autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Grease is just lubrication, friction is still being introduced to the plate friction = heat.

In theory polish is the same thing, "grease" to lubricate the paint heat is still going to be introduced no matter what.

Sent from my C6743 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    But the grease keeps the situation under control.. Same way engine oil keeps your car running for hundreds of thousands of miles without grinding itself to death. That's why my backing plate shows no signs of the shroud grinding into it.

And to say using the machine without the washers creates extra stress on the motor? Well for all the credit that I've heard people give Griots Garage for building this polisher from "the ground up" I highly doubt they'd be so incompetent to make such a huge mistake and shoot them selves in the foot and risk causing so many of their customers to cash in on their warranty due to using the machine as it was shipped from the factory. There's just no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    But the grease keeps the situation under control.. Same way engine oil keeps your car running for hundreds of thousands of miles without grinding itself to death. That's why my backing plate shows no signs of the shroud grinding into it.

And to say using the machine without the washers creates extra stress on the motor? Well for all the credit that I've heard people give Griots Garage for building this polisher from "the ground up" I highly doubt they'd be so incompetent to make such a huge mistake and shoot them selves in the foot and risk causing so many of their customers to cash in on their warranty due to using the machine as it was shipped from the factory. There's just no way.

No, I said that I would have to use speed 5.5-6 to get the same opms out of speed 4. With no washer.

Running at a higher speed will absolutely put more stress on ANY machine.

The shroud was designed to be safer to reduce rotation and increase oscillation. Again it's polishing with the e brake on.

My point is if your going to be using the shroud at 3-4 that's fine if your opening it up at speed 5-6 your obviously looking for more power, and that is where I think the shroud is useless, because it reducing plate rotation. I rarely need to go above 4 with my washer. And if I was using no washer I would have to use speed 6 to get the same opms

On my mk2 polishers at speed 5-6 they create alot more heat than speed 4. Speed 5-6 can blow up a pad within 5 mins of polishing.

Comparing engine components to plastic are apples and oranges. Lol

Engine components are designed to withstand heat.

Polishing the paint with polish after 5 passes whatever OPM your plate transferred to the paint it experienced the same drag from the shroud, yes it's grease and it's more lubricating but no matter what it is still introducing heat and holding back the opms of the plate.

You saying that them making the machine is shooting them self in the foot goes both ways, why would they issue and recommend if more correction power and aggressive is needed use the washer mod ?

I get plenty of life with no issues out of my back plates, I clean them after every major job. And replace them when they exceed multiple hours.

The plates are 20 dollars. The mk2 rupes has 300 more opms than the boss does, and with no washer mod I think the machine really lacks in correction power the same goes for the boss, with the shroud the machine stalls alot.

If you like the shroud that's fine there is nothing wrong with that different strokes for different folks.

However in order for the machine to properly rotate to my liking I need to be on speed 5-6 with the shroud.

With the washer I rarely exceed speed 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post

Comparing engine components to plastic are apples and oranges. Lol

Engine components are designed to withstand heat.
    Who's comparing engine components to plastic? I compared engine to engine, since you claimed the polishers engine is under excessive stress by allowing the shroud to make any contact with the backing plate as it was shipped to every single person who purchases the Griots polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

On your YT vid where you're demonstrating Essence, you begin the vid by turning the G21 to speed 4.5-5 and proceed to polish non stop between the 3:40 to 6:20 mark... that's almost 3 straight minutes! I believe I counted something like 12 passes that you did... Now I see why excessive heat might be a problem. Lol. Take it easy brahGG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use? Nevermind the paint, backing plate, or the pad, you're gonna burn yourself out polishing that long.GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

In the end it's true, different preferences.GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Who's comparing engine components to plastic? I compared engine to engine, since you claimed the polishers engine is under excessive stress by allowing the shroud to make any contact with the backing plate as it was shipped to every single person who purchases the Griots polishers.

No im sorry, we misunderstood each other.

Again the machine will be able to handle both applications that's what it was designed to do, my point was if the user is at speed 5.5 6 it is obvious they are searching for more power.

So if that user is constantly on speed 5.5 6, Why not use the washer mod and keep it at speed 4. That is my point.

Think of it like highway mileage to city mileage , yes the car was designed for both applications however highway mileage puts less stress on the motor.

Speed 5-6 will absolutely constantly on the machine will cause more stress, just like constant high speed would cause more stress on a engine. Higher OPMS = RPMS.

If I had to choose 2 polishers constantly running one at speed 4 and one at speed 6 I would absolutely pick the one running at speed 4 to last longer.

Again this is not me saying that any machine can't handle it.

But heat is the enemy while buffing.

So yes the machine will run cooler at speed 4, than speed 6.

We both misunderstood each other. I was talking about the shroud and plate experiencing friction. My apologies

And any long throw polisher at speed 3-4 with the shroud really lacks in power.

Post Thanks / Like

On your YT vid where you're demonstrating Essence, you begin the vid by turning the G21 to speed 4.5-5 and proceed to polish non stop between the 3:40 to 6:20 mark... that's almost 3 straight minutes! I believe I counted something like 12 passes that you did... Now I see why excessive heat might be a problem. Lol. Take it easy brahGG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use? Nevermind the paint, backing plate, or the pad, you're gonna burn yourself out polishing that long.GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

In the end it's true, different preferences.GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

Essence is not a compound, it is a polish and i was working HALF a door of a f150. That is why I extended my buffing cycle. I worked 2 times the normal size I would and that =s to 2 buffing cycles. That is the same equavilance as doing 2 whole section passes.

I do not polish like a robot , I know what needs to be done to get the job done, and for that particular​ panel I wanted to create a large panel to make a dramatic before and after for the video. If I was trying to make a panel perfect and was being paid properly for my time, I would not use essence, and I would not work that large of a area. And I was at speed 4.5 , again I was using a polish not a compound.

The video below I make the panel perfect in 2 buffing cycles, at speed 4.

Apples and oranges.

https://youtu.be/t6JuOrBdAsI

Heat is not a issue for me what's so ever, never blew up or had any issues with my backplate and if I do it's only $20 dollars to replace so I am not the one stressing out about heat.

Im good.

Post Thanks / Like

Screw the washer. Trim the shroud a bit and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the machine but if you have to modify shroud or add washers so the backing plate won't hit the shroud, it sounds like a design flaw. Hope Griot see this and makes a change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Screw the washer. Trim the shroud a bit and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Lets see how you trimmed yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmayer View Post
    I don't have the machine but if you have to modify shroud or add washers so the backing plate won't hit the shroud, it sounds like a design flaw. Hope Griot see this and makes a change.
    using the washer is an option not mandatory and many use it without it, and some people may or may not use them on both the BOSS and rupes polishers. like anything else, problems can happen to any of them...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast