autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Hello fellow detailers! So I'm about to order a griots orbital from autogeek. I'm new to machines. My apologies if the questions have been asked or are dumb.

I know these orbitals are safe so to say. Applying wax. Is there any chance that I can burn the paint while putting a coat of wax on. Is there a chance to remove paint from the cars lines or edges with the wax application?

I also think im going to need to buy a 3 inch and 6 inch machine. The 03 cobra hood has so many edges.

I wont mess with the polishing just yet. May pick up some old hoods and practice first.
    2003 SVT COBRA
    Built and prepped by Mustang Magic (home of snakebite)
    Tuned by Joey at Mustang Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie

Great choice of machine, Stangfreak. I will say a definitive no to the chance of burning through paint while applying a wax or sealant by machine. Is it possible to burn paint with a Griots DA machine? Certainly, HOWEVER it is still very difficult in my opinion when used properly. That was always one of the huge benefits mentioned in the times of early DA market introduction. It was a much safer alternative to rotary machines that are and were stronger and hotter than a dual action motion.

When you are applying wax or sealant you will be using the softest pad you have. There should be NO CUT allowed by the pad used for wax. Plus the fact you don't need the fastest machine speed to apply a thin, even layer of wax. I apply waxes and sealants with my Porter Cable DA at speed 3 - 4. Soft pad, wax or sealant product (also no cut) used and slow machine speed = low friction and heat = SAFE!

I would even say that any raised body or character lines on your Stang with old paint that may be thinner in those areas won't be vulnerable BUT I will still say you won't risk burn through with a no cut polishing pad and a wax at say speed 4.

Now, that's not to say the new DA's with cutting pads and aggressive products won't burn...they can. A MF cutting pad with an aggressive compound is the extreme other end of the performance spectrum and may run through those thinned paint areas but I would have absolutely no concern with applying wax.

I will also add that it's a great idea to have both a 6" and 3" machine to handle all of the panels on the vehicle when cutting or buffing for correction. In my experience it makes it much easier to simply pick up a smaller machine set up with smaller equipment to reach into areas that need to be cut or polished however I use a 5" gold LC pad for my waxes and sealants and simply hand apply into smaller tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, thank you for the reply. I have always done waxing by hand. I do enjoy it. I use the chemical guys UFO applicator. One of my favorite. But, I tore my shoulder labrum so I cannot wax by hand for a long time.

I have on order the red pads with no cut and will be using setting 3 and 4 like you said. I kept my paint on this car immaculate for the past 14 years. Don't need to burn it now haha. Thanks again Paul.
    2003 SVT COBRA

Post Thanks / Like

No problem but just wanted to set your mind at ease with my opinion that it's just about completely safe.
    Sorry to hear of the physical limitation but you'll love machine application! What wax do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I am using butter wet wax. But on hand I have poor boys paste, dodo juice diamond white, pinnacle souveran wax. Thats what I can remember off the top of my head. I have more. This hobby becomes a drug lol. And thank you for the kind words. I love applying wax by hand. Its like therapy for me. I love detailing. But now this shoulder, I have to switch up to a machine. Hopefully I will learn how to polish with it.

I was looking at griots site and noticed they have a 5 inch backing plate kit. I may just switch it over to a 5 inch. The cobra is small. Not like the newer mustangs. Very excited paul! and now I just saw on the front page of autogeek, the new makita orbital lol.
    2003 SVT COBRA

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots and PC DA's are very user friendly. Too much pressure, and they stop instantly. Switching the 6" backing plate is a good idea. You'll maximize the capability of the machine by going down to a 5.5" pad, plus you'll find it easier to work around the edges you're worried about.

You'll be amazed at how much faster things go, and how much less product you use. When applying a sealant, I use a black LC pad and maybe 3 dime sized drops per panel on speed 3 with my PC. What used to take all day, takes an hour or two. I've only done a paste wax two an entire vehicle with the PC once, but it was done using a red pad, and speed 3.

Don't be afraid of an all-in-one like McKee's 360, or HD speed. They're very user friendly, and give amazing results.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

pilotpip, funny you mentioned mckee's 360. I was looking at that product. Its all in one, and it even states there is no need to buff afterwards. It doesn't seem to have a heavy polisher either. which is good. For the 360, would you use a black pad?
    2003 SVT COBRA