Good Day All!

How about a bit of a chat on Trim Coatings?

Coating your Trim isn't as immediately gratifying as the paint I suppose, as we don't get a pop in gloss. But it will certainly enrich the color and bead water like crazy. The reason we coat the Trim is the same reason we coat any surface, to withstand the slow degradation of exposure to UV and environmental contaminant. Keep it from fading. And even bring back a fading piece of Trim to its former glory.

GYEON quartz Q² Trim is an SiO2 based coating designed specifically for plastics and trim that will perform for at least 24 months. It is ph tolerant from 2-11, so it will hold up against most every cleaning chemical that would be used on the car.

The most important step in the application of any Trim coating is making sure that any previously applied dressing or coating is completely removed prior to applying Q² Trim. If the vehicle is brand new and you are confident that the dealership has not applied any overly greasy dressing, then a good wipe down with Q²M Prep will suffice. If something is in place than a strong APC and a good scrub with a stiff bristle brush should do the trick, depending on what is applied.

Use a highly absorbent microfiber towel like GYEON Q²M SoftWipe to make sure that you are absorbing the existing material and removing it from the surface and not pushing it around, or transferring the material.

Once the trim is clean, you can apply Q² Trim. Use the Suede Applicator and Foam Block included in the kit. I like to go on heavy with Q² Trim to ensure good absorption in to the plastic. I'd rather wipe up excess material than have an uneven finish because I didn't apply enough.

Then wipe up the excess with a highly absorbent microfiber towel like GYEON Q²M SoftWipe.

The trim will be well protected, have a very healthy look when dry (not greasy or shiny or oily) and bead water nicely!

The biggest piece of advice I can give on Q² Trim is to make sure the surface is WELL prepared. The only time I have seen a negative experience is when there was an existing coating or dressing in place that was not adequately removed and Q² Trim was not able to bond directly to the plastic.

Also, I typically do not use Q² Trim on interior plastics. There are many variables on how the product is absorbed on interior plastic. Most manufacturers have UV coated the plastic to begin with and with the many different density of plastics used it can be difficult to get an even coverage at times. For interior plastics I like a dressing like Q²M Preserve. I do use it for engine bay plastics and also as a final coating over polished/restored headlights.

How is trim coating going for everyone here? Pro's and Con's?