autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 Inch backing plate

Quote Originally Posted by Axrow View Post
    Yes, that is the one I purchased and its 4 3/8. I don't have linkedin. Anyone have any contacts over there? A manager is supposed to call me back, juding from the guys attitude I doubt he'll even tell his manager.
    I have called and emailed CG in the past and did not receive any response

I have visited their brick & mortar location in Gardena. The staff working there was very attractive, but knew little about Detailing

Good luck with your return. It seems pretty straight forward that the item is described in their website as 4" and it is not

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact info for CG

Contact Us:
    Need to get a hold of us? You can contact us through the following methods:

Office Hours:
    Monday – Friday, 7:00 am to 5:30 pm PT

Phone:
    866-822-3670
    310-674-8135
    310-678-2838

Email:
    · Order Issues and Inquiries orders@chemicalguys.com
    · Product & Technical Questions customerservice@chemicalguys.com
    · Wholesale Accounts & Inquiries wholesale@chemicalguys.com
    · Private Labeling
    privatelabel@chemicalguys.com
    · Training & University Classes info@smartdetailinguniversity.com

Post Thanks / Like

they dont sell a 4" on its own for the Flex, you have to get the LC backing plate system. it doesnt surprise me of CG rudeness. they are known for being difficult if you have something to say about them or there products if its bad. i suggest you get this

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axrow View Post
    Hello, I bought what was advertised as a 4 inch backing plate from chemical guys. I received a 4 3/8 inch backing plate, which I already owned. I called chemical guys and they argued with me that there is no such thing as a 4 inch backing plate and they said it was "close enough." They then offered to let me return it as long as I paid the shipping and a restocking fee. Is there such a thing as a 4 inch backing plate? I ordered almost 200 dollars worth of 5 inch LC hybrid pads because I heard they fit perfectly on the 4 inch backing plate and my 4 3/8 is chewing them up.

Also does anyone have a contact at chemical guys I could discuss this with? The guy on the phone was like talking to a wall.
    all the more reason to not support them or buy any of their products. their customer service is lacking and that's if you're lucky to even get a hold of someone. i'm not going to put money into someone's pocket if they don't support their products. so many great vendors/car care companies to buy from these days with good/honest people behind them as well which is equally important as the products themselves...

Post Thanks / Like

If you need to order the LC system your cheapest option is at the Wolfgang sister site which still has a Cyber Monday deal going. I just ordered it last night.

http://wolfgangcarcare.com/flex-xc34...ing-plate.html
    Jeremy Lockhart | Newport Beach, CA | Orange County Web Development | CrossFit Words

Post Thanks / Like

OP any updates?
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where all my info has come from, but when I purchased the LC 4" backing plate it read that it was self centering on the 5" LC Hybrids which is the go to pad system of the 3401. When I got the backing plate the plate itself is slightly larger than the hook and loop backing of the pads. Not sure how thats self centering, but I just eyeball it and go to town.

The plate is a 4 3/8 I am sure. However the h&l is 4". There is no 4" that I know of, LC has the only system for the Flex. So I think there is some discrepancy somewhere with information, but the system works just fine, you just need to be careful with the soft non cutting pads, as they compress very easily, and you could tap the edge of the plate if not careful, or hit it on something. Just be careful and enjoy the plate you have. NOT worth the aggrevation in the end. There is no other choice that I am aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post
    Not sure where all my info has come from, but when I purchased the LC 4" backing plate it read that it was self centering on the 5" LC Hybrids which is the go to pad system of the 3401. When I got the backing plate the plate itself is slightly larger than the hook and loop backing of the pads. Not sure how thats self centering, but I just eyeball it and go to town.

The plate is a 4 3/8 I am sure. However the h&l is 4". There is no 4" that I know of, LC has the only system for the Flex. So I think there is some discrepancy somewhere with information, but the system works just fine, you just need to be careful with the soft non cutting pads, as they compress very easily, and you could tap the edge of the plate if not careful, or hit it on something. Just be careful and enjoy the plate you have. NOT worth the aggrevation in the end. There is no other choice that I am aware of.
    This is what confused me slightly. I didn't need all three plates on this page - FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System but the description says 4" plate is the one included out of the three of them. BUT....... when you purchase the plates separately the only one listed is the 4 3/8" one. When I made my purchase I wondered why they would make two different ones so close in size, and figured it was a mistake. So I got it and yes its the 4 3/8" one. Honestly I think I might make the 50$ purchase just to get the stupid 4" one so it will match up to the pads. Hate to do it but right is right.

Glad I could answer my own question, and yes the OP should just make CG honor their add or completely refund. At the same time get the correct one from AG. He can also just dispute the purchase on his CC as item came and was not as described. Then CG will take care of him for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

4 Inch backing plate

My favorite pads for the Flex are definitively the five inch hybrids.

My least favorite plate is the changeable four inch from Lake Country. You are obligated to get a big plate together to be allowed to use the smaller. The kit is very expensive.

Many say never had any problems with it, but mine broke. Ok, warranty replaced it, but the new one started showing premature fine cracks after few months of use leaving me to believe it will fail someday soon

Conclusion, I've glued the broken one and reinforced the center with epoxy. Worked like a charm.

Did the same with my 'to be cracked' plate and now I have two glued four inch no-changeable plates (better safe than sorry). The bigger one, useless at first, now is definitively useless since my bases are glued to the four inch plate.

My best will it's either :

A) Flex make a 4" plate in original shape, like the 4 3/8", but 4". Much more solid and looks like will never brake.

B) Lake Country make a four inch plate independent of this 'system'.

C) (and my most waited) 5 3/8" hybrid pads, to match the actual 4 3/8" plate. This would be the sweet spot for hybrids. Not too small like the five inch, not too bulky like the six and half inch. Like I said, an all around pad, the sweet spot.

My .02$, sure.

Best wishes, and good luck with customer service.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12