autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flex vs Rupes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex vs Rupes

I need an advise, I am in the market for a new Buffer, I curently have de meguiar's V110. I am debating between the Flex 3401 or the Rupes 21. I need to do some heavy paint correction sometimes with a lot of swirls. Witch one will be the best buy?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex vs Rupes

You are going to have a lot of opinions. This is like Ford vs. Chevy. For me HANDS DOWN the Flex. It is the only forced rotational DA. Every other DA (including Rupes) is a free float DA. IE on curved panels it will stop rotating. It also appears that there are more quality issues with the Rupes. Have to do a washer Mod, can't buy normal foam pads as they will tear, you have to stick with the right backing plate or there will be issues, and it costs more than a Flex.

A Flex will correct quicker than any DA (Rupes included) as the forced rotation is almost as powerful as a rotary but not the hologram affect a rotary does.

Get all the different size backing plates and you can use 4" Pad to 7.5" Pads.

Now again, you will have people that will COMEPLETELY disagree with me but that is me.

So the Rupes guys...bash away and love the "friendly jabs"...LOL

Remember this is a Ford vs Chevy thread!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Plus 1
    I always reach for my flex even though I own the rupes 21 and 15. It gets the job done every time. With the rupes, you'll be at a disadvantage because it's not a direct drive.
    I can polish a whole car with my flex; I can't say the same for the rupes. When I use the rupes, I will usually have to just go back to my flex anyways for curved panels.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes will give you a smooth buffing experience but if you were to choose one, I would go with the Flex for the reasons stated above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    You are going to have a lot of opinions. This is like Ford vs. Chevy. For me HANDS DOWN the Flex. It is the only forced rotational DA. Every other DA (including Rupes) is a free float DA. IE on curved panels it will stop rotating. It also appears that there are more quality issues with the Rupes. Have to do a washer Mod, can't buy normal foam pads as they will tear, you have to stick with the right backing plate or there will be issues, and it costs more than a Flex.

A Flex will correct quicker than any DA (Rupes included) as the forced rotation is almost as powerful as a rotary but not the hologram affect a rotary does.

Get all the different size backing plates and you can use 4" Pad to 7.5" Pads.

Now again, you will have people that will COMEPLETELY disagree with me but that is me.

So the Rupes guys...bash away and love the "friendly jabs"...LOL

Remember this is a Ford vs Chevy thread!!
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Plus 1
    I always reach for my flex even though I own the rupes 21 and 15. It gets the job done every time. With the rupes, you'll be at a disadvantage because it's not a direct drive.
    I can polish a whole car with my flex; I can't say the same for the rupes. When I use the rupes, I will usually have to just go back to my flex anyways for curved panels.
    Completely agree again.

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't own the Rupes, I read and researched and read again. I procrastinated, I talked to people... and I bought the Flex. I'm very happy with my choice. I came from the Porter Cable, and it's a whole new world going to this machine. Much faster correction, able to busy through bad swirl in half the time and fatigue, and generally getting better results. I'm not at all sorry for the choice I made, but it was not an easy choice. I still may buy a Rupes 21 at some point just to have and play with, but really I think that I should try a rotary next.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the flex....especially for heavy correction work.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait to see what's released tomorrow at SEMA
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

my rupes 21 can handle anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    Wait to see what's released tomorrow at SEMA
    +1

I've got the Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and washer mod and love it, but I've never tried the Flex, so can't make a valid comparison. The Flex will probably be the next polisher I buy, but want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything released tomorrow at SEMA. And with already having a very good polisher in the Rupes, it's not a pressing need right now.

Do a lot of research, but my guy tells me that you'll find more on here that recommend the Flex over the Rupes. Either way, happy polishing!!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast