autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What Did I Do Wrong - Griot's Pad

Hi Everyone,

So I unboxed my new Griot's polisher and after watching countless tutorials, dove in. I blew out the pad just doing the hood, so clearly my technique is lacking.

• I washed and clayed the car then allowed to dry overnight.
    • Marked the backer plate with a sharpie so I could tell it was rotating (which it did for the most part)
    • Primed the pad
    • Loaded the pad
    • Started on setting 1 to spread the polish (Griot's One Step)
    • Polished on speed 4-5 ish never higher
    • Light pressure up and down hood
    • Light pressure side to side on hood x 4 passes total
    • Split hood into three sections working on one at a time.
    • So I did approximately 12 total passes and loaded the pad once for each section using 5 dots of polish for each section.

I will say the small swirl marks came out nicely but can't ruin a pad on every panel.....or ill be broke - LOL.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
    Mark - Michigan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Did I Do Wrong - Griot's Pad-20170617_083807-1-_1-jpg   What Did I Do Wrong - Griot's Pad-20170617_083817_1-jpg   What Did I Do Wrong - Griot's Pad-20170617_084133_1-jpg   What Did I Do Wrong - Griot's Pad-20170617_084227_1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Did I Do Wrong - Griot's Pad

Hey man, and Welcome!

Looks like a lot of the product sat in the middle of the pad. Also your sections are a little to big. I would do smaller sections next time for sure. Its also easier to track progress of your correcting this way!

A little tip, When i reapply polish, I put it either further to the outside of the pad, or put it where I see needs more product.

Its possible heat was a factor is the pads break down. Did you notice the polish drying up, or you work time for those sections was long?

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like you overheated the center of the pad. Too much product, wrong place on the pad as Legacy noted, working too big/too long, etc.

Or maybe you just got a bad pad. I'd bet on the overheating though.

Post Thanks / Like

That appears to be foam breakdown due to excessive heat build up. A number of factors could contribute to that. To much downward pressure, not moving the polisher at a consistent pace. I've never had a pad do that but I have had the center begin to and it was hot so I changed out the pad.

I have a GG6, G21, Rupes Duetto, LHR15.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

What does the backing plate look like? Is the velcro melted a little in the center too? Definitely looks like heat to me.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

how many pads do you have to do the car, you'll need more than one!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That looks like you overheated the center of the pad. Too much product, wrong place on the pad as Legacy noted, working too big/too long, etc.

Or maybe you just got a bad pad. I'd bet on the overheating though.
    Overheating for sure (make sure not to exceed speed 5 on the GG6-It's a powerful mother F'er)

Also, when you buy new pads get some uro-tec maroon light compound and uro-tec yellow polishing pads. The maroon low-pro polishing pads are incredible as well but uro-tec's are just as good and you can get a great deal on a 6 pack.

Just make sure if you are struggling with excessive heat you buy some pads with the center cooling chamber! Good luck!! let us know what pads you decide on and how they work for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    Hey man, and Welcome!

Looks like a lot of the product sat in the middle of the pad. Also your sections are a little to big. I would do smaller sections next time for sure. Its also easier to track progress of your correcting this way!

A little tip, When i reapply polish, I put it either further to the outside of the pad, or put it where I see needs more product.

Its possible heat was a factor is the pads break down. Did you notice the polish drying up, or you work time for those sections was long?
    Thanks a bunch - Ive got more pads and a vented backing plate on the way and I'll break that hood into 6 sections and not work as long. yes the polish did seem a bit dry too. I'll also hit the pad edges when I reapply and post back when I try it again with your tips implemented. Pads and plate should be here Tuesday. Thanks for the tips - very much appreciated. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Overheating for sure (make sure not to exceed speed 5 on the GG6-It's a powerful mother F'er)

Also, when you buy new pads get some uro-tec maroon light compound and uro-tec yellow polishing pads. The maroon low-pro polishing pads are incredible as well but uro-tec's are just as good and you can get a great deal on a 6 pack.

Just make sure if you are struggling with excessive heat you buy some pads with the center cooling chamber! Good luck!! let us know what pads you decide on and how they work for you!!!
    Thanks - I'll get some ordered and give it a try. The velcro was good on the pad and backing place. i'm guessing I worked the area to long and to big as others have said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    how many pads do you have to do the car, you'll need more than one!
    Just the one that came with the kit. Only wanted to experiment on the hood so I learned a $14 lesson.......LOL. Ive got more on the way and also going to try the uro-tech maroon as suggested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast