autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the best ceramic/nano glass coating for a first timer?

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne View Post
    You happen to know whats the difference between the PBL DPC v2 and the one which comes in a 8oz spray and can be used on all surfaces?

Well atleast the PBL has a lot of user reviews on here as well as Amazon and claims 3 years on the durability.
    V2 lasts longer, especially formulated for paint. Surface is also very good, but beading properties diminishes as time goes by, though the coating is still there. Lot of people complain about durability of Surface. All PBL coating line is extremely easy to apply, like a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the PBL surface coating to try as my first. Thankfully it was on sale

I have only used sealant once and didn't know it's best to clay\polish before OR to keep it from getting wet and getting etched spots before it cures (morning dew). Lesson learned.

Now I decided to clean out my dads garage 'for him', lol, so I can polish and apply coating properly. I just got my supplies yesterday so it might happen soonish now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post
    V2 lasts longer, especially formulated for paint. Surface is also very good, but beading properties diminishes as time goes by, though the coating is still there. Lot of people complain about durability of Surface. All PBL coating line is extremely easy to apply, like a sealant.
    The one complaint I've seen against PBL despite its ease of use is that it flashes pretty fast (like in 1 min) and if you are not careful and fast you will screw up the coating. I've seen that common theme on many reviews from especially first time users.

I'd like to work with something that is more forgiving and gives you ample time to go back and wipe off and buff before moving on to the next panel. That PA product seems to fit that bill.

I certainly don't want to use something that requires the precision of a heart surgeon and I tend to err sometimes which I need ample time to fix before it becomes a permanent feature on my car.

I am sure people who have used PBL here before can chime in on its lightning fast flash time.

Any one else who used PBL

Post Thanks / Like

So what has the Master Sealant's durability got to do with the durability of their gloss coat?

Polish Angel claims its durable and made for the scandinavian weather and tested by elves and the vikings before it got to us. Sounds legit to me.
    If they are overly optimistic with the durability claims for the sealant, their coating's durability might be a optimistic as well.

The sealant claims 12 months of protection, but the detailers in the UK and Ireland were only seeing around six months. That climate is much milder than what is found in Scandinavia.

I simply asked the question to see if anyone here had been using the coatings long enough to validate the vendor's claim. The sealant mention was a point of reference to other products by the same vendor.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If they are overly optimistic with the durability claims for the sealant, their coating's durability might be a optimistic as well.

The sealant claims 12 months of protection, but the detailers in the UK and Ireland were only seeing around six months. That climate is much milder than what is found in Scandinavia.

I simply asked the question to see if anyone here had been using the coatings long enough to validate the vendor's claim.
    Most of the durability claims these companies make are 'upto 24 months' or 'upto 36 months'. No one claims 'minimum of 24 months' or 'minimum of 36 months'. I guess the unto part could mean 'from a week to 24 months' or however you want to interpret that.

So any of these coatings been tried and tested for the durability claims the mfrs make? Or is it just a leap of faith act?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a review I did on pbl v 1 on the sister site

1 year solid protection on a vehicle that sits out 24/7/365 in SwFL

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    It's been about a year since I coated it. Sits outside 24/7 in HOT FL sun. Has sat at airport (top level garage so open) about 10 times for a week at a time. 25k + miles since coated. Rarely washed. Been through touchless a few times and probably been 2bm washed 4 times (if that).. FL is home to tons of bugs and sand, so it's been a tough year for it.

Foamed w ironx snow foam, washed w strong dilution of reset.

Hood/top looked a touch weak, but still going reasonably strong.

Sides, still going STRONG

So all in all, it's been a neglected year in TERRIBLE environment and it's still protected.

So when done w wash, hit it w hydro and dried

And my "Merlin Shot"

Does it's job well. Easy to use. Good value

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I simply asked the question to see if anyone here had been using the coatings long enough to validate the vendor's claim.
    My issue with any durability claims or observations on any product is it's totally subjective based upon the individual and their vehicle and how it's cared for.

If one was to put an LSP on their vehicle regardless of products manufacturer is it garage kept, non garage kept, what color is it, is it washed weekly, is a maintainer used after washes etc etc etc.

So my point to durability estimates is that it's totally dependent on how the vehicle is cared for by each individual owner. My own assessment of durability would be to apply the lsp, non garage kept in the Florida summer season which is about 6 months long, maybe wash it a few times in that time period and apply no detailing sprays or liquid sealants and then see how it's held up.

Why you may ask?

Because that's real world car care for the average person who owns a car. They probably don't wax it once a year, occasionally run it though car washes etc.

We Geekers are the one per-centers.

I can share this with the forum, I put VC on my Rogue back in the end of December 2015 and I betcha I haven't washed it maybe three-four times since then and definitely not in the last two months. This time of the year it rains pretty much tropical downpour every day(it's raining right now) and the sun it relentless.

To me that's a real world test of Viking Coat.

I put Master Sealant on my wife's Sonata hood back at the same time and let it go about the same route. It stacks up against any of the sealants we talk about here on a regular basis.

What I will say is out of the other sealants I've done this with Powerlock in my tests performed the worst in my environment. I know there are a lot of PL fans, I just happen to not be one them based upon my personal evaluation.

WG 3.0 and BF WD did very well. None of them really lasted more than six months. Powerlock faded out in 2 months.

But on the other hand, take my garage queen. It has Invincible and Cosmic Coat on it and is driven only on sunny days and sparingly at that. Being it's garage kept what's the longevity of the coating?

Potentially forever?

It's not exposed to the elements for any period of time. It's only been rained on a couple times in 4 years and not in the past couple years.

So that being said, imho longevity claims are pretty much totally subjective and dependent on way too many factors. Just my personal observation.

That being said I have been very happy with the Viking Coat. I probably wouldn't wait a year or two to reapply any LSP anyway so the investment was worth it for me.

But I'm a product addict any way
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

The one complaint I've seen against PBL despite its ease of use is that it flashes pretty fast (like in 1 min) and if you are not careful and fast you will screw up the coating. I've seen that common theme on many reviews from especially first time users.

I'd like to work with something that is more forgiving and gives you ample time to go back and wipe off and buff before moving on to the next panel. That PA product seems to fit that bill.

I certainly don't want to use something that requires the precision of a heart surgeon and I tend to err sometimes which I need ample time to fix before it becomes a permanent feature on my car.

I am sure people who have used PBL here before can chime in on its lightning fast flash time.

Any one else who used PBL
    PBL V2 is actually forgiving. My advice would be to adjust the number of sprays per the size of the panel. I work on smaller areas when using it. It does flash quick but nothing that causes a big headache. It's very user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Took the plunge, based on reviews here, and ordered the Polish Angel coating and primer. Given its coming from Fl I hope to have it hear next weekend to give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaFawnduh View Post
    Took the plunge, based on reviews here, and ordered the Polish Angel coating and primer. Given its coming from Fl I hope to have it hear next weekend to give it a whirl.
    Which coating?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast