autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to purchase my 1st polisher

Griot's Garage 6" is the way to go for a non-professional. Even though some professionals do use them, it's all that's needed to maintain your personal vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would go with a long stroke DA as long as the extra cost doesn't hurt. When I got my first polisher I had a hard time deciding between the 3401 and a GG6 since I only had my car to do I went with the GG6 but soon after I really wished I had went with the flex. A couple months ago I dropped my GG6 and broke the plastic cover over the gear case and found that it gets a little warmer than is comfortable on polishing and at that time I found that there was new long throw polisher out that was cheaper than the Rupes and Boss and I got it the Torq 22D. I found that it was no harder to use than the GG6 once I got used to the longer handle and was a little more particular with keeping the pad level to keep it rotating. The best thing is it takes about half the time to do the same amount of correction. I have both the 5" and 6" back plates and for me it seems easier to control with the 6" plate. I also found it easier to control with the longer handle on the vertical surfaces. Everything I said about my 22D would apply to the higher quality Rupes and Boss polishers. As far as weight goes I weighed them and with a 6" back plate my 22D weighed 7 ounces more than my GG6 with a 3.5" back plate.
    One thing about having two now is I can have a dedicated one with a smaller pad for the tighter areas on the car without having to change back plates.

Like you I got mine just to do my car but I got a second car then I have done my brothers two (a lot of work since they are an Escalade and F150 extended cab), my daughters and my ex-wife/roommates car.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

For comfort even if its just your own cars and you have the budget, RUPES. You will wish you bought it initially had you purchased the other cheaper stuff first.

Post Thanks / Like

every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional PC-style DA (i've said this many times) and with that said the GG6 would be an excellent choice and there's not much you couldn't do given all the different pads/liquids that are out today. also, the warranty and customer service they provide is top notch!
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

get this now (with a variety of backing plates & pads)..

then this later...

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=FtpgZV9vL1A[/video]
    [ame]youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A[/video]
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional PC-style DA (i've said this many times) and with that said the GG6 would be an excellent choice and there's not much you couldn't do given all the different pads/liquids that are out today. also, the warranty and customer service they provide is top notch!

Post Thanks / Like

The budget is no issue at all I don't mind spending the money . I wanna learn how to properly use the polisher with out causing and damage to my cars. How much of a learning curve is there on the higher end polishers like the RUPES, FLEX ect ? As a beginner is that the way to go, from reading on AG many people have begun with a lower end polisher such as PC or GG6 as a starting point .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hosaltezza View Post
    The budget is no issue at all I don't mind spending the money . I wanna learn how to properly use the polisher with out causing and damage to my cars. How much of a learning curve is there on the higher end polishers like the RUPES, FLEX ect ? As a beginner is that the way to go, from reading on AG many people have begun with a lower end polisher such as PC or GG6 as a starting point .
    the GG6 is capable of doing what the rupes/flex can do with just a little more time (not much of a learning curve once you've had time behind it and use good technique). you can always buy the GG6 first and get the G21 and/or flex later (keep in mind buying a large throw DA first will not allow you to get into tight/smaller areas, so having a few different polishers is ideal). getting both the GG6 and G21 would be the an awesome combo!
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hosaltezza View Post
    I started with the Harbor Freight DA polisher that was about 50 bucks. Not long after, ordered Boss G15. I'd say if money wasn't an issue go for a nicer one. Not really that hard to use, just watch some youtube videos. Although, I will still be using my HF with smaller backing plate and pads for the smaller areas. Will be nice to have two machines. Next black Friday or epic deal, will pick up a nicer mini polisher.
    -Adrian

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Looking to purchase my 1st polisher

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    the GG6 is capable of doing what the rupes/flex can do with just a little more time (not much of a learning curve once you've had time behind it and use good technique). you can always buy the GG6 first and get the G21 and/or flex later (keep in mind buying a large throw DA first will not allow you to get into tight/smaller areas, so having a few different polishers is ideal). getting both the GG6 and G21 would be the an awesome combo!
    Just what I did--GG6 (with a 5" and 3.5" backing plate) for the first few years then added a G15 a few months ago. Now the GG6 is set with the 3.5"backing plate for those areas I can't reach with the G15. What a fantastic combo--has cut my polishing time in half.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast