autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Flex 3401 Died last night!! I will fix it (I hope)

My flex had to be returned to the main warehouse in NE like four times over the years but never been charged a penny. Except to ship it one way.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you can get your 3401 repaired without spending too much, I would imagine parts can be pretty expensive.

Does anyone know why they do not use a brushless motor? All of my better power tools have a brushless motor but why not on the Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    That I do not know, however, it looks to me like she's been there for quite a while. Small shop maybe 1,100 Sq Ft a couple of techs there. There were quite a bit of other tools being repaired from drills to big lathing machines.

Flex has her shop in the repair shop guide for all Flex tools. Her website is:

davistoolco.com

She is a hoot to talk too. Mention my Girlfriend got pissed at me and refused to work (my Flex 3401) and she said I should be ashamed and treat her better!!...LOL All kidding aside, she was a real nice person to talk to. Her name is Joan "Thumper" Kennedy.

Hopefully, looking at her website may help. I do believe (not verified but my guess) she is an authorized repair shop for the majors too: Rupes, Griot's, Makita, Dewalt and others. As I said there were quite a bit of different tools that were being repaired.
    Ha! She gas a good sense of humor. Thanks for the info. That might be something I might pursue - I love fixing things like that.

As far as machines go, how is the down shift to the PC? The amount of time the 3401 shaves off my cutting polishing, and sealing steps makes it hard to justify using a random orbital on jobs where time is a factor - like when I have back to back jobs in one day. I'm actually saving for a PE14-2, just to have more power when I need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the flex!! She'll deserve a funeral with all the bangs and whistles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ha! She gas a good sense of humor. Thanks for the info. That might be something I might pursue - I love fixing things like that.

As far as machines go, how is the down shift to the PC? The amount of time the 3401 shaves off my cutting polishing, and sealing steps makes it hard to justify using a random orbital on jobs where time is a factor - like when I have back to back jobs in one day. I'm actually saving for a PE14-2, just to have more power when I need it.
    It's funny you mentioned that. I use the PC for minor corrections and this time I used it for just a polish on a large area. Man it was actually FUN!! I actually covered the area in a decent amount of time. Not as fast as the Flex, however, I think my technique with the PC has actually improved!! Maybe from working on a lot of different cars...who knows!! One thing for sure; I did not count on my Flex from not working. It is great to know that I had a back up. So to all DA users have a back up DA.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the Flex. According to Thumper (Joan) the carbon brushes were fine (I put the old ones back and kept the new ones). There were 2 switches that were bad. I would assume it was the trigger switches. I will know more on Monday.

I will let you know total costs. I am hoping this will help out all the Flex 3401 users know the idea of a Flex DA repair.
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    It's funny you mentioned that. I use the PC for minor corrections and this time I used it for just a polish on a large area. Man it was actually FUN!! I actually covered the area in a decent amount of time. Not as fast as the Flex, however, I think my technique with the PC has actually improved!! Maybe from working on a lot of different cars...who knows!! One thing for sure; I did not count on my Flex from not working. It is great to know that I had a back up. So to all DA users have a back up DA.
    That's good news for sure!

I'm in the middle of battling with an 02 Camaro SS, and the lower concave in the door has swirls laughing hysterically at the PC.... The Flex took good care of those! Incidentally, the best combo for this paint had been the 3401, FG400, LC Cyan h2o, and Rupes Duetto (modded), M100, Rupes blue microfiber cutting disc... Either of those two do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

For those wanting to know how to replace the Flex 3401 brushes, just google "Flex 3401 brush replacement"; top hit should take you to Ivan Rajic's excellent how-to instructions w/pics.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you make out? The most common problem ive been seeing with the FLEX is where the cord goes into the handle. Ive heard if you cut about 8 inches off and put it back in it works like a champ.Seems strange for 2 switches to go bad at the same exact time. I could definitely see 1 going bad but 2 at the same time.
    2016 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD PACKAGE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRDTACO View Post
    How did you make out? The most common problem ive been seeing with the FLEX is where the cord goes into the handle. Ive heard if you cut about 8 inches off and put it back in it works like a champ.Seems strange for 2 switches to go bad at the same exact time. I could definitely see 1 going bad but 2 at the same time.
    I will pick it up tomorrow morning. The 2 parts in question was the trigger switch and speed adjustment switch. Total parts and labor $160.00. I will have a breakdown of the costs of the parts. The carbon brushes were fine and have plenty of life left. Everything else was fine and the cord was not the issue which was a good thing.

I have attached some photos of the Flex apart. It is very easy to change the brushes. Hope this gives Flex users some idea of what is in the inside. I also have a comparison of a used brush compared to a brand new brush. If the Flex breaks in the future; I plan on fixing it myself. It looks pretty simple. I just have to learn how to diagnose the problem.

I hope this helps to all Flex users.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Flex 3401 Died last night!! I will fix it (I hope)-polish-angel-10-17-2015-001-jpg   My Flex 3401 Died last night!! I will fix it (I hope)-polish-angel-10-17-2015-002-jpg   My Flex 3401 Died last night!! I will fix it (I hope)-polish-angel-10-17-2015-009-jpg  
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast