autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GRIOT'S 3 inch orbital buffer

I still consider myself new to all this. My first purchase from Autogeek last August was a Griot's 6". Its great, I now have it fit with a 5" LC backing plate. It takes care of what I need, I just take care of my own car. Its a great tool for someone just starting out. Also in the spring I got a Griot's 3" to go with it. It is great for waxing, just drop it in the pot, and go to town. In July I used it to help polish my car prior to using Wolfgang Coating. Good in the tight spots, great for pillars and such. Handy tool to have!

Post Thanks / Like

To mantilgh

Hi thanks for your response. The Griots 6 in orbital is the first one I'm looking at, then the PC 7424xp as a second purchase, which would give me a total of 3 buffers. As a weekend warrior this should do well for me. This is completely new hobby for me so I know it will be awhile before I am proficient. Never had a problem buying nice tools God knows I love Snap-On and Mac tools. As far as being old and out of shape LOL; old yes, out of shape no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    I still consider myself new to all this. My first purchase from Autogeek last August was a Griot's 6". Its great, I now have it fit with a 5" LC backing plate. It takes care of what I need, I just take care of my own car. Its a great tool for someone just starting out. Also in the spring I got a Griot's 3" to go with it. It is great for waxing, just drop it in the pot, and go to town. In July I used it to help polish my car prior to using Wolfgang Coating. Good in the tight spots, great for pillars and such. Handy tool to have!
    Thanks.... I'm pretty sure that buffer will be my next purchase with the 5 in backing plate and a bunch of pads and I'll use the 3 in Griot for waxing and a touchup spot etc

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Griot's 3" and I find it doesn't have much power when using the thick Lake Country 3" Flat Pads with the curved edges. I used mostly the orange medium cutting pads for correction and the white pads for the Polishing steps.

I also find the machine runs quite hot after 5-10 minutes on high (speeds 5-6).

I am going to try the Lake Country 3.5 inch Thin Pro Pads, to see if they work better and cooler (supposed to be easier to keep spinning because they are thin).

I do used it primarily on the bumpers, which are plastic, which may have contributed to the heat issue.

I also have the Rupes Nano iBrid short neck, which now takes care of all the spots I found the Girot's was previously used for.

I still use mine quite a bit, but mostly with White and Dark Grey pads for applying waxes and sealants.

And finally, I also have a Porter Cable 7424xp, which is by far my go to machine.

I use it with 4", 5", 6" and 4" Foamed Wool pads with all Compounds, Polishes and Last Step Products.

Works well for me and it is the one I am most comfortable with when using when polishing my DD.

My last comment is, by taking the time to do an entire Chevelle with a 3" Griot Polisher, you show you have patience, which is a very good tool to use as you learn this hobby.

Take your time and do some research on product and pad applications and always do a test spot (oh and have fun - nobody is paying you so it's not work).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anderson3754 View Post
    To mantilgh

Hi thanks for your response. The Griots 6 in orbital is the first one I'm looking at, then the PC 7424xp as a second purchase, which would give me a total of 3 buffers. As a weekend warrior this should do well for me. This is completely new hobby for me so I know it will be awhile before I am proficient. Never had a problem buying nice tools God knows I love Snap-On and Mac tools. As far as being old and out of shape LOL; old yes, out of shape no.
    Anderson3754 Only if you feel the need but if I were you I'd get the PC 7424xp and leave the GG6 alone. Not saying the GG6 is bad I have one but at this point you'd have two similar tools. Spend that money on multiple pads like the Lake Country Thin Pros. These thin pads Kick butt on that DA, then spend on polishes, backing plates, and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I have the Griot's 3" and I find it doesn't have much power when using the thick Lake Country 3" Flat Pads with the curved edges. I used mostly the orange medium cutting pads for correction and the white pads for the Polishing steps.

I also find the machine runs quite hot after 5-10 minutes on high (speeds 5-6).

I am going to try the Lake Country 3.5 inch Thin Pro Pads, to see if they work better and cooler (supposed to be easier to keep spinning because they are thin).

I do used it primarily on the bumpers, which are plastic, which may have contributed to the heat issue.

I also have the Rupes Nano iBrid short neck, which now takes care of all the spots I found the Girot's was previously used for.

I still use mine quite a bit, but mostly with White and Dark Grey pads for applying waxes and sealants.

And finally, I also have a Porter Cable 7424xp, which is by far my go to machine.

I use it with 4", 5", 6" and 4" Foamed Wool pads with all Compounds, Polishes and Last Step Products.

Works well for me and it is the one I am most comfortable with when using when polishing my DD.

My last comment is, by taking the time to do an entire Chevelle with a 3" Griot Polisher, you show you have patience, which is a very good tool to use as you learn this hobby.

Take your time and do some research on product and pad applications and always do a test spot (oh and have fun - nobody is paying you so it's not work).
    I felt a need to tear down my little GG-3, because it had sure seemed a good deal noisier the second time I went to use it.

Upon disassembly what I found was two Armature Brushes broken in 1/2. Luckily, it came with a pair of new brushes and I replaced them.

What I seemed to note, was that upon re-assembly, the brushes, due to design had a propensity to want to fall out of their retaining bores in the plastic housing halves, and then create a possible cause of damage to the brushes upon snapping the two housing halves back together.

I cured that snafu with a couple pieces of electrical tape, one piece to retain each brush so they would remain properly installed-seated, and would not improperly protrude too far out upon re-assembly..

The other thing I found was basically the front of the housing heavily loaded with what appeared to be a clear, and possible synthetic grease, but not one little bit of lubricants on the pinion drive gears.

Not knowing how good the quality of the factory grease was, I removed all of it, and replaced the grease with Super Lube Full Synthetic High Temp Grease which is fortified with Teflon. Evidently, from centrifugal force, in time the grease is slung away from the drive gears, and won't offer much in the way of protection.

The combination of these tweaks, and repair made the machine run the way I believed it was intended to run, and it was smoother and quieter in operation. It is an easy machine to disassemble, just make note of those two motor brushes when re-assembling that they stay properly retained.

As for running warm, I think it's just the nature of the beast, it surely is not some engineering masterpiece. Possible these machines from the overseas OEM might've been $10-$15 each is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Sorry for being late to the party in possibly answering your question. If it were me, I would get a more powerful DA. You can go to a PC7424 XP or the more powerful GG6". These are great DA's. I moved up to the Flex 3401 from my PC7424 XP. I still use my PC7424 as my mini 3" DA and it is awesome. To give you my opinion on the GG3" is simple. I had one and Donated it to an AGO member. I wanted to give it to someone that could find use for it instead of being the paperweight that I used it for.

As for the 4" size; that is what I also use for the PC7424 and it is awesome. But if it were me I would use the GG3" as a paperweight or donate it to an AGO member or something like that. No offense to the people that like the GG3"
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    what he said
    +2 I have a PC. The Griot's 6" is more powerful. May give you a little more time before you feel like you need to upgrade again. If your only working on a couple cars that and the 3" Griot's for the small stuff and you'll be all set. I would recommend the 5" backing plate and 5.5 inch pads if that hasn't been mentioned.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    +2 I have a PC. The Griot's 6" is more powerful. May give you a little more time before you feel like you need to upgrade again. If your only working on a couple cars that and the 3" Griot's for the small stuff and you'll be all set. I would recommend the 5" backing plate and 5.5 inch pads if that hasn't been mentioned.
    I'm a fan of the GG6 with the 5" backing plate too

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean to disappear. I had a opportunity to spend 2-3 hrs on weds and thurs with a guy that does detailing and buffing. Got to try a PC7424 and a IR 3129xp which is air powered and orbital. Gotta say I really like the PC7424 a lot. I think that's going to be my next purchase. Apparently there's nothing wrong with buffing a whole car out with a 4 or a 5 inch pad. Explaining the cars from the 50's,60's and 70's have so many sharp body lines, that by the time you cut in both sides of all these body lines the car is half done, and there's no reason you can't finish the car out with a 4-5 inch pad, adding I do it all the time. Also invited back next week if I wish, offering to explain what pads and polishes he likes to use and why.

So this is where I'm at with this new found hobby of mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast