autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BOSS user

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New BOSS user

Sorry a little more info..

The Paint Code is (197) which I believe is the Ceramiclear Paint..not 100% sure what that equates to ...

Environment wise I live in southern IN and its not terribly harsh but the car would not likely ever see snow it barely sees rain...but its certainly not a garage queen either...

I already have started masking it off getting ready .. yes washed and clayed first... but as I said the 6.5" pads seem to leave allot to be desired from a contact perspective and the yellow Griots pads did not seem to provide much cut at all as I really only seen some of the small swirls go away once I moved to the white more aggressive pad... and I am not sure I want to do the whole car in that...

So if we are suggesting a full rotary for the smaller areas.. and yes I will want to get those at well.. and suggestions would be great.. I have and air compressor bout would rather go with electric...so maybe the flex PE8?

I really appreciate all the feedback thus far.. and probably have read more threads here than I can count.. but figured it was time to start asking some direct questions... in hopes of making smart purchasing choices as I move forward...

Thank again..
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a picture of your pads? I'm guessing she got you the standard Griot's foam pads on not the BOSS ones as they don't have a red BOSS pad....(unless it's the foam back MF pad). You will have better results with the BOSS pads and I'd suggest the GG6 with a 3-4" backing plates, which will be perfect for the tighter areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't have any actual pictures have not figured out how to do that just yet but it was this kit.
    Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Starter Kit if that helps?

Post Thanks / Like

I think what you have is fine, you need the correct liquid to get the results you want. Don't concern yourself with the whole ceramic thing. Just concentrate on technique. If you want to get a 3 inch machine and pads. Also watch the boss system video

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbiddle View Post

The Paint Code is (197) which I believe is the Ceramiclear Paint..not 100% sure what that equates to ...
    Hi and welcome to Autogeek. For this question you should reference this Mike Phillips article:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html

Obsidian Black is paint code 040, or "C040" for cerami-clear.

Mercedes paints tend to be fairly hard clearcoats, be sure to do a test spot before you do the entire car.
    Actually, I usually do several and compare the differences.
    Mike's video will show how to do multiple test spots: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...rt-finish.html

Here is a CLS550 I did earlier this year. I started with a G15 and the white pads and Boss Fast Correcting Cream. It was my first time using the BOSS pads, and the White seemed very course. Did another test spot and with a LC CCS Yellow Pad with Pinnacle Advanced Compound. I liked how it finished off. Since the customer didn't want a coating we used a BOSS Finishing Pad and HD Speed, followed by Liquid Souvran.

Since then I actually love the BOSS Orange and BOSS White pads and prefer them over the BOSS MF. The BOSS White pad has a great cut, long working time and will finish off with a high gloss.

If you're not changing your pads often, be sure to give them a good brush out, again reference Mike Phillips video above. Personally I use about 6 pads for cut, 4 for polish and one for applying a wax.

Let us know how you make out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbiddle View Post

Environment wise I live in southern IN and its not terribly harsh but the car would not likely ever see snow it barely sees rain...but its certainly not a garage queen either...

I already have started masking it off getting ready .. yes washed and clayed first... but as I said the 6.5" pads seem to leave allot to be desired from a contact perspective and the yellow Griots pads did not seem to provide much cut at all as I really only seen some of the small swirls go away once I moved to the white more aggressive pad... and I am not sure I want to do the whole car in that...

So if we are suggesting a full rotary for the smaller areas.. and yes I will want to get those at well.. and suggestions would be great.. I have and air compressor bout would rather go with electric...so maybe the flex PE8?

I really appreciate all the feedback thus far.. and probably have read more threads here than I can count.. but figured it was time to start asking some direct questions... in hopes of making smart purchasing choices as I move forward...

Thank again..
    Kevin
    Check with your dealer about the paint code. I'm far from being knowledgeable about MB Vehicles, but thought there should either be a prefix of suffix of the letter "C" in the paint code, and might be stickers under hood, etc that might mention the Ceramiclear Paint Finish.

And again know little about that paint, but think I've read it is ultra hard, but still considerable care needs to be exercised when polishing, that just go a little too far with a heavy polishing process, and you will ruin the paint.

Always better to do less, than to do too much with correction. And no, today, basically, nobody needs a rotary polisher unless you are a professional, or own a paint-body shop. The DA, and the hand can do it all with the right products, pads, and technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Check with your dealer about the paint code.
    Mercedes-Benz Paint Code Locations | Touch Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup

When working on this E-Class Last summer, it had Cerami-Clear, but sadly the paint was hammered. The car was 9 years old with 150K miles on it.
    Most sections had been repainted... We still did our due diligence, but this E350 got HD Speed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that is the older paint code like back to 07 or so as MB has since done away with Ceramiclear which was a PPG product .... the new clearcoat used by MB is supposedly better than Ceramiclear was...

Now if all of this is true or not I have not a clue but it is what the official MB stance on it is or has been...

Post Thanks / Like

ThinPro pads 5.5" work very well on regular DA so the long throw should be even better.

Would not go smaller.

The ThinPro cutting pad (grey) cuts very well and the white works good with AIO.

The ThinPro pads rotate better and run much cooler.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the G21 System. IMHO the Griots pads are awesome as is the entire line up of BOSS products. Did you get the system? Their new BOSS line is exceptional and with t heease of matchup of pad to product it's super simple. I do also have the 5" bp for my G21 and have pretty much run with that since I bought it when it came out.

I have a Rupes Mini and love it. I would say that would be a great addtion. I also use it to apply all my lsp's.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast