autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Griot's Polisher/Buffer Selection please

Hey guys - been a while since I've been on as work has kept me busy. Had intended on purchasing a new buffer last year and truly never got around to it. I've just used my PC. That said, I am getting older and the PC (1st generation circa 2004) works great, but simply does not have enough ummph.

So I know I want a new DA polisher/buffer and having done lots of research and forum posting, I have pretty much decided on a GG. Since I am a weekend warrior who does my own cars a couple of times a year each and friends every now and again, I don't have to get the most super-whamodyne one, but I want one that will work well, have more power than the PC, and be reliable.

I also either need to buy both large and small, or get the backing plates to support it because there are just too many panels that a 5" or 6" pad won't fit into. So now I am down to the couple of questions I have:

1 - I really like the Boss setup, but really have no idea if I need the 15 or 21. Thoughts? I prefer 5" over 6" pads because I find them more versatile (easier to use on smaller spaces) - but that might just be my inexperience talking.
    2 - Can I get a small backing plate with the Boss, and if so, is it as easy to change out as the PC? Would it make sense to buy the Boss AND then a separate GG6 or GG3?
    3 - Is the Boss correction product line any good? I used Megs for years, and now use the HD line, but would have no problem switching to the Boss line if it is as easy as it sounds from what reading I have done.
    4 - Any good AG promo codes for the Boss or GG setups? I have the ones they emailed, but every time I try and put it in the cart, it says it doesn't apply to the product.

Thanks for all of your time!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Griot's Polisher/Buffer Selection please

If it were me I would go with the gg boss g15 with their pads and creams it is a great system and the g15 is silky smooth

Post Thanks / Like

I have the flex xfe the rupes and griots and the griots is by far my favorite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toro1966 View Post
    1 - I really like the Boss setup, but really have no idea if I need the 15 or 21. Thoughts? I prefer 5" over 6" pads because I find them more versatile (easier to use on smaller spaces) - but that might just be my inexperience talking.

the G21 which comes stock with the 6" backing plate (G15 comes stock with a 5") so you can use 6.5" pads. purchase the 5" BOSS backing plate separately and you can use 5.5" pads as well. both the G15/21 backing plates are interchangeable with each other on both G15/21 polishers.

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher Free Bonus!

Griots Garage BOSS 5 inch Backing Plate

2 - Can I get a small backing plate with the Boss, and if so, is it as easy to change out as the PC? Would it make sense to buy the Boss AND then a separate GG6 or GG3?

the GG HD 3" DA backing plate would work great for any traditional pc-style DA so you can use 3.5" pads. since you already have a PC you can dedicate it to a smaller pad set-up for tighter/smaller areas and use the G15/21 for larger panels/areas *** NOTE: this backing plate cannot be used with the BOSS G15/21 ***

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate

try calling next time (1-800-869-3011) when there is a sale and see if there is some wiggle room

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I like the idea of having the flexibility of the g21 with the 5" backing plate. Are the weights of the g21 and g15 similar? Also, is the GG3 physically smaller than the g21 with 3" bp? I assume it is so I was wondering how easy the G21 with 3" bp would be to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I like the idea of having the flexibility of the g21 with the 5" backing plate. Are the weights of the g21 and g15 similar? Also, is the GG3 physically smaller than the g21 with 3" bp? I assume it is so I was wondering how easy the G21 with 3" bp would be to use.
    You cannot use the 3" HD backing plate on the G21 or G15 as Visitor notes above. It is for use on the GG6 8mm throw polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

don't have both (G15/21) so i can't measure how much they weigh but i'm guessing it's very minor and probably not that noticeable. purchase the 3" HD backing plate for your PC and you won't need the GG3. not to mention the PC with the 3" HD backing plate will have more power than the GG3...

call autopia on monday (maybe there is some wiggle room, never hurts to ask ) they have one G21 left (open box deal) and it comes with a full warranty just like as if you were to purchase it new..

Open Box Deals - March 2017 Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Think I am sold on the G15 or 21. Just can't figure out which. If I get the G21, I will definitely get the 5" backing pads. I just prefer that size. Now it looks like i'll be waiting until AG has a sale or promo code that includes polishers. I see them every once and a while, but they aren't often.

Post Thanks / Like

If between a 15 and 21. I chose the 21 and here was why. Works with 6.5 pads and with plate can work with 5.5. Hear switching to 5" in the 21 add some bite in the power. This 2ay if you decide you need smaller you can always get a smaller gg unit for a fraction of cost. Like the 3"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk