autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G21 rotation

Post Thanks / Like

G21 rotation

Hello all,

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

I received my BOSS 21 today and noticed that the backing plate does not spin freely, it will spin for a second and stop. Is this normal? I lubed the shroud, loosened the backing plate screw, did the washer mod with both washers, and changed the backing plate to the 5inch, and nothing worked. I did not have a pad on it, it was just the backing plate. This doesnt seem normal, but wanted to ask everyone and see if you have had similar experiences.

Thank you for all of your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G21 rotation

I bought a G15 because it was a great deal. The washers that come with it are extremely thin. I went to the hardware store and got a thicker washer, (same one I put on my Rupes MKII) and modified it. No rubbing!

3. Thanks kamir thanked for this post
    Likes kamir liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I will pass by a hardware store and pick up a couple thicker washers.

When I checked the backing plate after the washer mod, it did not look like it was rubbing the shroud, but still won't spin freely.

Post Thanks / Like

Like what Chris said, the 2 washers they sent isn't enough to space out the BP from the shroud. I complained to Griot's about it and they sent out extra washers for me. You need at least 3 to make it freely spin.

Or you can make your own new washer like how Chris did it.

Have you read my Griot's BOSS review?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha! Since I did not see the shroud and backing plate rubbing at the edge, I thought there was something else going on.

I will buy some thicker washers and try it out. Thank you !

Post Thanks / Like

G21 rotation

You don't need extra washers... Actually adding more washers than needed could have a negative side effect which results in the center piece of the backing plate warping due to not being fully engaged during use.

This is what started happening to mine with only 2 washers installed.

Back to the washers... 2 washers gives plenty of clearance from the shroud. As long as you're sure it's not touching the shroud then it's not an issue, and adding more or thicker washers is not going to help the situation in any way.

Use a flashlight to get a clear view of the clearance. 2 washers = more than enough clearance.

As far as how many rotations you get on a free spin with the polisher? Mine was the same exact way when I got it new. It would only freely spin 1.5 maybe 2 times even with 2 washers installed. I haven't even bothered to check since.. It's a non factor.

Post Thanks / Like

G21 rotation

Trim the shroud a bit. You want every bit of rotation you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You don't need extra washers... Actually adding more washers than needed could have a negative side effect which results in the center piece of the backing plate warping due to not being fully engaged during use.

This is what started happening to mine with only 2 washers installed.

Back to the washers... 2 washers gives plenty of clearance from the shroud. As long as you're sure it's not touching the shroud then it's not an issue, and adding more or thicker washers is not going to help the situation in any way.

Use a flashlight to get a clear view of the clearance. 2 washers = more than enough clearance.

As far as how many rotations you get on a free spins with the polisher? Mine was the same exact way when I got it new. It would only freely spin 1.5 maybe 2 times even with 2 washers installed. I haven't even bothered to check since.. It's a non factor.
    Thank you for your response!

Mine looks exactly like yours does with the washer mod done. I actually did the same thing, used a flashlight to check the space, and it looked like there was plenty of space. I had the G15 and it spun freely, so I wasnt sure if it would affect its performace and reduce its correcting abilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Thank you for your response!

Mine looks exactly like yours does with the washer mod done. I actually did the same thing, used a flashlight to check the space, and it looked like there was plenty of space. I had the G15 and it spun freely, so I wasnt sure if it would affect its performace and reduce its correcting abilities.

I was overthinking the exact same thing when I 1st got my polisher. I know how you feel right now and it's exciting to have your new polisher. It will work just fine. I actually use mine without the washers installed 99% of the time and it works great. I find it to run much smoother this way compared to with the washer[s] installed and still has plenty of power to knock through just about anything you'll encounter. [and if you run into a situation, the bag with the washers is always nearby]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Perhaps I should actually test out the machine on a panel before I start worrying about the free spinning. Lol

I will buy some extra washers just incase and start experimenting to see what gives me the best results, I might prefer being washer free like yourself. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast