autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some Advice

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Advice

Quote Originally Posted by yg1829 View Post
    Hey man, do what makes you happy. If getting wheels and tires for your truck makes you happy then rock on! But...do think about all your options so you can be happy with any decision you make.

One thing I will say is stay away from replica wheels. It's not worth your saftey or your money. The first wheel looks like a replica all terrain wheel. Buy a wheel from a reputable manufacturer. A lot of time these cheep wheels have finish issues too aside from saftey issues.

Bottom line is if your gonna do it do it right. Don't cut corners.

A really good set of wheels and tires is gonna be more than $1300. I bought a set in that price range before and the chrome was peeling of after a year.

I've been down this road before with customizing vehicles and I've told my self the same thing..."this is the last thing I need" well it never is. It's a very deep rabbit hole. So be careful. If you really only are getting wheels then cool.

It's hard to say if I could do it all over again whether I would or not. Would I save my money or build two vehicles. I really did gain a lot of knowledge from what I did. Which was more than wheels and tires but it sure would be nice to have all that money for a project vehicle now. When I sold those vehicles I never got half that money back but that's just the name of the game when you customize vehicles.

So again, do what makes you happy but do think about your future. I was young and would have never listened if someone told me to save my money.

Most important thing is to do your research and educate yourself on the things you want to do so you can make educated decisions. Make smart choices and you'll be good to go.

Hope I didn't confuse you more than help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Hey Thanks for the advice I greatly appreciate it. It has been a dream for me for quite a while ever since I got my truck and I feel like it is time for me to get her some new shoes. I know about the problems with some replicas but I've got a few friends that recommended me this shop. They have some really good feedback online and I've got friends and family that shop there all the time and never had an issue with the rims other then themselves driving into curbs and stuff. If I do get some I will most definitely keep them for years to come until I finish school and get into my dream job.

Sent from my XT1650 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Advice-1490199548922-jpgSome Advice-1490199711517-jpg My truck now stock vs how I dream of having it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do what you want, but do get a quality set. I used to work in the auto salvage industry and have seen many cheap wheels that basically disintegrated from the wreck, where a stock wheel would have remained intact.

I have a set a BBSs off a friend of mines Sti that he hit a curb with going about 60mph. You can hardly tell they are damaged. It was such an impact that it rounded out the shock tower and shifted fender into the windshield. He was able to limp home them. Few months and cheap set of later, he wrecked again. I think one wheel make through unbroken. Not bent or cracked, completely broken.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are only going to keep the truck another 2-3 years, is it really worth spending the money to you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    If you DO need new tires:
    get them (Safety First).
    But buy them to fit the original
    equipment (OEM) wheels.

Please, for goodness' sake, forget
    about those wheels that you posted.

Bob
    Don't listen to him^ He's like 100 [yrs old] Lol.
    I'm just messing with ya, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    You are young, you have the rest of your life for nice rims
    It doesn't play out the same way for everyone, he could have a mini van in place of his truck in 10yrs, and then what? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post
    If you are only going to keep the truck another 2-3 years, is it really worth spending the money to you?
    Even if he keeps it like this for a couple yrs, it'll add resale value to it.

Lifes too short to not drive the ride of your dreams if it's attainable. $1300? Some people pay that for just tires.. I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I agree with Bob in a way. I loathe aftermarket wheels. Unless you have the cash to get some very high dollar wheels, like BBS, I wouldn't go that route.

If it were me, I would see if your vehicle came in another factory trim package where you do like the wheels. Then, look for quality refurb set of those factory wheels.

22" wheels seem way huge to me. I could be an old fart, but I would never go bigger than what the manufacturer made OE for the vehicle. I just don't get why people put lower profile tires on a truck or SUV? Seems like it would compromise the handling of the vehicle, diminish its off-road capacity, and make it more susceptible to pot hole / wheel damage.

Then again, if you don't care about any of this stuff and just want to go for the look you like - go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in from the camp you probably don't want to hear from.

As others have said, I would be very leery of inexpensive wheels. Especially replica wheels. As a technician, I see a lot of people put on replica wheels (or just cheap wheels in general), and the quality of the aluminum used and (and the finish on them) is generally really poor. I don't work on domestic trucks, but my tool guys have talked about shops that do having trucks come in where the barrel of the wheel split from the face (bye bye tire!). Yikes.

If your truck is due for tires, just put the money towards good tires. My coworker has a '14 Silverado and he said it made a HUGE difference just replacing the original equipment tires.
    If you want to personalize it, do some research and make a project of doing a quality Plasti-dip paint job on them. Not my cup of tea, but something you could do for less dough. Another benefit to that - Wheels are very much a personal taste item. You might love them, but then they completely turn someone else off on the whole truck (if you were selling it later). And $XXXX in wheels and tires add nothing to the value of the truck IMHO. A good plasti-dip job should be able to be pulled off and brought back to stock.

Good on you for budgeting and saving the dough. My only other thought would be to save some cash for a rainy day. So you spend $1300 on aftermarket wheels today, but tomorrow your water pump pours coolant. If funds are really tight, then what?

Sorry to be a Debbie-downer, just looking at it from my shoes. That being said, when I was younger I was very good at saving up a chunk of cash, blowing it, then repeating. Chances are good in your head you'd already picked your path, and are just looking for some affirmation. (Done that too! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg711 View Post
    So guys after about a good year or so of saving up my money, I have finally saved up to by myself a set of 22" rims with a tire package for my GMC Sierra. The tires that come I have read a bit about them and they seem to be pretty good tires. Now my question is should I buy these rims and tires for $1300 or should I just keep on saving my money? I do plan on keeping my truck till I finish school which won't be for another 2-3 years. What do you guys think?

Being a father and a financial advisor I feel you should put that money away for something more meaningful than some tires and wheels on a truck you say will likely have only a few more years. If you need tires replace them and if not either save the money or invest it to pay your student debt or other more important longer term goal.

But it's your money and you can do with it how ever you feel.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn QC True Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg711 View Post
    I have finally saved up to by myself
    a set of 22" rims with a tire package
    for my GMC Sierra.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing 22" wheels do on a truck is make it ride like garbage.

It's your money, do what you want.

I was well into my 30s before I owned a vehicle that was worth keeping nice. When you look back, the rims that were on your ride won't matter. If you want a change in looks, I agree with the others that say check out other OEM options and save your hard earned cash.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast