autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Experience with Hybrid Foam Wool Pad?

Recently bought the Flex after many years with the PC. Tried it last weekend with Orange/White Hybrid with F400/SF4000 on my Brilliant Black Audi A4 and I couldn't be happier!

Now, I am looking to do some work on my parents 2006 black Jetta. The car is in pretty bad condition with a lot of swirls and scratches. I am planning to use the Hybrid Blue Foam Wool pad to speed things up with FG400.

Tried searching but not a lot of threads on the hybrid foam wool pad. Anyone have experience with it? Specifically I would like to know what speed I should use it at and what kind of pressure I should put on the machine. I do plan to finish it up with SF4000 on white and then the Wolfgang sealant.

If anyone can share their experience with flex and the hybrid foam wool pad, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experience with Hybrid Foam Wool Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by ekyp View Post
    Recently bought the Flex after many years with the PC. Tried it last weekend with Orange/White Hybrid with F400/SF4000 on my Brilliant Black Audi A4 and I couldn't be happier!

Now, I am looking to do some work on my parents 2006 black Jetta. The car is in pretty bad condition with a lot of swirls and scratches. I am planning to use the Hybrid Blue Foam Wool pad to speed things up with FG400.

Tried searching but not a lot of threads on the hybrid foam wool pad. Anyone have experience with it? Specifically I would like to know what speed I should use it at and what kind of pressure I should put on the machine. I do plan to finish it up with SF4000 on white and then the Wolfgang sealant.

If anyone can share their experience with flex and the hybrid foam wool pad, that would be awesome!

Thanks!
    I have the 4" and 6 1/2" blue and white wool foam pads.

When you try them on the Flex along with Menzerna FG400 you are not going to believe how fast correction takes place. The combination is going to get the job done quickly.

Just be careful not to stay in one place too long or you can go right through the clear coat or on single stage paint through to the primer.

When I first tried them with FG400, I did a test spot on a old junk painted bumper and before I knew what was happening I saw primer.

Just be careful and these pads with FG400 are going to blow you away with how well they work. You are going to get the quickest and best correction you have ever experienced.

Use a white cotton towel or compressed air to clean the pads often.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful... its not always about how fast you could get it done. Its how well you got it done that matters. Use the least aggressive approach to get the job done.

I worked with the LC purple wool pad in the past which is very similar (minus the foam) to the Hybrid wool. I prefer to use a SMAT product like M101 with wool since I could stop at anytime without having the need to work the product until it is broken down.

I reserve this combo exclusively for the really nasty paint.

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

Have you had a look at this write up?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

Please perform a test spot with the orange Hybrid pad/FG400 before you jump into the Hybrid wool pad. You may not need the wool.

If you do, remember wool is very aggressive and will eat away defects at a good clip. Again, Please be careful.

Thanks!
    Wool is often not needed when you have the power of the 3401, Orange pads, and FG400. If you must speed 3-4 is plenty with the same pressure as you would with a foam pad.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this thread..... couldn't have come at a better time.

I too recently upgraded from a traditional free floating spindle DA to the Flex 3401 and have been using my hydrotechs, foamed wool, and ccs pads until my stock of HYBRIDS arrived, which they did mid-detail last weekend so I haven't played with them yet.

I got me some blue foam wool, orange and white (black still on the way) in 5" and 6.5" and the LC Backing Plate system

I tend to work a lot on harder clears and have found quite a few occasions where the Flex and purple wool with FG400 was not enough so I am really eager to see how well the new pads cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Thanks for this thread..... couldn't have come at a better time.

I too recently upgraded from a traditional free floating spindle DA to the Flex 3401 and have been using my hydrotechs, foamed wool, and ccs pads until my stock of HYBRIDS arrived, which they did mid-detail last weekend so I haven't played with them yet.

I got me some blue foam wool, orange and white (black still on the way) in 5" and 6.5" and the LC Backing Plate system

I tend to work a lot on harder clears and have found quite a few occasions where the Flex and purple wool with FG400 was not enough so I am really eager to see how well the new pads cut.
    Yea buddy! Congrats Lawrence!

Cant wait to hear more!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Congrats!

Have you had a look at this write up?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html
    Thanks for all the replies!

Mike, I did read through the guide and that was super helpful, Thanks!! In fact, I followed what you suggested with the Orange/White Hybrid on my 13 A4 and it turned out super awesome (especially on Audi's Brilliant Black paint)! I made sure I take the time to do 6-8 passes to finish everything off nicely. Took a long time, but it was worth it!

With the Jetta, it has a lot of swirls and scratches. From pervious experience with the PC, I find the clear coat on the Jetta to be a lot harder than the Audi. I will definitely try the Orange/FG400 combo first and if needed, I'll jump on the blue hybrid wool pad.

Still pretty pumped on my new purchase! Can't believe I waited this long to get the Flex!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe I waited this long to get the Flex!
    You are not the first to say this, you won't be the last! [Myself a recent convert ]
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Yea buddy! Congrats Lawrence!

Cant wait to hear more!
    So today I started working on a Candy White VW Polo that has been subjected to some real abuse. The hood went from OEM paint, to a poorly repainted and even more badly finished spray job with black 2K paint. Then I corrected it. Then he had the black redone. And I corrected it, again. Now it is white again, and I spent some of today correcting it. The finish was the worst I have seen it.

Just a mess of swirls, buffer trails and sanding marks.

Test spots went: (Flex 3401 / Hybrid pads)

SF4000 / White
    PF2300 / White
    PF2300 / Orange
    FG400 / Orange

At this point I was already in love with the pads - they are truly a match made in heaven. Anyway.... all cut/finished better than any pad combo I had previously tried.

Then I switch to my old LC purple foamed wool with FG400

It still wasn't correcting the paint to an acceptable level - BTW PTG readings were all 400µ +

So then I broke out the BLUE HYBRID WOOL.

WOWzers....

The combo ate the sanding marks for lunch. I would really caution people to make sure they really need the cut, and then show it some respect, especially around raised body lines, edges etc etc.

I followed with SF4000/White to clean up any hazing, which worked a charm.

My initial impression, of the hybrids in general, but the BLUE HYBRID WOOL in particular, is that they are worthy of the hype....

And then just for laughs, I had been chucking all the pads in the gamma seal bucket with Snappy Pad Cleaner.... and the Blue Wool shed itself over all the pads..... spent the last 45 minutes removing blue wool from around 12 pad.... Wash your pads before first use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    So today I started working on a Candy White VW Polo that has been subjected to some real abuse.

Test spots went: (Flex 3401 / Hybrid pads)

SF4000 / White
    PF2300 / White
    PF2300 / Orange
    FG400 / Orange

At this point I was already in love with the pads - they are truly a match made in heaven. Anyway.... all cut/finished better than any pad combo I had previously tried.

Then I switch to my old LC purple foamed wool with FG400

It still wasn't correcting the paint to an acceptable level - BTW PTG readings were all 400µ +

So then I broke out the BLUE HYBRID WOOL.

WOWzers....

The combo ate the sanding marks for lunch. I would really caution people to make sure they really need the cut, and then show it some respect, especially around raised body lines, edges etc etc.

I followed with SF4000/White to clean up any hazing, which worked a charm.

My initial impression, of the hybrids in general, but the BLUE HYBRID WOOL in particular, is that they are worthy of the hype....
    Outstanding Lawrence! Glad to hear your love them.

They truly are the only pad to run on the Flex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast