autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GC 6" - Pre-buy questions

I've decided to buy the GG6" HD, This will be my first polisher, from what I have read it is very good for first-timers new to machine polishing. My plan is to use it to apply Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion and then Collinite #845. I have a couple of questions:

1. I have a full-size RAM extended cab pickup, should I use the 6.5" pads on the 6" pad, or get a 5" pad for the GC and use the 5.5" pads? My initial thought is bigger pad = less work, there is a lot of sheet metal real estate to work with lol. The first time I did it by hand, Whew!

1. The How-to Collinite thread recommends using a tangerine Lake Country pad to apply the Pinnacle which has some cutting ability.

• My truck is brand-new, how do I know if I need to use a pad with even minimal cutting ability? Do I do a baggie test? (Vehicle was Iron-X'ed and clayed off the lot before current hand application of Collinite in January)

• Is it better to just use the LC Crimson pad with the paint cleansing lotion to be safe?

• Will the machine application of the paint cleansing lotion remove the last application of Collinite? Or is this when I should use the Tangerine/Pinnacle pad?

• What are some of the ways to strip off the old wax and start fresh? I’veheard on the forum P21S and Optimum Power Clean do this, and I have both. Can’tyou also use IPA?

Iknow there are a lot of variables, and without seeing the vehicle in-person thereis no way to judge for sure. I’m just looking for a “general bestpractice/advice”, I know for sure don’t want to risk hurting the paint. Notreally wanting to do paint correction work if I don’t have to, especially for screwing up while learning to machine polish.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GC 6" - Pre-buy questions

the cleansing lotion isn't really going to address swirls/scratches (if there are any) so unless you plan on only cleansing the paint, you may need to step up to a polish/compound in which a test spot will determine (remember all cars are different and there is no one answer for all). on traditional PC-style DA's the 5.5 thin pads will rotate better as there is less foam twisting which will give you better results. you can always try using bigger pads with a test spot and determine if it is the right/acceptable choice in this particular situation. btw, you're gonna love the GG6 - it's a little beast!
    i am the jump starter.

Mike Phillips

Real quick as it's time to close down the Show Car Garage for the night...

Go with the 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads.

For all the work and time it takes to run a buffer around a car or truck, if you're going to do this then at a minimum use a fine cut polish. It will do everything a paint cleaner will do PLUS remove any minor swirls, scratches and other minor imperfections.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with visitor on getting the 5.5 pads on the 5in backing plate. I felt like I had more control than the 6.5in pad. Like stated above the rotation is better, it does not have the bogging/ loss of power feeling. Using thinner type pads also helps with this. I personally use hydrotech pads. In the middle of the road pads as far as thickness goes, and work awesome. I have only compared them to the ccs pads but they did a great job for me. Also for a beginner, the hydrotech tech pads only come in 3 options. Very easy to figure what pad to go with. Some other options give you up to 9 pads to choose from. Sometimes that gets you more confused as to which pad to pick. Sometimes less is better.

Post Thanks / Like

What Mike said..I have used this method on my cars and it works....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to order the GG6 with a 5" backing plate instead of the 6" that comes with it, since it seems like no one reccomends the 6" backing that comes with it? I would think a 5" plate should be standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, this is why this forum/community is so awesome. Great No-nonsense advice!

Now I have to find a good "fine cut polish" as Mike suggested... Anyone have any suggestions?

Mike Phillips

A few more comments.... when I repled last night it was late and I just finished buffing out a 1972 Corvette and a 2005 Mercedes-Benz so I wanted to head home...

Quote Originally Posted by RAMRebel View Post

I've decided to buy the GG6" HD, This will be my first polisher, from what I have read it is very good for first-timers new to machine polishing. My plan is to use it to apply Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion and then Collinite #845. I have a couple of questions:

1. I have a full-size RAM extended cab pickup, should I use the 6.5" pads on the 6" pad, or get a 5" pad for the GC and use the 5.5" pads? My initial thought is bigger pad = less work, there is a lot of sheet metal real estate to work with lol. The first time I did it by hand, Whew!

The GG is a great tool. After you use it ONE TIME you'll wish you would have moved to machine polishing.

1. The How-to Collinite thread recommends using a tangerine Lake Country pad to apply the Pinnacle which has some cutting ability.
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is a great paint cleaner but it's completely non-abrasive. Any cut would come from the pad and it would be negligble.

I've covered this topic a lot in the 7 years I've been with Autogeek and like I said previously....

If you're going to invest the time and energy to rub a buffer around your truck you might as well use a fine cut polish. It will do everything a non-abrasive paint cleaner will do and more plus the results will look better.

The Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish is a Fine Cut Polish and works EXCELLENT for what you want to do. For what it's worth, I switched Wayne Carini's shop over to PInnacle compounds and polishes and he consistently works on million dollar cars.

• My truck is brand-new, how do I know if I need to use a pad with even minimal cutting ability? Do I do a baggie test? (Vehicle was Iron-X'ed and clayed off the lot before current hand application of Collinite in January)

Iron X removes some types of contaminants. It's considered a chemical decontamination process.

YES - do the baggie test and if you feel little bumps then clay the paint before machine polishing.

• Will the machine application of the paint cleansing lotion remove the last application of Collinite? Or is this when I should use the Tangerine/Pinnacle pad?

Yes but if it were me, my time, my energy and the paint on my truck I would machine polish with Pinnacle Advacned Finishing polish and then go to wax.

• What are some of the ways to strip off the old wax and start fresh? I’veheard on the forum P21S and Optimum Power Clean do this, and I have both. Can’tyou also use IPA?
    This is confusion. It's not your fault as there is a lot of confusion when you're first getting into car detailing. That's what we're here for.

If you machine polish with a fine cut polish not only will you remove any previously applied wax but you'll also remove any fine paint defects and make the paint look AMAZING! Plus you'll PERFECTLY prepare the paint for wax.

If you chemically strip the paint you may or may not remove some or all of the wax and chemcial stripping poses a greater risk for dulling the paint and even scratching the paint.

Dont turn something very easy into rocket science.

Iknow there are a lot of variables, and without seeing the vehicle in-person there is no way to judge for sure. I’m just looking for a “general bestpractice/advice”, I know for sure don’t want to risk hurting the paint.

Notreally wanting to do paint correction work if I don’t have to, especially for screwing up while learning to machine polish.

The only way you could screw up the paint on this truck using a dual action polisher with a foam pad and a fine cut polish would be to stand on a ladder over the hood of your truck and drop the polisher on the hood.

Thanks!
    Spend $10.00 and get this DVD and watch it and you'll know everything you need to know to get PRO resutls your very first time.

Get head knowledge first and then go out into your garage...

How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher Updated!

Hope some of the above helps...

Mike Phillips

Here's some more help... the below is taken from this article, there's more info I didn't copy and paste...

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Here's a quick video that show how and why to mark your backing plate to see and monitor pad rotation while doing any correction or polishing steps.

If you have not read this and you're new to machine polishing... read it!

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

DON'T LOOSE THE COMPRESSION WASHER!

The Compression Washer

Most excellent fine cut polish that will never let you down and always leave the paint looking amazing....

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmtaylor51 View Post
    Is it possible to order the GG6 with a 5" backing plate instead of the 6" that comes with it, since it seems like no one reccomends the 6" backing that comes with it? I would think a 5" plate should be standard.
    I do not believe so. While I love my GG6, and most of the Griots stuff I have, they are good at making you pay for options. The 5" backing plate will run you about 20.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast