autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st day with my Flex 3401

I just bought the Flex 3401 this week and I have not yet purchased any pads. It seems like many people have their pad of choice but this makes my decision even more blurred.
    I plan on using the stock backing plate and using M105 & M205 with my flex. Can anyone point me in the direction and size of pads for me to start with? Also, should I purchase the Lake Country Backing plate system or am I ok with the stock backer?
    Thanks for all your input in advance! I've been lurking around the forums for a while, trying to educate myself as much as possible. All you guys rock!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1USMC View Post

I can't wait to take your classes when I get back to the states Mike - you've truly been an inspiration to me and following your sage advice I've been able to take my business to the next level.

Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nova5757 View Post

I just bought the Flex 3401 this week and I have not yet purchased any pads. It seems like many people have their pad of choice but this makes my decision even more blurred.

I plan on using the stock backing plate and using M105 & M205 with my flex.

The pads are the least important of all factors. The most important is the abrasive technology. M105 and M205 are good products, I would opt for M101 and M205 if I were to use a Meguiar's compound and polish. M205 likes harder paints better than softer paints so always do a test spot using the M205 after the M105 before buffing out an entire car and make sure you don't see any micro-marring.

As for pads, in my opinion and experience, you can tackle just about anything using the Orange, White and Black Lake Country Hybrid Pads. I have this as a recommendation in my Flex How-To book.

For buffing thinner panels, that is for example buffing the paint between an edge and a raised body line so you're not buffing ON TOP of the edge or the raised body line, the 5" Hybrid pads in the same colors are great. You need to buy the Lake Country Backing Plate Adapter Kit to get the 4" backing plate.

The above is also a strong recommendation in my Flex How To Book.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
    Y'all running 6.5 Hybrids or 5inch?

I have the 4 3/8 BP, trying to pick
    I like to utilize all of the above... 6.5" on very large panels (quarter panels, hoods, etc.), then 5.5" and below depending on the size and contour of the panel. 5.5" seems to be the sweet spot for me, I really have to focus on technique when I go smaller or larger--just something I've observed as I continue to get time under this awesome polisher. Honestly the Flex is so capable, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the multiple backing plate package and the various LC Hybrid pad sizes. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

Can not believe I ran so long without a Flex.

The ability to work such a large area, shortens polishing time by at least 40%.

Took a little getting used to as it will walk on you if you let it.

Worked on my buddies 1974 BMW 2002 just repainted in Mercedes Deisgno Platinum Black Metallic

White pad with Uber 3.0 finished out perfect with only 3 section passes.

It could just be the picture, but given the hazy corona effect around the light source on the after picture, I'd say a quality finish polish could get you a better end result.

Uber compound is awesome stuff and does finish out magnificently. I use it myself. But there is more to be had there, methinks.

If the owner's happy though, good enough.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Thank you very much for your response. I will be ordering the backing plate kit and the appropriate pads. As far as my polish choices...
    it seems like you maybe have a different choice on mind other than just the M101. I have 2 new bottles of M105 and M205 but am definitely willing to try different products. I have been reading into the Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 and they seem to be great products. Both of my vehicles are new Chrysler products / Bright White color. Not sure if Chrysler is considered a soft or hard Clear Coat? Any more input for my novice status is welcomed!

Mike Phillips

Mike, Thank you very much for your response. I will be ordering the backing plate kit and the appropriate pads.

The 5" pads on the Flex 3401 really make this an all-in-one tool.

In a perfect world, especially if you detail for money you simply get two Flex 3401 polishers and have one for 6.5" pads and one already set-up for 5" pads and then you can really fly around a car.

As far as my polish choices...
    it seems like you maybe have a different choice on mind other than just the M101. I have 2 new bottles of M105 and M205 but am definitely willing to try different products.

I have been reading into the Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 and they seem to be great products.

Menzerna and Meguiar's have both been in this business as long and in most cases longer than anyone else with quality abrasive technology.

There's nothing Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 can't tackle. M205 uses SMAT for abrasive technology while Menzerna SF4000 is diminishing abrasive technology or DAT and from what I've seen in my life while I like SMAT and it works great, what I've seen on a multitude of cars is that DAT will finish out nicer more consistently over the WIDEST spectrum of paint systems where as SMAT tends to like harder paints more than softer paints. Any issues can be overcome with more and better technique of if you don't want to be come the worlds expert on technique take the easier route using more bubba-proof products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    It could just be the picture, but given the hazy corona effect around the light source on the after picture, I'd say a quality finish polish could get you a better end result.

Uber compound is awesome stuff and does finish out magnificently. I use it myself. But there is more to be had there, methinks.

If the owner's happy though, good enough.

Thats just the picture, and I am wearing a headlamp that has widely spaces LED's (about 40).

Using 1 LED, and in the sun it was perfectly finished.
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

Post Thanks / Like

Thats just the picture, and I am wearing a headlamp that has widely spaces LED's (about 40).

Using 1 LED, and in the sun it was perfectly finished.
    Awesome.

If he's happy, and you're happy, I'm happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw "1974 BMW 2002" and my heart practically skipped a beat anticipating drool-worthy photos. Where are they???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    I saw "1974 BMW 2002" and my heart practically skipped a beat anticipating drool-worthy photos. Where are they???

Haha and its a tii with fender flares etc.

Will get more pics
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345