autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Addition to Polisher Arsenal - Pray to save my old 3401!

Well, I've finally found an excuse to order this machine!

My actual Flex 3401 'Signed by Mike Phillips' died in the middle of a work from unrecognized cause this weekend.

In fact, it started presenting problems 6 months after purchase. At first, I've detected a problem in the wire and switched the cord, that solved the issue. After few weeks, it stopped working again.

That time I've switched the carbon Brushes, and it came back to life! A week later (2 days ago), it stopped again and now I'm thinking about a 'trigger related' issue. I don't know, need to repair. But now I will not (can't as well!) try to solve by my own, I need professional assistance.

Just sad it's a Flex Tool and didn't last 1 year without presenting incapacitant defects. Those problems occurring in the middle of a work is not what you expect from such.

However, I have an extensive detailing schedule to accomplish the following weeks / months. Being without the Flex 3401 would be 'suicide' to my business.

Knowing that looking for warranty and/or proper repair would take a lot of time, I've started moving sticks pretty fast here, and pulled the trigger on a spare 3401 unit!

It costed $1000 locally, but since this polisher is the basis of my work, it worth it's weight in gold.

The new Flex I've ordered is 230V, so it differs a bit from my 'old one' in the looks, it has red details. Beautiful!

Luckily my brother was able to rush and get the product in person - he sent this picture to me:

When it arrived, from left to right: the New 3401, the Signed 3401 and the Rupes 21. It looks like already part of the family!

My best will is to repair my Signed 3401 soon as possible and benefit of owning 2 of them already paired with different backing plate sizes to get the job done. You can never have too many!

I really miss the 'Roar' of my Signed 3401, I sincerely wish some prays to help me solving this issue as soon as possible.

Do you have any suggestion for repair?

Thank you very much in advance for support,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Addition to Polisher Arsenal - Pray to save my old 3401!

No suggestions here, just wanted to let you know how jealous I am of all your machines!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!, you can blame Mike Phillips,

Credits: Picture from this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Since I saw this picture it sticked to my head... Having 6.5" and 5" hybrids ready to rock must be gorgeous. Just need to find a way to put Signed Flex back to work...

Thanks for support,

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    The new Flex I've ordered is 230V, so it differs a bit from my 'old one' in the looks, it has red details. Beautiful!
    That hyper-red is HAWT! Congrats on the new addition!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corey@OptimalDetailing View Post
    Just wanted to let you know how jealous I am of all your machines!

Congrats Rafael! Jealous here as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I'll update if I manage to fix my Signed Flex!

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Mike Phillips

Sorry to hear your Flex 3401 is down at the time. Bob Eichelberg is my VIP guest this weekend at my Detailing Boot Camp Class and I'll talk to him about this and even show him this thread and see what can be done.

I agree with you on the workhorse comment... I punish these tools all the time and knock on wood they just keep taking the beating I give them...

Last weekend I buffed out both a Nova and a Chrysler and for the major correction step I used the LC Orange Hybrid pads on the 6.0 speed setting for both cars to remove all the swirls and scratches and the tool worked flawlessly.

This weekend I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II coming in that has paint just as bad if not worse than the recent Alfa Romeo project and I've dedicated this car as the training car for my class when we use the Flex 3401.

The car should arrive on Friday and I'll be sure to take good before and after pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Rafael,

The signed one is a regular 110 volt?? We're you using a converter with it? Just wondering why so many failures in such a short period.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear bud! Hope you can get her back to doing what she does best and that's removing swirls! At least you have a spare for the time being.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sorry to hear your Flex 3401 is down at the time. Bob Eichelberg is my VIP guest this weekend at my Detailing Boot Camp Class and I'll talk to him about this and even show him this thread and see what can be done.

I agree with you on the workhorse comment... I punish these tools all the time and knock on wood they just keep taking the beating I give them...

Last weekend I buffed out both a Nova and a Chrysler and for the major correction step I used the LC Orange Hybrid pads on the 6.0 speed setting for both cars to remove all the swirls and scratches and the tool worked flawlessly.

This weekend I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II coming in that has paint just as bad if not worse than the recent Alfa Romeo project and I've dedicated this car as the training car for my class when we use the Flex 3401.

The car should arrive on Friday and I'll be sure to take good before and after pictures.

Wow, knowing how much I love my Signed 3401 I was really touched by your comment. Thanks a lot for support. I'll be looking forward to watch your recent work release.

Although I had void warranty for ordering the tool from outside the USA, I was not worried at all because those tools are made to last. Small fixes like switching the wire or carbon brushes can be made locally, so that's not to be an issue.

Proof of my belief in Flex tools is up above in the pictures, I've rushed to get another one immediately after mine stopped. They are this good.

If I'm not able to repair my Signed Flex, be sure I'll switch the actual signed case to maintain the Signature on the new one!

Having already ordered a new one, I can ship my actual Signed Flex worldwide for specialized analysis and repair, if needed.

I just want to put it back in good shape, like the good 'old days!'.

Thanks you so much everyone helping me handle with this situation,

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast