autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best pads for my 3401?

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    So, let's say that I'm about to -- hypothetically -- pick up a 3401, LC Interchangeable BP System and a set of Hybrids. There seems to be some overlap in the abilities of the colors in the set. Would it be a safe bet to get a couple or three in each size of just Orange and White and maybe just one five inch Black?
    The orange white black route is the one i went with. It may just be me, but i would think you could vary the amount of cut or polish with the pressure and # of passes than the slight difference in the foam structure of one color pad to another.

I took the advice about hybrid pad from both Mikes and have never looked back. They are by far the best. I use the CCS pads that i bought with my Flex package on peoples hacked vehicles to keep my hybrids pristine. (yea i'm snarky like that about it now)

I bought the hybrid 5" pads thinking the small OEM flex plate would work with them but the changeable LC is needed like Mike said before. Maybe something coming out soon will be able to use them OEM insead of the changeable system........ Something made of Flex, but, far, more.........precious.
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I know it'll be more than a week before I pull any triggers so I can wait and see what "it" turns out to be!

ETA: it'll be closer to Black Friday, if there's another big "no exceptions" dealio.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    So, let's say that I'm about to -- hypothetically -- pick up a 3401, LC Interchangeable BP System and a set of Hybrids. There seems to be some overlap in the abilities of the colors in the set. Would it be a safe bet to get a couple or three in each size of just Orange and White and maybe just one five inch Black?

I think when people ask for pad recommendations that it would help to know what condition their car is in and future projects. I plan on doing a lot of cars that were never cleaned/washed properly so I might be a little heavy on the cutting pads. I have also found that they load with with spent product more so I use one more to do a car. The heavy cutters seem like a thicker solution - which makes sense.

Admittedly with machine application of glaze I must use too much. I used a black CCS once and has over a 1/4 cup of Wolfgangs 3.0 left in the pad. Currently I apply sealants by hand and will probably not go back to machine. But my point is if you only looking to buy a minimal number of pads I''d go with whatever is recommended for your product. That is assuming you getting two polishes then you get six pads - 3 for each step which should be good.

I use Menzerna FG-400 and SF-4000. I'm very impressed with Menzerna. I used a wool pad and FG-400 and in one pass I thought that from there I saw really no improvement. And this was on white paint which I'm told is the hardest. So I bought some SI-1500 because I'm thinking the (at least for ave swirls) the FG-400 is too aggressive.

Make sure that you check these out:
    What backing plate and pads size for flex 3401
    Pads & Backing Plate for Flex 3403?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post

Admittedly with machine application of glaze I must use too much. I used a black CCS once and has over a 1/4 cup of Wolfgangs 3.0 left in the pad. Currently I apply sealants by hand and will probably not go back to machine.
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a light polish, not a true "glaze"

1/4 cup is about 60ml. That is a lot of product for one car, much less having that much left in the pad when you finish. I prime lightly and then 3 small peas of product per section. Cleaning on the fly between sections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a light polish, not a true "glaze"

1/4 cup is about 60ml. That is a lot of product for one car, much less having that much left in the pad when you finish. I prime lightly and then 3 small peas of product per section. Cleaning on the fly between sections.
    Sorry, I should of said:

Admittedly with machine application of sealant I must use too much.

Again my main point was if he only wants 6 pads and is using a two step polishing routine, I'd go with 3x2 and put the sealant on by hand.

As for polishes I prime and use the 2/3 - 3/4 circle method.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a general question. Do you have to use the LC backing plate or could you use the factory flex plates. I planning on using some LC pads and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I have a general question. Do you have to use the LC backing plate or could you use the factory flex plates. I planning on using some LC pads and others.
    What backing plate and pads size for flex 3401

See the 4th post.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    Sorry, I should of said:

Admittedly with machine application of sealant I must use too much.

Again my main point was if he only wants 6 pads and is using a two step polishing routine, I'd go with 3x2 and put the sealant on by hand.

As for polishes I prime and use the 2/3 - 3/4 circle method.
    Are you confusing Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

The former is an abrasive polish the latter is a paint sealant with no abrasives

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Definitely, without a doubt, get the hybrid pads for the Flex. Buy them now, thank everyone later. Don't even bother with any other pad, they are that good.

The Wolfgang site has them on sale right now, plus 20% off and free shipping over $50.
    Thanks for that heads up. I just bought a few pads from the new Wolfgang site. Great deal!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Are you confusing Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

The former is an abrasive polish the latter is a paint sealant with no abrasives
    Not really. I just misspoke.

My point is given the premise of only ordering six pads I think that it best to have two sets of three pads. As long as the product is matched with the proper pad, it will finish LSP ready.

Regardless of my over applying product (Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0) on the pad, I don't feel that affected time spent for that step. I've always put sealant on by hand. Personal preference I know, but a machine just seems like over kill.

So in the grand scheme of things I just feel that given the two choices - have two sets of three vs. having a pad to only put on sealant, that I go with the 2x3 choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast