autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

California Water Regulations

I'm curious as to how the rest of you hurdle all the strict water regulations. Although each city and county have their own regulations, ultimately the state does not allow any water runoff from vehicles to enter the storm drain.

I understand there are options such as rinseless and waterless washes, and I have no problem using them. However, sometimes those products just won't cut it with a seriously dirty car. How about engine bay or complete wheel cleaning? I can't see any profitable methods of cleaning your wheels or engine bay without a traditional hose. I also know there are options such as mats you roll the vehicle over so you can trap the nasty water, suck it up, and dispose of it to a safe area later, but seriously, who wants to do that?

As a new detailer trying to get a business going, I'm very interested in hearing what some of you detailers do to navigate these restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: California Water Regulations

With those water regulations is going to be tough.maybe buy a wash berm.A wash berm is a tube that sucks up waste water then its recovery is from a wet vac,but what do you do with all that water.Im not a fan of Rw washing or ww washing good luck investigating a remedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Several options.

- A cheap steam cleaner is great for both cleaning and blowing out cracks and crevices.
    Good for engine cleaning as well.
    Look into McCullloch 1385.

- Air Tools (Requires Air Compressor).
    Air guns and The Tornador are pretty much a necessity for interiors.
    They are also great for blowing out external cracks and crevices, and assisting with engine cleaning.

- Water sold by the gallon.
    You can always purchase water at the grocery store by the gallon.
    Yes it will cost you a few bucks, but you will have water.

- Trigger Spray Bottles filled with water.
    Easy to over look, but a very useful way to have water on demand.
    The trigger sprayers can displace decent water pressure when placed on jet setting.
    You may be surprised how capable this approach is.

- Pump Gallon Sprayers.
    I have find that the 2 gallon pump sprayers to be most useful.
    Once the canister is compressed, you can get a good amount of working time , as well as good water pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperbShineDetail View Post

As a new detailer trying to get a business going in CA, I'm very interested in hearing what some of you detailers do to navigate these restrictions.
    California guy here. I've had to deal with those issues.

So as a new detailer....have you identified your target clientele? I'm not a pro, but have seen/done enough to know there will be a difference between a daily driven soccer mom mini van, and a car guy's muscle car, exotic, etc. The latter will likely be less grimey overall (generally speaking). This will make it easier to do waterless or rinseless.

For engine bays, twice I've used a method similar to what Mike Phillips shows in the video as shown on this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eo-series.html

For wheels, I've used a method similar to what they show on a youtube channel from a certain rag company. I haven't seen all of Autogeek's videos, so I'm not sure they have one that addresses that.

With the wheels I've done, i'll sometimes place some of my worst MF towels around the tire to soak up any soap, dirt, water, etc. If I want to keep the ground clean. If the area where I'm working, such as some crummy complex where there's all kinds of oil stains, dirt, etc, then I won't bother with the towels.

I'll do similar to a rinseless wash on the tires and wheels. The water gets nasty really fast, if you're not using a 2 bucket method. For the wheels I've done, it didn't matter. The owners just wanted a clean car. (Get to know your clients).

Of course, doing that isn't as efficient or cost effective. I'd much rather take a hose to them after spraying them with like Poorboy's World Spray and Rinse or Sonax.

Someone mentioned sprayers, spray bottles, and I've used that too. Sprayers, like garden sprayers, can go through water quite quickly, depending on how dirty the wheels/tires are.

For washing a complete car, I've gone ahead and bought a 26 gallon tank, a 12V water pump, and a smaller diameter hose. I'll drive down to a car wash supply store, and buy DI water for about 7 cents a gallon. The last car I did this way, an EVO 9, I used about 20 gallons to do a QUICK pre-rinse. I then did chemical decon, and followed up with a regular wash, and finally rinsed and dried. This car was due for a 2 step correction, so I only planned on doing ONE car with the water available to me in the tank.

If you plan on doing more than one wash a day with that small a tank, you might want to keep doing rinseless or waterless.

Another thing I've done with a couple of cars was to drive it down to the nearest coin-op. Do my wash and chemical decon there, and take it back to where I'm working on the car to finish it off (assuming paint correction here)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

For wheels, I've used a method similar to what they show on a youtube channel from a certain rag company. I haven't seen all of Autogeek's videos, so I'm not sure they have one that addresses that.
    What rag company/video?

Post Thanks / Like

California guy here. I've had to deal with those issues.

So as a new detailer....have you identified your target clientele? I'm not a pro, but have seen/done enough to know there will be a difference between a daily driven soccer mom mini van, and a car guy's muscle car, exotic, etc. The latter will likely be less grimey overall (generally speaking). This will make it easier to do waterless or rinseless.

For engine bays, twice I've used a method similar to what Mike Phillips shows in the video as shown on this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eo-series.html

With the wheels I've done, i'll sometimes place some of my worst MF towels around the tire to soak up any soap, dirt, water, etc. If I want to keep the ground clean. If the area where I'm working, such as some crummy complex where there's all kinds of oil stains, dirt, etc, then I won't bother with the towels.

I'll do similar to a rinseless wash on the tires and wheels. The water gets nasty really fast, if you're not using a 2 bucket method. For the wheels I've done, it didn't matter. The owners just wanted a clean car. (Get to know your clients).

Of course, doing that isn't as efficient or cost effective. I'd much rather take a hose to them after spraying them with like Poorboy's World Spray and Rinse or Sonax.

Someone mentioned sprayers, spray bottles, and I've used that too. Sprayers, like garden sprayers, can go through water quite quickly, depending on how dirty the wheels/tires are.

For washing a complete car, I've gone ahead and bought a 26 gallon tank, a 12V water pump, and a smaller diameter hose. I'll drive down to a car wash supply store, and buy DI water for about 7 cents a gallon. The last car I did this way, an EVO 9, I used about 20 gallons to do a QUICK pre-rinse. I then did chemical decon, and followed up with a regular wash, and finally rinsed and dried. This car was due for a 2 step correction, so I only planned on doing ONE car with the water available to me in the tank.

If you plan on doing more than one wash a day with that small a tank, you might want to keep doing rinseless or waterless.

Another thing I've done with a couple of cars was to drive it down to the nearest coin-op. Do my wash and chemical decon there, and take it back to where I'm working on the car to finish it off (assuming paint correction here)
    Thanks for the great info.

I'll probably just have to resort to doing something similar to that video for engine detailing.

As for wheels I'm curious to what video you are referring to. I'm thinking of just starting on the wheels first, placing cheap rags around the wheel like you said, spraying down with meguairs wheel brightener, then using a bug sprayer filled with water to rinse. I can't imagine there being enough leftover water to make it to the storm drains.

I initially planned on hooking up to the customer's water, now I think I'll just use my own water in jugs and sprayers, but still use the customers power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperbShineDetail View Post
    Thanks for the great info.

I'll probably just have to resort to doing something similar to that video for engine detailing.

As for wheels I'm curious to what video you are referring to. I'm thinking of just starting on the wheels first, placing cheap rags around the wheel like you said, spraying down with meguairs wheel brightener, then using a bug sprayer filled with water to rinse. I can't imagine there being enough leftover water to make it to the storm drains.

I initially planned on hooking up to the customer's water, now I think I'll just use my own water in jugs and sprayers, but still use the customers power.
    You're welcome.

Keep in mind that Wheel Brightener is acid based (I think it is!). Not good for bare aluminum wheels, and maybe others. (read the labels carefully).

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that Wheel Brightener is acid based (I think it is!). Not good for bare aluminum wheels, and maybe others. (read the labels carefully).
    Yeah you're right, but even if you do happen to use it on some aluminum wheels, you can polish it back to a lustrous shine with a good aluminum polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I got half way done with one before I was out of time. Good thing it was for my own car. And good thing I was planning on polishing them anyway.

I knew it would have that effect going in, just wanted to confirm

Post Thanks / Like

I'll do something similar for wheels like above. Do the wheels last if you are rinseless washing.

I rinseless wash just about anything. I haven't done a muddy one yet, but many that haven't seen a wash in year.

I did these wheels the other day in the customers garage after doing the whole car first. Slung an old terry towel around the bottom, then sprayed them heavily with D114. Agitated with a couple of brushes, then rinsed with my wheel wash mitt dunked in my leftover rinseless bucket. Tires were cleaned at the same time, the same way.

They came out pretty good doing them this way. Not perfect, but very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast