal misjudgement, it's a relatively cheap lesson. If not, it puts a smile on your face...put a price on that.

The 'smart' things in life aren't always fun and the 'fun' things in life aren't always smart. Strike a reasonable balance. But be sure to have fun...it's the smartest thing you can do in this bizarro world.

EDIT: And if at all possible, marry rich and be a kept man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'd like to clarify: I didn't mean that buying the wheels & tires is an investment.. All I said was that having an upgraded set of wheels & tires sure doesn't hurt and would net more value to a vehicle than without.

Another thing that I can't help but take into consideration is the fact that he mentioned that he recently finished paying off the truck... Meaning he no longer has to pay a $400 per month car note. Just another reason alot of you are blowing this way out of proportion.

I can't help but think what a huge life decision it would be for most parents of young people these days if they actually had to fork out the full entire price of their children's smartphones. We're talking $700-$900 you'd have to pay in full and up front in order for these spoiled children these days to yack on the phone and keep up with the Jones'

On the other hand OP is spending his own hard earned money. This is after having payed off his truck in full. Why is he being treated like this?? You act like you never bought yourself something you wanted. It's only $1,300 bucks! Smh.
    Im not saying he shouldn't buy it, im just saying i wouldn't buy it, No problem spending money here, I just think its to much of a hassle to change them out every winter plus you know they will end up pitted on a daily driver. That aftermarket chrome does not hold up like an oem product

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

I guess I look at it differently. He asked advice, so he got it. If he hadn't asked, no way would I have said that. So it's not being "treated like this". It's not something against him. It's just answering what he asked.

I see your point of view, and I gave my point of view. That's all it is. It did come across rather negative, so to the OP, I apologize for that! Like I said, I think they'll look nice. I was simply answering what he asked. It's not a personal attack.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast