autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this rattling normal for the GG6?

Possible you got a lemon? Sure it is. I bought a GG3 from Ebay a couple years back, , thing didn't last 15 minutes of use, running super hot, very noisy, and without a doubt, it was never used, fresh unused DA Machine.

Sure, I could've contacted Griots, they probably would've replaced it no questions asked, but I of course would have had to ship on my dime.

So, out came the necessary tools, and did some surgery one morning. What I found inside was looking new, but found 2 cracked in 1/2 Motor Brushes, and enough grease to lube a car's front end bearings, but the drive gears without a shred of it, all slung to the inside of the plastic housing.

I noted a design defect, the Brushes had no means to properly stay in place upon assembly of the two case halves, that as you assemble the machine, the brushes are ready to fly out, and then become improperly seated in their recesses.

Thank God the machine came with a set of spare Brushes, as I had to replace both, I found a way to retain them so they would not budge and pop out, and flop out upon re-assembly which they inheritly will, cleaned, and totally removed all the factory grease, which was questionable, and applied-coated the drive gears directly with Super Lube Teflon Synth Grease.

Was back in action, and a night-day difference. I made sure I ran the machine a little at a time, and for just seconds to hopefully seat the new Brushes without destroying them.

Griots has a superb warrantee, but IMO, that doesn't mean you're getting a Flex, or Rupes DA, and the quality they have for your money spent.

I'd contact the seller, or contact Griots. Dump it, get another, or get a refund and don't look back. Life is too short to monkey with defective tools.

Post Thanks / Like

everyone has their own opinions and experiences...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else noticed this guy's name is the urinator?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Possible you got a lemon? Sure it is. I bought a GG3 from Ebay a couple years back, , thing didn't last 15 minutes of use, running super hot, very noisy, and without a doubt, it was never used, fresh unused DA Machine.

Sure, I could've contacted Griots, they probably would've replaced it no questions asked, but I of course would have had to ship on my dime.

So, out came the necessary tools, and did some surgery one morning. What I found inside was looking new, but found 2 cracked in 1/2 Motor Brushes, and enough grease to lube a car's front end bearings, but the drive gears without a shred of it, all slung to the inside of the plastic housing.

I noted a design defect, the Brushes had no means to properly stay in place upon assembly of the two case halves, that as you assemble the machine, the brushes are ready to fly out, and then become improperly seated in their recesses.

Thank God the machine came with a set of spare Brushes, as I had to replace both, I found a way to retain them so they would not budge and pop out, and flop out upon re-assembly which they inheritly will, cleaned, and totally removed all the factory grease, which was questionable, and applied-coated the drive gears directly with Super Lube Teflon Synth Grease.

Was back in action, and a night-day difference. I made sure I ran the machine a little at a time, and for just seconds to hopefully seat the new Brushes without destroying them.

Griots has a superb warrantee, but IMO, that doesn't mean you're getting a Flex, or Rupes DA, and the quality they have for your money spent.

I'd contact the seller, or contact Griots. Dump it, get another, or get a refund and don't look back. Life is too short to monkey with defective tools.
    Think I'm gonna try to scoop up a Flex, I will feel better about having a German made tool rather than a Chinese one. I wish there was an American alternative. Thanks for your input, i completely agree with the bolded!
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Hahah. I love European cars, Ive owned many VW's and currently own a VW and an Audi so it's kind of a play on words.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Mark.

If it weirds you out, send it back, and get a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Ha!!

Clever.

Post Thanks / Like

My GG6 sounded exactly like that, but if I listen closely to your video, there seems to be a periodic "click-click-click" in there. The Gawd awful grinding noise is what I remember, but the "clicks" I do not.

BTW, got a pop-up window with a request to install some software...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    My GG6 sounded exactly like that, but if I listen closely to your video, there seems to be a periodic "click-click-click" in there. The Gawd awful grinding noise is what I remember, but the "clicks" I do not.

BTW, got a pop-up window with a request to install some software...
    Those clicks are what I'm talking about, I think I'm getting a Rupes or Flex so I know I have the best. Sorry about the pop ups, I know for the future not to use that site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheEuronater View Post
    ...I think I'm getting a Rupes or Flex so I know I have the best.
    I wouldn't necessarily knock the GG6. I thought it was pretty good -- better than my Rupes 15 (Mark I, I guess). I gave it up for the Rupes 15 because the ergonomics were better with the Rupes and the performance difference was marginal, albeit better in the GG6. IMHO.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my GG6's sound like that. With a pad on it and in contact with the paint, it sounds slightly different - presumably from the pressure on the motor/drive.

Use it and enjoy it. BTW my BOSS 15 sounds very similar.

ScottH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast