autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My Flex starting smoking on me..

Yesterday I was working on a Ford Fuzion, paint was in bad shape.
    Anyway , as I was working on a panel I saw smoke coming from the Flex, at the same time it quit running so I unplugged it.
    As I was looking for what caused it I saw some of the felt ring, it was visible.
    I then removed the backing plate, sure enough some of the felt ring was damaged, I removed it and flipped it over and added little oil to the ring, just as I did when I first bought it.

I had about two hours left and didn't have any problems.

Question,

Can I order just the felt ring?

I've been working it hard daily since I got it, I know it was just one of those things as the Flex is well built.
    Sure hope it's fine because I have more work today and next week.

After I flipped over the ring I let it sit a while to cool down, I worked with my GG6 for about a half hour, there I saw a big difference between the two, ,y GG6 takes much longer to correct than of my Flex.
    I appreciate my Flex more now since this happened.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Flex starting smoking on me..

No damage to the backing plate? That's what the felt ring is rubbing against. Try powerhousetoolparts or it looks like there is a service center in New Orleans (go to the Flex USA site).

Post Thanks / Like

I feel silicone spray is a much better option.
    I would think the oil would heat up and hold dirt.
    Using silicone spray on sliding vinyl type windows with felt weather strip is the only way to lubricate them. Oil will eventually gum up.

Since there are vague similarities between the Flex mechanics and a window, I opted for silicone spray.

Post Thanks / Like

I have moved away from oil.....found that White Lithium Grease to be a safer product...

Post Thanks / Like

I've never touched my felt rings with anything and haven't seen any issues whatsoever. I wonder if half the problems we see with these machines isn't from people squirting oil where it's really not needed or recommended...??

Who knows?

Has anyone here ever seen a thread where a 3401 failed because the felt ring wasn't oiled?

Just wondering..

Post Thanks / Like

Got my felt ring at Parts for XC3401VRG | Powerhouse Distributing. Since I oil it too (same Mike uses, NAPA), I like to have spare - read consumable.

Mike shows http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-a.html#442817

Post Thanks / Like

Wow sorry to hear the Flex smoking. I usually put WD-40 or some type of oil on the felt part of the Flex. Not much....just a dab around the felt part.

No need for tool oil, WD-40 or equivalent would be fine. I have not encountered any problems by doing this.

Again, my $.02 worth.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this happen way too often. The culprit is a poor size extension cord. Make sure your using at least a 14/3 extension cord, no longer than 25ft. If you must use 50ft or longer, then go up to a 12/3 to be safe. I can tell you that not all 14/3 extension cords are made the same, copper is expensive and many companies have much smaller wires than spec'd. Sometimes the plugs on each ended have been bent back and forth so much that inside wire has been compromised; thus reducing the current capacity of the wire. This will make a power hungry tool heat up real quick.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

What's it's preferred brand, Marlboro or Camel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Has anyone here ever seen a thread where a 3401 failed because the felt ring wasn't oiled?
    Um...yes? I'm pretty sure when the 3401 came out we had a number of instances of people melting the backing plate and making the machine unusable...which is why Mike Phillips has that thread that someone else linked about oiling the felt ring.

EDIT:

Need a little help here. I think my flex BP melted.

Hopefully my Flex issues are over...

Flex issue again

Need Help with Flex BP

My Flex's Backing Plate is Shredding on Me

I'm also pretty sure that at the beginning there was some problem with the bevel gearset not being greased and everybody was taking apart theirs to make sure there was grease in it before it overheated. That being said I think I got mine a little later and I never checked the gears and I don't think I've ever even lubed the felt ring. I'm sure mine doesn't have the hours on it of you guys who use yours every day.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    I've seen this happen way too often. The culprit is a poor size extension cord.
    First of all the OP says the problem was with the felt ring, not the motor. Second, I have never seen an explanation of this extension cord phenomenon that holds up to Ohm's Law. How does putting less power into the machine (by using a high resistance cord) cause the machine to overheat? A bad/small conductor cord may cause the cord to overheat, but not the machine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast