autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21

Ok, I believe I've had enough time with the polisher now to provide a fair enough opinion about it so far.. I've been holding back until now, which hasn't been easy, but after being able to test it out 4 different times, I finally had that moment where it all seemed to come together.💡

Starting from the unboxing.. I took it out of the box, removed the backing plate so I could install the washer and this was the 1st thing that caught my eye. [notice the top left corner of the counterweight, small chips. Looks like someone at the factory had a good time dropping it a few times. Definitely doesn't look new.] Grr..

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    @ eldorado. Rupes is a good bit smoother. My Boss sounds like it could fly apart at any minute. Rupes just feels like a better built machine. But the Boss has a good warranty, so everything probably comes out in the wash.

I wonder if the counterweight has anything to do with me totally agreeing with this statement.👆🏽I immediately remembered this comment and thought "wow he was spot on"
    The lack of smoothness on this machine compared to the Rupes MK2 is considerable, to say the least... Sure I can use it with 1 hand, but I can use my HF DA with 1 hand as well, so that's nothing special.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457613809-514389-jpg

1st thing I did was try it on my own hood using the sample of Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish that came with my order. Directions say to use a nickel sized amount to start off, so that's what I did.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457614485-237850-jpg

Worked it longer than I usually would due to it being DAT.. Overall it wasn't the best experience due to me being so used to M205/SMAT. Things just felt too dry. There are some areas on my hood with very fine swirls, they weren't removed at all.. But I was short on time and left it at that.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457614803-281479-jpg

A couple days later I decided to clay my trunklid and use M7 with the Boss yellow pad to get better aquatinted with the polisher. I did several applications, the whole time trying to get used to the variable trigger throttle and lock. I really didn't like how this worked at 1st, but I've kinda gotten used to it now.
    Once again, there's only so much you can get out of the experience without correcting defects.. No fun yet. Lol.

Next day I tried it out on my friends boat. I had attempted to polish this boat in the past, and it was a huge PITA. This day I simply wanted to do a test spot.

Boss White Foam Pad w/Meguiars M67 One Step Compound.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457616315-111282-jpg

Before:

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457616357-231712-jpg

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457616659-657547-jpg

After: Just 1 long cycle on speed 6 produced this. I was pretty pleased considering how difficult it was to achieve this with my HF DA.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457616716-211678-jpg

But as expected, the foam pad loaded up fairly quickly + the evenings humidity set in and the results couldn't continue much further than my test spot of about 4'x3'
    It was nice to see the Boss packed a good punch.

I can just imagine how much work it will be when the time comes for me to polish the whole 28' boat. I could already feel it after going over that section a few times with the same pad.. The Boss isn't exactly light, combine that with its lack of smoothness and this 28' boat will not be an easy task..

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457617694-425992-jpg

4th try: Finally I got a chance to try out on something normL, something with swirls, finally!

Toyota Tacoma before:

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457617957-314933-jpg

I used Megs Black Wax on Boss Yellow Polishing Pad/speed 4.5
    After:

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457618134-597096-jpg

It's not perfect, nor was that the goal for this daily driver, but it sure is shiny now.😉

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457618291-189187-jpg

It was nice to finally be able to use it on a real vehicle in need of polishing. The 6.5" setup proved impossible on the Tacoma fenders. The long stroke & power also ripped the tape I had laid down right off the plastic fender covers😯lol. I'll be looking into a 5" backing plate..

Sorry for the long post but it was a long time coming. Thx for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the pic of the counterweight that was left out of the post*

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457618808-333267-jpg

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21

Good to see an unbiased, factual, honest, unhyped opinion based on real experience. Can't wait to get another Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Good to see an unbiased, factual, honest, unhyped opinion based on real experience. Can't wait to get another Rupes.
    Hey Zubair, if you're interested I'm going to be doing a head to head review on my G21(I've had it for about 5-6 months now) vs. the LHR15 MKII, mainly based around ergonomics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Ok, I believe I've had enough time with the polisher now to provide a fair enough opinion about it so far.. I've been holding back until now, which hasn't been easy, but after being able to test it out 4 different times, I finally had that moment where it all seemed to come together.💡
    Why did you buy a BOSS if you already have an MKII?
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hey Zubair, if you're interested I'm going to be doing a head to head review on my G21(I've had it for about 5-6 months now) vs. the LHR15 MKII, mainly based around ergonomics.
    Hey there, I'll be more interested in seeing a head to head on stalling on curves if you could include that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Why did you buy a BOSS if you already have an MKII?

I don't own a Rupes MKll. But I was able to test them out at the SoCal Roadshow Class with Mike Phillips.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457627754-223843-jpg

Btw, when I said things finally came together, I meant that in a good way.. Meaning I finally felt completely comfortable with the machine and how to use it. Of course I've still got a ways to go before I master it or anything, but I'm past the beginning stage and that feels good. I'm looking forward to getting more pads, including the Boss Microfiber pads and also the Boss Creams. And a 5" backing plate and maybe some more pads to go with it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don't own a Rupes MKll. But I was able to test them out at the SoCal Roadshow Class with Mike Phillips.

I bit the bullet.. I just bought a G21-imageuploadedbyagonline1457627754-223843-jpg

Btw, when I said things finally came together, I meant that in a good way.. Meaning I finally felt completely comfortable with the machine and how to use it. Of course I've still got a ways to go before I master it or anything, but I'm past the beginning stage and that feels good. I'm looking forward to getting more pads, including the Boss Microfiber pads and also the Boss Creams. And a 5" backing plate and maybe some more pads to go with it too.
    Ahhh, I see.

MKII does have more balls than the BOSS, however.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Hey there, I'll be more interested in seeing a head to head on stalling on curves if you could include that.
    Sure thing.

I'll do with and without washers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Sure thing.

I'll do with and without washers.
    Washer is a must.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast