autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 heat issues

Okay so I've been doing some research and getting conflicting results before purchasing a polisher. So far I'm leaning towards this polisher in particular but I've also heard that it generates a lot of heat. Is there a method that you have to use in order to reduce the heat with this polisher? I was going to lean more towards the rupes line of polishers (was told there's less issues with heat) but they tend to slip on surfaces that aren't flat. How accurate is it to say that the rupes creates less heat compared to the Flex and vice versa? What's the general thought behind these findings and the science?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 heat issues

I have a flex and it does heat up. I've read on here to use the right gauge electric chord. I'm not too sure what gauge it is off the top of my head. Also to put some air tool oil on the felt ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lustrous Detail View Post
    I have a flex and it does heat up. I've read on here to use the right gauge electric chord. I'm not too sure what gauge it is off the top of my head. Also to put some air tool oil on the felt ring.
    When they refer to heat are they talking about the pad or machine?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used and abused and have dropped my Flex 3401 a couple of times. I recently repaired the switches on them as they wore out instead of the brushes. I have had it for about 2 yrs +.
    As for heating issues; I have never experienced that issue. I believe if you have the wrong type of gauge cord then you might have heating issues. This is the DA itself NOT the Pads. Pads do get warm (as they should from any DA because of friction).

Proper lubrication on the felt ring helps reduce heat. But as I said before I have beaten up my Flex and it is still not too hot to the touch. It is hot like any other DA but not too hot to touch.

IMO I believe long use with any DA will generate heat. You also have to remember, the Flex 3401 is the only "forced rotational" DA on the market ...ie gear driven DA. All others are free floating DA's.

I have never used a Rupes or the new Boss system, however, I hear nothing but great things about them. If you are concerned about the Flex heating issues look into those brands too.

My $.02 worth.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Auto geek also sell those guzzlers and they do hold a lot of ice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apierce1289 View Post
    Okay so I've been doing some research and getting conflicting results before purchasing a polisher. So far I'm leaning towards this polisher in particular but I've also heard that it generates a lot of heat. Is there a method that you have to use in order to reduce the heat with this polisher? I was going to lean more towards the rupes line of polishers (was told there's less issues with heat) but they tend to slip on surfaces that aren't flat. How accurate is it to say that the rupes creates less heat compared to the Flex and vice versa? What's the general thought behind these findings and the science?

The Flex does generate more heat then some others tools (head of the tool) but I never had it get to the point where it was uncomfortable. The Rupes will run much cooler by comparison but can be stalled on curves, which is really about learning the proper technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about heat generated in the pad?? If so, any polisher can overheat pads--you need to keep the pad clean, use good technique and have enough pads to be able to switch pads in and out of service to allow them time to cool.

Have you considered that you may need to buy a second polisher in order to polish the tight areas on your vehicle?? Perhaps others with a Flex can answer the question for you, but it's my understanding that even with the LC 4" backing plate (used for 5.5" pads) it is really pushing it to try and use 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Are you talking about heat generated in the pad?? If so, any polisher can overheat pads--you need to keep the pad clean, use good technique and have enough pads to be able to switch pads in and out of service to allow them time to cool.

Have you considered that you may need to buy a second polisher in order to polish the tight areas on your vehicle?? Perhaps others with a Flex can answer the question for you, but it's my understanding that even with the LC 4" backing plate (used for 5.5" pads) it is really pushing it to try and use 4" pads.
    Now that I've ordered the Flex that's another issue I need to look at is what would be a good polisher for small areas?

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I've ordered the Flex that's another issue I need to look at is what would be a good polisher for small areas?

I still have my PC7424XP and I use it for the small stuff (as well as a back up DA recently). IMO the PC7424XP or the GG6" (not much more than the PC but more powerful) would be great for the small areas. I have set up the PC to handle 1" Pads to 5.5" Pads. It has done wonders for the small areas. Get the extenders too so you can go UNDER the door mirrors for correcting.

The smaller pads and backing plate make the PC more powerful (my guess less weight and smaller pads do the trick).
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned by Kamakaz1961 either the PC or GG6 would be excellent as a polisher for the small areas. One advatage with the GG6 is the lifetime warranty.

Since you've dropped a bundle on the Flex you might want to consider the Harbor Frieght DA that you can pick up for around $50 with a coupon. Not name brand but allot of people are using it with great success as long as they don't use the backing plate that comes with it or HF pads. The most recent model has been reduced in size and the shroud is smaller which would be good with small pads. See post #139 here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-mods-14.html

Can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but Mike Phillips has a book out dedicated to using the Flex--you can get it here on AG--might be a worth while investment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast