autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st day with my Flex 3401

I believe it is said that the Flex 3401 rotates in the opposite direction from other DAs. And some have commented.

How was the adjustment of opposite rotation for you getting used to? Is it something that after a few minute's time with the machine you no longer really think about it-notice it?
    Thanks, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I believe it is said that the Flex 3401 rotates in the opposite direction from other DAs. And some have commented.

How was the adjustment of opposite rotation for you getting used to? Is it something that after a few minute's time with the machine you no longer really think about it-notice it?
    Thanks, Mark
    Mark its a very easy adjustment to get used to. The first few minutes you run the polisher are the only "weird" moments then you never think about it.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Mark its a very easy adjustment to get used to. The first few minutes you run the polisher are the only "weird" moments then you never think about it.

I used a 3401 for the first time over the weekend and the biggest adjustment for me was making sure I had the polisher flat on the surface. It will try to walk if you don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought every single Rupes polisher and every single non-forced DA. Sold all of them except my 2 Flex 3401's and Harbor Freight DA. The new Meg's foam discs are my go to with both of these machines. For heavy correction, I use the CarPro Flash Pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I love my flex. It walked a little but it did not take me long to learn how to hold it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    I've bought every single Rupes polisher and every single non-forced DA. Sold all of them except my 2 Flex 3401's and Harbor Freight DA. The new Meg's foam discs are my go to with both of these machines. For heavy correction, I use the CarPro Flash Pads.
    Hi, what were the reasons that maid you stick with the flex instead of the rupes? I read comments that the rupes is more comfortable, so by the end of the day, you are not as tired as if you had worked with the flex. Thks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMCY View Post
    Hi, what were the reasons that maid you stick with the flex instead of the rupes? I read comments that the rupes is more comfortable, so by the end of the day, you are not as tired as if you had worked with the flex. Thks
    Yes, the Rupes polishers are definitely easier to handle; less fatigue. However, due to the non-forced rotation, the backing plate will tend to stall or stop on non flat surfaces. You can semi-manipulate the pad with good technique, but it still will slow down or stop on some curvatures. With the 3401's forced rotation, the pad will NEVER stop rotating, no matter what the shape of the panel is. However, it is definitely harder to control. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've learned to appreciate the forced rotation of the 3401.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    Yes, the Rupes polishers are definitely easier to handle; less fatigue. However, due to the non-forced rotation, the backing plate will tend to stall or stop on non flat surfaces. You can semi-manipulate the pad with good technique, but it still will slow down or stop on some curvatures. With the 3401's forced rotation, the pad will NEVER stop rotating, no matter what the shape of the panel is. However, it is definitely harder to control. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've learned to appreciate the forced rotation of the 3401.
    Thanks for the feedback. Another one. Comfort aside. Using a similar setup, forced rotation continuous spinning gets the job done faster than the larger throw somewhat stalling Backing plate of the rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. Another one. Comfort aside. Using a similar setup, forced rotation continuous spinning gets the job done faster than the larger throw somewhat stalling Backing plate of the rupes?
    If you take two FLAT panels on the same car, use the same pad & polish, the Rupes LHR21 will correct faster than the Flex 3401. On anything NON flat, where the backing plate will slow down or stop, the 3401 will be much better.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

IMO The "forced rotation" gets the job done faster as it is constantly correcting as an "orbit within an orbit" like ALL DA's. With a free floating DA (I still use my PC7424 XP) a curved panel or too much pressure will stop the spinning but not the oscillation.

The Flex has an 8MM throw and IMO it is just fine.

I remember it took me almost 23 hours to do a complete correction clay, compound/polish, etc.

With the Flex you can work on the exact same car with the same condition and finish it in less than 1/2 the time maybe 4-10 hours depending on the type of condition.

As for comfort or "walking" IMO the Lake Country Hybrid Pads SIGNIFICANTLY reduce both. Mike Phillips mentions them in his book and I tried them and now all Hybrid for the Flex.

These pads help in terms of comfort (reduced vibration because of being flat), will help reduce "walking" and the way the pads are designed will help correct faster.

Once you get a Flex or try the Flex 3401 you will deem all other DA's not as powerful.

Again, my opinion and others may disagree....so be it.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast