autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AG newb, deciding on GG6

Hello everyone! I'm a newb to the forum, been a lurker for a little. Been trying to find the right machine for me and I'm pretty sure for what I want to spend the GG6 is it. I have been eyeing it for a while and finally decided I'm pulling the trigger soon.
    pretty sure I'm going to go with this kit
    Griot's Garage Polisher Club Kit, griots orbital polisher, dual action polishers

i think it'll suit my needs between my Ram, Camaro, Hayabusa and the wife's Civic. The Ram and Civic are both new(er) and won't need much correction but hats a lot of truck to hand wax. The Hayabusa is fresher paint that's it good condition just needs a little lover. However the Camaro is a 98, have had since 05. It used to be garaged 100% until it broke, and I left for basic training. It needs a fair amount of correct but nothing too terrible from sitting out side for over a year and then some scuffs from some air hoses, and the time it went to sears for new wheels and tires, animals work there I guess LOL.

Would anyone recommend anything else to go with that kit, or a different kit? I'll try and post up some pics of the car today. I will be pulling the wheels off and getting them polished up to get a nano ceramic coating done soon. The raw aluminum Billet Specialties are terribly maintenance intensive and water spot badly.

I appreciate ate any recommendations as I am new to the DA polisher game.
    ive worked in paint shops/dealerships my entire life prior to the Air Force and have only used rotary buffers/polishers so I've been "skeptical" on the da setups, but researching them has shown me that they are the tool I need for most of what I will be doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AG newb, deciding on GG6

I'd get the 3 inch backing plate and a 5 inch vented plate. I would also go with the BOSS pads I've been loving them. The machine itself​is very capable of most anything.

Here's some 50/50 from the last few weeks with the GG6 and a 6 inch plate with groits BOSS MF cutting pad AG newb, deciding on GG6-1489852149303-jpgAG newb, deciding on GG6-1489852248207-jpgAG newb, deciding on GG6-1489852268936-jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Cant go wrong with GG6 Polisher. Gotta start some where. The gg6 is very similar to the porter cable both very easy to use and you can achieve some amazing results. Guess your looney like me, I like to clean the inside of the wheels too!

You should be able to correct and wax all those cars with a gg6 and good set of pads with no problems. Just take your time test spots and repeat and Im sure you can outperform almost 80%+ of detailers out there.

Welcome to AG!

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta have all the shiny sparkle LOL.
    The car has a sentimental value that makes my excessive level of detail/perfection come out, the bike is just as particular

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, you might consider the GG6 along with the 5" and 3"HD backing plates instead. The GG6 with 3" plate will give you more correcting power (but only you know if the smaller size of the GG3 is something you can't do without). Considering you'll want a lot more pads than you get with that kit anyway, I might take a look at different pads, as well. Lake Country Flat Pads are nice if you're new to machine polishing. Otherwise, lots of people are really liking the thinner BOSS pads (better rotation than thicker pads). And if you DO end up with a GG3, you'd certainly be happier with Lake Country Thin Pro or 3" BOSS pads rather than the ones that come in the kit you mention.

Lots of ways to approach your goals. Don't hesitate to ask more questions, as lots of members here willing to help you out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    As mentioned, you might consider the GG6 along with the 5" and 3"HD backing plates instead. The GG6 with 3" plate will give you more correcting power (but only you know if the smaller size of the GG3 is something you can't do without). Considering you'll want a lot more pads than you get with that kit anyway, I might take a look at different pads, as well. Lake Country Flat Pads are nice if you're new to machine polishing. Otherwise, lots of people are really liking the thinner BOSS pads (better rotation than thicker pads). And if you DO end up with a GG3, you'd certainly be happier with Lake Country Thin Pro or 3" BOSS pads rather than the ones that come in the kit you mention.

Lots of ways to approach your goals. Don't hesitate to ask more questions, as lots of members here willing to help you out!
    So the 3" pads/backing plate will work on the larger unit? So it might be a more economical way to just order the GG6 with backing plates than both machines? If so I like that idea and it would allow me get more pads/liquids than with that kit (assuming).

I might consider the boss pads later once I get used to the machine, my experience has always been with rotary polishers. Dad always had a Milwaukee rotary from the 80s. I gave it back to him once her got back into a body shop when they moved to Florida. That was a big heavy unit but reliable for many years!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the 5" and 3" will work on the GG6 if you have the right backing plate. And definitely get the Griots vented backing plate. Other plates don't keep the pads cool and they will be destroyed in a single session (speaking from experience).

If you want the Boss pads, go with the 6 pad 'pick your own' set. It's much more economical. I just got a set today and they're very nice. I'd also highly recommend the LC ThinPro pads.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all...congrats on ur purchase, you will not regret it. Yes...the new 3" backing plate will work with the GG6. The advantage of having the 3" machine would alleviate having to swap backing plates in the middle of a job to work on smaller areas, but it definitely will not give you the power of the GG6. I use the BOSS pads with my GG6, and they work very well. Autogeek has some nice options for purchasing them....you can mix and match (provided u buy 6 at a time) and save yourself money. Here's a link to that option:

Griots Garage 5.5 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads - 6 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Nice choice for a DA polisher. The GG6 has a lifetime warranty too. Just get the various backing plates and pads for it and you are set. PS: Welcome to AGO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a. GG6 with 5" backing plate and boss pads, great machine.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast