autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 BP size frustration!

While I enjoy my Flex 3401, one thing Ive never been able to wrap my head around is the odd backing plate sizes. Why the heck did they not make a standard size like everyone else!? I dont understand why they think a 4-3/8 inch is a good size for 5 and 5.5 inch pads. Anybody know the reason behind this madness? Im seriously thinking of taking my 5.5 inch plate and mounting it to a lathe and turning it down so it will fit my 5.5 inch inch pads velcro backing perfectly like the rest of my polishers.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 BP size frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb@ImpeccableImage View Post
    While I enjoy my Flex 3401, one thing Ive never been able to wrap my head around is the odd backing plate sizes. Why the heck did they not make a standard size like everyone else!? I dont understand why they think a 4-3/8 inch is a good size for 5 and 5.5 inch pads. Anybody know the reason behind this madness? Im seriously thinking of taking my 5.5 inch plate and mounting it to a lathe and turning it down so it will fit my 5.5 inch inch pads velcro backing perfectly like the rest of my polishers.
    I've used 5.5 inch foam pads on the standard 5.5 inch plate without any issues. If you want an EXACT fitting backing plate, that set up will make you happy. I would not advise this set up unless you're very confident and very experienced.

Ever since Lake Country introduced the Hybrid pads a couple years ago, that's all I use on the 3401, and for good reason - they're the smoothest, most durable pads you can use on that machine. My favorite set up is the 5 inch Hybrid pads (used with 4 inch Changeable Backing Plate System). That's the cat's meow.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System

FLEX XC3401 4 Inch Changeable Backing Plate System

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that and i have the LC interchangable plate system and hybrid pads but I also like my buff and shines and new megs pads

Thanks Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree, Caleb.

I really like Hydrotechs, and Hex Logics on the 3401. Maybe they'll come out with one sometime?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb@ImpeccableImage View Post
    The only thing that I can think of why Flex offers the 4 3/8" plate is that is designed more for the European market where they use a 125mm pad as opposed to our 5.5" pads. With the 125mm pads they often feature a 110mm Velcro attachment thus the 4 3/8" plate fits.

Like you, I would like to see a 5" plate made to use the normal 5.5" pads. Perhaps a 5" plate could designed for use in the LC interchangeable plate system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Ever since Lake Country introduced the Hybrid pads a couple years ago, that's all I use on the 3401, and for good reason - they're the smoothest, most durable pads you can use on that machine. My favorite set up is the 5 inch Hybrid pads (used with 4 inch Changeable Backing Plate System). That's the cat's meow.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System

FLEX XC3401 4 Inch Changeable Backing Plate System

IMO, this is the benchmark setup for the 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tracked my shipment on UPS and my 4" backing plate and 5" hybrid pads should be delivered today. I am excited to try these out. Seems the consensus is a smooth machine with this setup.
    Jeff
    2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

A local machine shop took mine down to 5.3" for $5

Perfect for 5.5" pads and a perfect fit for the CarPro Denim Pads