autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy first DA!

Thanks y'all! ( yes I'm from Texas and we say y'all)! The price gap can vary by a lot and I didn't want to end up buying something that I would have to replace in a few months because it either stopped working or wasn't able to handle basic detailing. Lifetime warranty to boot..Looking to buy first DA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy first DA!

GC6 seems to be the best bang for the buck DA polisher, the only downside for me is the vibration. I seriously doubt that I could handle that vibration for more than 1 hour of work. After trying different pads, I found that the ThinPro are the best to make the polisher a little smoother but still not comfortable for me, that's why I'm planning to get in the future a Rupes and use the GC only for headlights/windshields restorations.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Porter Cable 7424xp.

They have a reputation of extreme reliability and proven performance.

The reason I prefer it over competing basic d/a machines is the size of the shroud that houses the spindle. It's smaller in diameter which allows me to better see what I'm doing when using small pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what i would do after the benefit of hindsight.

I KNOW if the Rupes or Flex units were out when i first started this OCD behavior on my own cars i would have jumped on one of those 2 machines out of the gate. I have always wanted the best tool for the job and best as in build quality and performance. However...

I would probably now get the Griots 6" DA and refine my technique working my own cars. To me the lifetime warranty speaks volumes for peace of mind. I would refine my skills, techniques, products etc and THEN take on a customer or 2 or 3 and make enough to then buy a Rupes Mark II or Flex. I would then delegate my trusty and soon to be dusty GG 6" to small pad diameter work for noses, tail sections, thin areas etc. The benefit of having 2 machines is good to have for a number of reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Looking to buy first DA!

Just ordered my Flex 3401. Should be here saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptN D View Post
    Thanks y'all! ( yes I'm from Texas and we say y'all)! The price gap can vary by a lot and I didn't want to end up buying something that I would have to replace in a few months because it either stopped working or wasn't able to handle basic detailing. Lifetime warranty to boot..Looking to buy first DA!

If you haven't already bought a machine maybe you live close to someone who has a few different machines that you could try out before you buy. A lot of us Texans on here. I'm from Arlington.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the GG6....got one for Christmas...my first DA.....no regrets

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy first DA!

The one thing nobody is bringing up is you will likely need 2 polishers if you buy a Rupes or a Flex.

The reason is, to polish every surface on most cars, it's takes the use of 3"-4" pads on certain areas. Rupes and Flex DA/RO machines don't have the flexibility to use pads from 3" to 6.5".

So, if you want a single machine that can do almost anything - get a Griot's Garage 6" polisher. I'd also get a 5" and 3" Lake Country backing plate and an assortment of 3" and 5.5" pads.

That is the least expensive way to achieve excellent results without shelling out a grand. The GG6 just out muscles the PC in every way. But, the PC is still capable in the right hands.

Noobs sometimes cook pads with a GG6 because of the power - that is the only real caveat compared to the PC.

****please support trans-species humans.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had noticed that about the Flex and Rupes, buying to machines isn't in the budget. I'd narrowed it down to the GC6 or PC because they can use the smaller backing plate. I really appreciate all the input folksLooking to buy first DA!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.