autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best pads for GG6

What pads seem to be the best for GG6? Do any last longer than others before falling apart?

I was just reading about the boss mf pads failing. It seems like from what I was hearing was people either like mf or thin? I have some regular LC flat but wanted to start building up my supply and was wondering what everyone thought was the best pads for the GG6 were so I can stock up on those.

Also, I have regular LC 5" backing plate... Is it real important to get the vented backing plate or is what I have fine?

Not sure if it matters, but I'm just doing a couple of my own cars, not production.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best pads for GG6

I use these on my personal cars. Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch 6 Pack - Your Choice!. with gg6 amazing pads..I am not a pro just correct my own cars.. Also try Boss pads they are good too..I used chemical guys hex logic pads with gg6 they fell apart very quickly so stopped using them..Thin pads are nice.regarding backing plate i bought the Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate anyways when i switched to thin pads..cant go wrong with lake country pads..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    Also, I have regular LC 5" backing plate... Is it real important to get the vented backing plate or is what I have fine?
    I learned the hard way that the vented backing plate is mandatory with the GG6. I tried using the LC plate and destroyed a handful of pads in one day. The LC pad heats up pretty fast on the GG6.

After I switched to the vented backing plate, no more pad separation.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the thin pads that are creating more heat or do they all build the heat equally?

Post Thanks / Like

All the pads heated up higher on the GG6/LC plate compared to the same pads and backing plate on my PC. Some pads withstood it better than others due to their construction.

After I bought the vented plate the problem went away. The pads heated up a little more than with the PC but not enough to damage them.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I have used the Griot's plate and the Meguiar's plate and the GG plate is the one you should go with. The venting just works! Regarding pads though, I've actually had my BEST results using BOSS MF pads. Never had one fail, cave or detach. I'm not sure why folks are having this issue. I also have the Meguiar's MF pads and I like those as well.

For experiment's sake, I used a Chemical Guys orange hex pad on a customer's hood and it worked EXTREMELY well. That said, don't buy CG pads, get orange pads from Lake Country or some other company with that reputation.

Post Thanks / Like

With regard to pads I swear by the LC Thin Pro's!

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For cutting your not going to beat micfofiber. Especially on a 8mm da.

Microfiber maximizes your cutting ability.

Cut with mictofiber finish with foam.

The Lake Country HDO microfiber cutting pads are very durable and run cool, These are my go to pads for cutting.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Not a pro and have tried a few pads. Some thoughts:

• LC Flat pads are good for me - cutting on hard paint isn't great but finishing is. I like the 5.5" and dislike the smaller ones
    • LC thin pads are good as well and help to keep it spinning - maybe not as good on ridges and tight curves because of less padding
    • Boss pads have been very good for me
    • I have some 4" Rupes pads which work very well with a 3" plate - the blue cuts very well (use with caution)
    • 3" hex logic pads seem to load up with product too quickly and stop cutting so I generally don't use them
    • Most MF pads seem to work well - you need to brush or blow with air often to keep them cutting

To keep it simple with in terms of what color pad to use when, I really like the Griot's Boss pads. But pretty much any of the ones recommend above will work for you.

I haven't had issues with any pads failing. I check them for heat fairly often, clean them as I go on a towel, and switch pads when they get dirty. The LC 5" plate works - just watch the heat. Like others I prefer the Griot's plate.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Vented plate with LC ThinPros or BOSS pads.

ScottH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast