This weekend I finally got around to applying CanCoat to one of my vehicles. While I am quite happy with how the car looks now, getting to the end result was a long and painful process. Before I write off the product and move on to something else, I want to make sure I didn't get a bad car, or I made a major mistake in the application.

A few details to start:
- Car was clayed, polished and given a generous wipedown with Gyeon Prep
- Application was in my garage with the door closed
- Temps were in the upper 70's/low 80's and humidity was probably around 30~40%
- I used both a low knap MF towel and a MF applicator pad (more on that below)

Problems encountered:
- Can was only about .5 full. Is that normal?
- Product flashed almost immediatly on application to the paint
- Even when applied very heavy, removal was diffucult due to the extreamly rapid flashing of the product
- Overspray was EVERYWHERE

I started by using a low knap MF towel and spraying it on the towel as shown in all the video's for this product. However, it soon became apparent the CanCoat is so spread out on the towel, it flashes instantly as your spreading it with no opportunity to make a second pass to even things out. I found with a soft, MF applicator pad it was easier to apply the product more heavily and I also had better control of the where the product was being applied. Even at this point, if I attempted an area larger than 6" square the CanCoat flashed so fast it became almost impossible to buff in the time it took me to set down my applicator and grab my buffing towel hanging over my shoulder. Any high spots were un-removable as soon as you found them. Even when applying to a 6" square application area, the product was clingy and hard to remove/buff out. Often it would spread beyond the area applied and due to being thinned out by the removal process it would flash and harden almost instantly.

Despite being in a sheltered area, there was overspray everywhere! I found I had to take a step or two back from the car to spray product onto the applicator, as turning away from the car and spraying in the opposite direction still left an atomized cloud which would drift over to the vehicle. My windshield is covered in overspray this moring which I'll have to polish out...despite standing away from the front bumper when spraying the applicator while I worked on the hood.

The one application method which I found worked really well was when spot fixing areas I had to polish out. I'd dab the CanCoat on my MF towel like you do with traditional bottled coatings. This heavy ammount of product on the applicator spread easy and didn't flash very quickly. The down side to this process would be a single can would only last one, maybe two small vehicles based on what I recieved. There is no way I'd get through 5~6 cars since there was so little in the can to start with.

I've applied the original BlackFire Paint Coating, McKee's 37 paint coating multiple times and have applied CQuartz and CQuartz UK, so this wasn't my first coating. The McKee's and CQuartz's were very easy and very fast. With the CanCoat I spent hours chasing streaks, overspray, and unremovable high-spots which had to be polished out and product re-applied due to the working time of the product being almost non-existant.

After all the rave reviews of CanCoat, how did my application go so wrong? Is there some glaring flaw in my approach? I was hoping this product would make coating my cars fast and easy every six months, but at this point I found traditional coatings easier.

On a high note, after 20-ish hours of cure time it looked AMAZING when I brough it out into the sun for a drive. I'm curious to see the water behavior now.

Any feedback is appreciated.