autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BOSS user

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New BOSS user

OK,
    My lovely wife was nice enough to get me a BOSS G21 for XMAS..it will be used on my 2015 MB E63 in Obsidian Black...
    So far seems to be a good machine... however, a couple of questions... she got a starter pack on pads ...Orange / White / Red and black...

So a couple of things I notice doesn't seem like I get much cut at all unless it with the white pad... these are all the Griots pads BTW... and it does a decent job...but will certainly need additional pads so I am looking for some suggestions..
    The car has some lite drying swirls at most and maybe a few a little worse its really been babied since day 1... but im anal and I can see them in the sun so.. I want to get them out... Im using Griots all in one to start and also plan to use blackfire and ice combo after I get to where I want..
    So what would be the suggestion on pads would be my first question..

Second is a little more complicated.. this car has a allot of panels on it and the 6.5" pads seem BIG to me... I thought about getting like a 3" to supplement but but sure... is that the right way to go or can I somehow convert this to also run a 3/4" pad setup if so how?

I certainly appreciate all the advice I can get... I just would like to make sure and get the most bang for the buck and it seems like getting a smaller DA might be overkill..

A little background out of HS I worked for a car wash and was brought up on rotary buffer and understand paint correction on a small level.. that has been some 30+ years ago and things have changed a ton.. I can see..
    I do really enjoying doing the work myself so looking to gain as much insight as I can before I spend (OR as my wife might thing BLOW) more $$

thank you in advance..
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New BOSS user

Pick up a Griot's BOSS 5" backing plate and use with 5" pads. It will make the 21mm throw a lot more versatile. You cannot convert a 21mm to 3" or 4" pads. Good technique is definitely required with the long throw polishers.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

One important question to ask when a member mentions "Mercedes Benz". Does this vehicle have Ceramiclear Paint?

The smaller optional Backing Plate and a host of the compatible sized Pads will aid you for better maneuverability on much more of the vehicle. Most seems to agree that the larger pads can have their limitations in tighter areas, curved panels, etc.

Let us know about the paint first, then I'm sure you'll be able to receive some better recommendations as to polishes.

Often is the case, is that there are some "All in One" products that can do a few things combined in one easier step, like polish, clean and protect the paint, but some may not be optimal for any given particular task at hand.

Don't skip the proverbial "Test Spot" with any polish product. That you might achieve decent results, but not optimal.

"Rome was not built in a Day", and of course there might only be very few of us, who can immediately go out, buy every Menzerna, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Griots, Lake Country, etc etc etc product to have on hand at an Arm's reach.

That such accumulation of the various variety of products and tools have taken many of us not only some good months, but even some years to amass.

I've been here since what. 2012? I can say at this point finally that I have most basic "bases" covered to get by.

Without any doubt, I know for a fact that I have spend multiple thousands of dollars here at autogeek, and autopia since becoming a member.
    Probably possess more detailing products in my arsenal, than all the detailing shops in this entire town combined, and of course "the best of the best!"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

any suggestion on brand etc?

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a good start though, many say the new Griots Boss Machines are very nice indeed, and of course an incomparable lifetime warrantee.

We're not sure where you're located, and as you can imagine, there's many of us due to current weather conditions across the USA, that cannot basically do anything, but rely on protectants we have applied before the cold weather came.

My good friend, who lives in Detroit Lakes, MN is currently facing wicked sub zero temps, like -22F every morning that he wakes up. Good news for the Ice Fisherman though, because when it's that cold, you can drive a Semi Tractor-Trailer out onto any frozen lake, without worry of falling through!

Perhaps before you can further fine tune your tools, pad selection, products, it might be of comfort to at least know you've got some paint protection on board to hold you till you can accumulate some more things to have on hand and perfect your processes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried putting a 3" backing plate with Rupes 100mm pads on a 15mm throw machine, it was like a jack hammer. I would not recommend it. But, it meant I could try the system before I purchased a 15mm throw pneumatic mini.

If you want a smaller machine for getting into tight areas, then a few good options include:

A rotary fitted with a 3" backing plate.

A griots 6" DA polisher fitted with a 3" backing plate.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbiddle View Post
    any suggestion on brand etc?

Thx
    Sure!
    One would maybe think offhand that the House Brands that autogeek carries might be sub-par to more well known brands, let's say Meguiars, 3M, Mothers, etc, but truth be told, they are all basically world class cutting edge products with many times very little peer.

As for Chemical goods such as Polishes, Sealants, Trim and Tire Protectants, Pad Cleaners, Interior Cleaners, and in fact every product within the entire line-up, the one brand that I really respect and love, and have always found every one of the products do everything they claim they will do, and more, is Wolfgang!

Yes, some a little pricey in cost, but one can make no mistake with the entire product line.

And of course there are many fans here of Blackfire, McKees, Pinnacle, etc, all Palm Beach Motoring Group house brands. They just won't release a bad product, and if they ever possibly did, trust that you're covered, they'll cheerfully refund-credit your money, exchange, etc.

As I understand it, the Wolfgang Polishes are formulated, and manufactured by Menzerna USA, parent company is I believe in Germany. And these polish products are relied upon for final finishing of many German Automobiles.

Polishes such as Wolfgang Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze are a trio that should be in everyone's arsenal IMO, and will handle 99.7% of an average detailer's needs and produce absolutely stellar results.

And Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, I'd have to say is the finest Sealant I've ever used bar none, and I've sure used a lot in my many years of trials and use. Just dripping wet in appearance, so easy to use, and lasts.

Post Thanks / Like

As for polishing pads, there are so many of very high quality. Griots, Rupes, Lake Country, Buff and Shine, Carpro, etc.

Since you've gleefully received a free wheeling DA Machine (Boss), most will suggest thin pads, to optimize correction abilities with such a machine, perhaps the Lake Country Thin Flat Pads, or the newer Lake Country ThinPro Line.

If for just a car or three in your personal collection, start with perhaps 5-6 of each color (aggressiveness) to have on hand. with proper use, and care-cleaning, they are very durable, and will last through many multiple uses.

Having only 2 of this, and 3 of that usually won't cut it unless your willing to wait until pads are cleaned and dry, or maybe have a pad washer on hand.

Study the many Mike Phillips videos, and perhaps as many have, he does have a print book on detailing that covers all basics.

Note his techniques, how he uses tools and products, things like his arm speed, downward pressure applied, the section pass, inspection of paint initially, and as you go through the processes.

Post Thanks / Like

Pick up some fast cut compound, will work very well for your car in my experience. Follow that with the finishing sealant and the black pad. I generally top that off with show car wax and things turn out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, many here, not only the pros, but hobbyists have more than one machine. So many choices.

Some might spring for a cheapo Harbor Freight DA, set that up with smaller Pads, the Baby Griots, Porter Cable, or Rupes Machines, and even Griots makes some tiny stuff if you need such for the really tight areas which aren't that expensive. If you have a good Air Compressor, there you go.

And of course there's the human hand!

When Polishing, Masking is a definite, have tape on hand. Clay, and the Iron Removal products are also wise choices to have in your arsenal, always.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast