autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex - first time experience

I just got done using the flex for the first time. Absolutely no experience with polishing at all before today. I found that it worked well and am please with my purchase. The 6.5 inch pads were a bit tricky in some areas and impossible in really tight spots but it made my time a lot easier on my full size truck.

I was hesitant at first but after the first pass it was pretty much game on. I experienced walking for all of a few seconds and then it was pretty apparent how to hold it flat. I think some smaller pads would have been better for the contours of my truck.

Overall pretty pleased. Now if flex just made a 3" mini I could have done everything by machine. I'll have to look into some of the smaller machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Dic95. I did the washer mod and it helped slightly. But I really don't believe that you should spend a lot of money to then change the tool to something that the company maintains is not necessary. Sorry but if the company said don't do it you shouldn't.

RichWentFishing:
    Glad the flex went well. Please get Mike Phillips book. My current thinking is that now a third system is developing (rupes, girots being the other two) around Flex. I call it a system since it is advocated by Mike Phillips and Mike at Dedicated Perfection. Basically the system is Flex with 4 inch LC backing plate, all Menzerna compounds polishes (your choice) but fg400 and sf4500 are critical and 5 inch LC Hybrid pads - orange white black. It is an amazing system if you follow Mike aka Smack procedures. Consider this for next car and please post results and experiences. It is always helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Dic95. I did the washer mod and it helped slightly. But I really don't believe that you should spend a lot of money to then change the tool to something that the company maintains is not necessary. Sorry but if the company said don't do it you shouldn't.

RichWentFishing:

Glad the flex went well. Please get Mike Phillips book. My current thinking is that now a third system is developing (rupes, girots being the other two) around Flex. I call it a system since it is advocated by Mike Phillips and Mike at Dedicated Perfection. Basically the system is Flex with 4 inch LC backing plate, all Menzerna compounds polishes (your choice) but fg400 and sf4500 are critical and 5 inch LC Hybrid pads - orange white black. It is an amazing system if you follow Mike aka Smack procedures. Consider this for next car and please post results and experiences. It is always helpful.

It's only a few cents to add the washer mod and it does make the machine more usable. Kevin Brown and Marco D'Inca at Rupes argue about this all the time but the fact is that the washer mod absolutely improves the usability of the machine. The washer mod WITH the lake country HD orbital pads absolutely improve things. The Lake Country HD pads spin a lot more freely even under pressure than the Rupes pads. I initially thought of selling my Rupes 21 when I got my Flex 3401 but I truly feel like both have their place. I'll also continue to use the Rupes when I just am not in the mood for the noise of the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Just used my PINK beast for the 1st time THANKS to Mikes book the learning process was easy. Polished out my Vette and put a coat of Menzerna CL on top.

Post Thanks / Like

KBsToy.

First, thanks for the post but second if you are so inclined we need more. What products, pads backing plate etc did you use. Also how did it feel in terms of vibration, how much time did it take etc. Any special techniques?

Finally pictures please. Would love to see that vette all polished up.

I hate to ask but always interested in finding out how new users did with this incredible tool. I think other forum readers would really appreciate. I know I would, hence my asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear KB. The Pink Flex is for a real man.

I will be picking up a Flex 3401 the next time there is a no exclusions sale. I made the mistake of ordering pads and polish before having the polisher though and had to try them out. I broke out the rotary and the truck looks great. After using the rotary and reading a lot of happy customer reviews, I'm convinced the forced rotation of the flex is what I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    KBsToy.

First, thanks for the post but second if you are so inclined we need more. What products, pads backing plate etc did you use. Also how did it feel in terms of vibration, how much time did it take etc. Any special techniques?

Finally pictures please. Would love to see that vette all polished up.

I hate to ask but always interested in finding out how new users did with this incredible tool. I think other forum readers would really appreciate. I know I would, hence my asking.
    When and if we get a good day here in the burgh I will post some pics. No vibration just different to use then regular DA the forced rotation is awesome. I used Menerza 400 followed up with Menzerna finish glaze then Menerza CL. Being a weekend warrior I would recommend to get Mike`s book using the Flex VERY GOOD info and helped me out with pads and product to use. I used HD orange pad which is a light cutting polishing pad than a finishing pad to apply CL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIsnowman View Post
    Glad to hear KB. The Pink Flex is for a real man.

I will be picking up a Flex 3401 the next time there is a no exclusions sale. I made the mistake of ordering pads and polish before having the polisher though and had to try them out. I broke out the rotary and the truck looks great. After using the rotary and reading a lot of happy customer reviews, I'm convinced the forced rotation of the flex is what I want.
    That`s how I got my PINKIE

The forced rotation is awesome did not take me long in getting used to it as Mike says in his book it`s a beast

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased mine (yeah sale)..are y'all using 5 or 6.5 pads?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats the no exclusion sale all about..nubee here...thanks

Also for the tip Mike`s book using the Flex VERY GOOD

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast