autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Paint Coating - What did I do wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
    Well, if that's the case, then I guess I'm annoyed, since the guy on the little YouTube video, who is coating the blue Ford Fusion, on their website for Blackfire keeps talking about how simple it is to apply.
    I think that was Mike@DedicatedPerfection who is a highly experienced detailer. He may have meant it's simple...for a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    I've tried this coating before with very little problems but from all the threads I've read the problem seems to be when you use it for the second time after it sits on the shelf for awhile.
    That's the problem I had with C4--the first time I used it, it was very thin. Then it sat for a while and got much thicker and was much more difficult to use and then I had that problem where it "silvers" after a while, which is apparently from getting it on too thick and is akin to a "high spot" but it's a bit different on textured trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think Nick has stated before that the Blackfire is the most durable of the PBMG coatings, but it's not the easiest to apply.
    Nick also said that Blackfire Crystal Coat has a very short shelf life once the factory seal is broken. For me, the shelf life was less than one month

Too bad that the product description still does not point out the difficulty of use or the short shelf life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Here's a word from the peanut gallery:

I've tried this coating before with very little problems but from all the threads I've read the problem seems to be when you use it for the second time after it sits on the shelf for awhile. I think what may help is to wipe on and buff out after about 40 seconds or so. That's my plan for the next application. But I wonder if there's something that can be added to kinda sorta thin it down slightly to give it a longer working time. That way it wouldn't flash so soon and streak so strong. Or maybe a very fine mist of water would help. Hopefully Nick and the AG guys could chime in on a solution like that.
    Unfortunately, my first application was challenging with a new bottle. The product was extremely sticky and seemed to cure faster than I could put down the applicator and pick up the MF towel to level everything out. In fact, it cured so fast you could still see the application pattern. It never "self leveled" at all. On my second attempt about 4~5 months later, it started to cure while I was spreading it. My applicator was sticking to the car.

My experience was so different from the video Mike posted, I checked the bottle a couple times to make sure I had the same product.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    Nick also said that Blackfire Crystal Coat has a very short shelf life once the factory seal is broken. For me, the shelf life was less than one month

Too bad that the product description still does not point out the difficulty of use or the short shelf life.
    It would be great if autogeek could repackage it in 30ml glass dropper bottles. If they could work something out with packaging they could sell it for much cheaper and quite possible sell much more of it. If they could get the price to15 - 20 bucks for a 30 ml that would be a steal. Nick did say he would put it up against cquartz.

From what I gather it is a good coating just a tricky application. Imagine a coating that would hold its own against cquartz for $15 to $20 instead of $60.

I would love to try it but I don't need 4 oz. It would be a waste of product.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Because it's so thin, it really needs a different package/delivery method.

I like you're idea of smaller bottles since it goes bad so fast. A one-use syringe like Optima or Wolfgang use would be a great start.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Because it's so thin, it really needs a different package/delivery method.

I like you're idea of smaller bottles since it goes bad so fast. A one-use syringe like Optima or Wolfgang use would be a great start.
    Yeah maybe a one use syringe would do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post

Well, mine arrived from Autogeek with the Blackfire coating bottle already leaking in the shipping box. I didn't worry about it too much, because it wasn't a ton that leaked out, but maybe I should have been more upset about it - if the seal being broken may have compromised an already-short shelf life. Hmm....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123