autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newly CanCoated car - door scratched - what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    So it's a typical customer car and care
    Pretty much :lol:

I did our HR lady's little Honda HR-V with some Gyeon One (topped with CanCoat) last January and was standing out in the rain this summer watching the water roll off of it quite nicely. She seems to take pretty good care of her car so I asked her if it was washed regularly and what did she use to wash it. She says yes, it gets washed weekly...using Dawn or Joy dishwashing soap. Certainly not recommended but I have to say, the water behavior was still quite nice about 6-7 months after application. FWIW, she says she prefers Joy over Dawn for some reason I didn't catch.

My guess is the combination of harsher soaps and residual scum left on it are impacting the hydrophobic properties. I had a customer I used can-coat on come to be about 3 months later stating that he felt the coating was gone after similar care. He's a neighbor so I washed it up quick with some Reset Wash and viola, it come back to full hydrophobic property level and he was pleased.
    Quite possible but at the same time, coatings that excel in self-cleaning perform very well/better in these situations despite the admitted low maintenance. Some products just seem to stay cleaner with little to low maintenance.

A surprising nice combo is turning out to be Gtechnic CSL topped with Gyeon CanCoat. The brilliance and gloss of the CSL is still apparent and the CanCoat pops it up a bit and really keeps it clean. CSL with C2V3 was an absolute nightmare as far as self cleaning went.

Some products seem to stand out in situations that involve very low maintenance.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few people here talking about consumer v professional. One of the bros in Melbourne did a top vid on Carpro ceramics. It might adjust your expectation in the opposite way.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    ...she says she prefers Joy over Dawn for some reason I didn’t catch
    Excuse my French but f**k me.

What surprises me is the lass probably throws on a dash of makeup every morning and moisturises every night but never thinks to apply the same care to her paint or leather.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Excuse my French but f**k me.

What surprises me is the lass probably throws on a dash of makeup every morning and moisturises every night but never thinks to apply the same care to her paint or leather.
    More than a dash, my friend...more than a dash.

Well, at least she washes her car, that's something and it has proven that Gyeon One + CanCoat is impervious to dishwashing soap...so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    More than a dash, my friend...more than a dash.

Well, at least she washes her car, that's something and it has proven that Gyeon One + CanCoat is impervious to dishwashing soap...so far.
    Top test to stand up to.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Unfortunately this is not the case. Budget correct me if I am wrong but didn’t you speak to a Gyeon rep and they mentioned that CanCoat has 30% SiO2.

Budget put it perfectly on CanCoat.

You must be thinking of Cure which would fall in the same category as Reload.
    You are right, I was thinking of Cure. Don't use any of the Gyeon products, mixed them up in my mind.

Cancoat is their budget coating, that for me has no place being sold. You can use McKee's coating that offers 4 times the protection at a lower price point. Don't see a reason to use Cancoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    You are right, I was thinking of Cure. Don't use any of the Gyeon products, mixed them up in my mind.

Cancoat is their budget coating, that for me has no place being sold. You can use McKee's coating that offers 4 times the protection at a lower price point. Don't see a reason to use Cancoat.
    Oh no!!! I love me some CanCoat! Such a quick and easy way to drop 6 months of self cleaning, candy-gloss goodness...easy as a QD to use. Biggest surprise was how much it enhanced CSL, filling in CSL's shortcomings (in my eyes, anyway).

11. Likes The Guz, Rmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    yes/no. McKee's last longer but CanCoat is 100x better in terms of its hydrophobic and self cleaning properties. I offer CanCoat as an upgrade to a standard sealant. Up from there for longevity sake is McKee's and upwards from there to CarPro and GYEON products.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes The Guz, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    A few people here talking about consumer v professional. One of the bros in Melbourne did a top vid on Carpro ceramics. It might adjust your expectation in the opposite way.

YouTube
    Thanks for the video - there's very little in it isn't there.

If I can save paying $1400 from getting the job done professionally I am happy.

I will however adjust my expectations somewhat that I may not / will not get the same longevity out of the enthusiast coating

Thanks for all the information guys.

Post Thanks / Like

yes/no. McKee's last longer but CanCoat is 100x better in terms of its hydrophobic and self cleaning properties. I offer CanCoat as an upgrade to a standard sealant. Up from there for longevity sake is McKee's and upwards from there to CarPro and GYEON products.
    Having used both the McKee's and the CanCoat on several of my personal vehicles I agree. I found McKee's to look and behave no different than most good sealants...only it lasts 4x longer. I agree to the comments above. CanCoat looks far better and the hydrophobic properties are far suprior to M37. I'm looking at going back to coatings when my CanCoat runs out. When it does, I'll skip the McKee's and go straight to CarPro or similar.

Another point regarding the pricing of CanCoat. For the price of a can of CanCoat, I think it will go much farther than a bottle of McKee's. With McKee's, I was able to coat two small cars and a mid-sized SUV with enough left over to possibly coat one more small car. With CanCoat, I've coated the same mid-size SUV and one of the same two small car twice with plenty left over to do the same many times over.

Something else to consider: After opening the bottle of McKee's coating it will start to degrade. I noticed when using the McKee's six months after my first use, it didn't spread as easily and flashed faster. Nine months later the McKee's was harder yet to apply. At the one year point, the coating was very difficult to apply and I tossed the bottle. I've also noticed that application at the one year point has not heald up very well either. CanCoat on the other hand at the six month point was just as easy to apply as it was the first day I opened it. I don't forsee having to waste any product because it's no longer usable and will still get more than enough applications from the can to make it a reasonable option.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

16. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast