autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New flex owner and new to detailing - Need a little help please :)

Hello all ,

First post here as I just purchased a flex 3401 polisher (gifted for my birthday next week from my parents). I have my pads on order from autogeek to get them shipped to Dubai (still not processed from some reason :s). Anywho, I have read this forum extensively for the past few months before deciding on the flex, changeable backing plate system, and hybrid pads.

A little background:

I live in Dubai where detailing DIY is near non-existent so the only products I am able to source locally are the consumer line from Meguiars (at a hefty premium). I purchased their Drill mounted dual action power system which didn't really yield any results hence the decision to buy the flex. Now, things are expensive in Dubai so I just went all out and got the flex once and for all.

Current product list:
    Meguiars Ultimate compound
    Meguiars Swirlx
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish
    Meguiars NXT 2.0 sealant
    Flex 3401
    3 Meguiars supreme shine microfibre towels (purchased for $52!!!)
    10-15 bulk pack microfibre towels
    Meguiars Dual Action Power system (drill mounted tool)
    - 4 yellow and 4 burgundy pads

On order:
    3 orange 6.5" hybrids
    3 white 6.5" hybrids
    3 orange 5" hybrids
    3 white 5" hybrids
    LC changeable backing plate system

Now onto questions:

1. Would this range of pads be enough? Shipping to Dubai comes to about $100 for just the pads....so ordering won't be happening again for a while.

2. Will the products I have from Meguiars work well with the flex and hybrid setup?

3. I have read extensively about cleaning pads on the fly or with pad washers, APC, super degreasers and so on...
    Point to note: None of this is available here!! (except on the fly).

Once I have polished and used a pad enough, how do I properly clean my pads for usage next time, taking into account none of these fancy methods and cleaners are available here (only megs consumer line remember). I've never even heard of half the stuff mentioned on the forum let alone seen them. I used to hand wash my Meguiars pads with laundry detergent in a bucket and air dry...

Another point to note: Our garages here are not completely closed. We have the main garage door but once inside, most of the garage opens up into the property. Just thought i'd mention it if it matters

These are my main questions for now and I'm sure ill be back with some once the pads actually arrive or ship for that matter (ordered 5 days ago now...)

Thank you all
    - Mukul

Now onto the car that I will detail first when I receive the pads - My pride and joy, A 2014 VW Golf Gti mk7 (open garage visible)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New flex owner and new to detailing - Need a little help please :)-img_5575-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New flex owner and new to detailing - Need a little help please :)

Hi and you are off to a great start!! Beautiful Golf too! There is a very simple way of cleaning the pads and I would rather PM you then post it here as many here will have different suggestions or might think I am full of it. It is extremely low cost and it comes from a simple product.

I have been doing that for the last couple of years and have no issues at all.

The only thing I see missing in your arsenal is the Black Hybrid Pads. As for 3 Pads each it is enough if it is just for your car and families. No need to spend so much money on shipping etc.

One thing I highly recommend is get Mike Phillips book on how to use the Flex Polisher. This will help you tremendously.

But as I said before you are off to a great start!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

You probably don't need 6 orange pads since your car is a 2014, unless of course it is trashed. Instead of the 6 orange you could have probably used a few blue hybrids and a few black.
    There is a good chance you would only need to go white pad/ultimate polish for your defects depending on how bad your paint is.

I use laundry detergent to hand wash my pads and a soft angled kitchen brush to clean my pads on the fly

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek. You could use dish soap to wash your pads. Make sure you rinse well while kneading the pads to remove the soap. Afterwards, place your foam buffing pads foam side down, some place where they will stay clean where air can circulate around them and moisture can evaporate out of them.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    Welcome to Autogeek. You could use dish soap to wash your pads. Make sure you rinse well while kneading the pads to remove the soap. Afterwards, place your foam buffing pads foam side down, some place where they will stay clean where air can circulate around them and moisture can evaporate out of them.
    BINGO!!! Better yet soak the pads in HOT water with dishwashing soap for about 10 minutes in a bucket. Then do what AZ Mike does...he is right make sure you rinse very well.

FINALLY!! I guess I am not that much of an idiot after all. FUNX725 (Bob) you cannot chime in on this one!!....LOL

I have been cleaning my pads this way for almost 1 1/2 to 2 years to much success!!

Way cool AZ Mike!! Thanks for the save!!

BTW, dishwashing soap is made to break down grease and oils. In fact, Zaino Bro's mentions to use liquid Dawn to strip the car of grease and dirt and prep for claying. Same concept here with the Pads soaking in a bucket. Hot water is the key with liquid detergent.

CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies

I will not only be working on my car, once I get the hang of everything I will work on the family cars and might even offer to detail friends cars.

My car is now 1 year and 5 months old and only has the most minor swirls as I have been taking care of it since day one and I do not let anyone else but myself to wash the car. The same cannot be said for other cars in the house :P

For my Gti I will use UP/White but for the others that are heavily swirled with water spots I will try UC/white first and then maybe move up to orange if needed.

So i'm guessing the megs trio that I have are decent products to maintain daily drivers with the flex/hybrid combo? I'm not looking for a show car finish and the harsh heat/sand of Dubai will have them swirled in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Hi and you are off to a great start!! Beautiful Golf too! There is a very simple way of cleaning the pads and I would rather PM you then post it here as many here will have different suggestions or might think I am full of it. It is extremely low cost and it comes from a simple product.

I have been doing that for the last couple of years and have no issues at all.

The only thing I see missing in your arsenal is the Black Hybrid Pads. As for 3 Pads each it is enough if it is just for your car and families. No need to spend so much money on shipping etc.

One thing I highly recommend is get Mike Phillips book on how to use the Flex Polisher. This will help you tremendously.

But as I said before you are off to a great start!!
    Thank you, she is beautiful haha.
    I didn't get the black pads as I prefer waxing by hand but maybe down the line I might. Time isn't of the essence for me

I actually had the book in my cart but before checking out I thought to myself, I am not going to pay $100 for shipping again so instead I decided to add 2 more pads and take out the book. I just hope an e-book comes out and that I will definitely buy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, just another quick question. I've been looking at the changeable backing plate system from LC and I have ordered it. I've seen posts about the shims and the problems with the 6" that were rectified and detailed instructions on how to install. However, I have not seen any instructions about assembling the 4" plate. From what I understand:

Step 1: Remove the stock BP, washer and bolt and set aside.
    Step 2: Take the 4" plate, gear SUPPLIED bolt and washer and assemble.

Is this correct? So for the 4" plate I use the supplied bolt and washer and not the stock one.

Another thing, Do you lubricate the felt ring everytime you change the BP? I plan on using both the stock and the 4" plate when doing any car, as in everytime. So would I lubricate it each time because that sounds like overkill!
    Also I have found only 1 type of oil in Dubai which is 3in1 Long Lasting Multi purpose Oil. On the little bottle it says Since 1894. I looked all over and could not find Air Tool Oil as was recommended. Would this oil be okay?

Thank you once again

Post Thanks / Like

That car is beautiful! 3in1 should be fine for the felt ring, air tool oil is a little thinner is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That car is beautiful! 3in1 should be fine for the felt ring, air tool oil is a little thinner is all.
    Thank you

Any idea about the LC plates and the oiling intervals?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast