autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help an old school guy out

Just thought I'd check in and let everyone know what I wound up doing. Like chevelless414 above, I made up my own kit following Mike's recommendation above (also used his technique). I bought three each of the orange, white and black pads, but think I could've gotten by with 3 orange, 2 white and 2 black. I also bought some BlackFire Wet Diamond sealer. I've done three cars now, two easy DDs and one heavy resto. The Flex is absolutely great for medium to light work and far better than my old rotary polishers. It makes those final steps so much easier, I wish I'd gotten this tool years ago.

This is my first experience with the BFWD sealer and with the Flex and black pads, it makes applying sealer so quick. I especially like that I can apply the sealer over the whole car and buff the residue off later. No more trying to catch the sealer within a certain window to buff off. Still need to see how it holds up though.

My heavy resto job was a '79 Corvette, garage find, with all original lacquer paint that had been sitting inside and out since 1988 (before the Berlin Wall fell). The paint had many heavy scratches and deep stains from wet leaves even after a thorough cleaning and clay bar. After two applications of FG400 with the orange pads on a test section, I was getting nowhere so I busted out my old buffer and 9" wool pads with some heavy cut buffing compound and laid into the paint hard. This closed up the paint nicely and got many of the worse defects out. Afterward, I went back to the Flex and used Mike's technique and was thoroughly amazed at the final results. Unfortunately, most of my before pictures got lost so I only have the one below. The close up on the hood is where there were many deep stains.

I would've spent far longer with less satisfying results trying to do the final polish with my rotary or hand polishing. Thanks AG!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help an old school guy out-img_2128-jpg   Help an old school guy out-img_2279-jpg   Help an old school guy out-img_2282-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

You will love the combo you bought. It is what I settled on after a few years and lots of cash trying different combos out. I use the same flex3401 and menzerna and hybrid pads. The only time you will reach for a rotary is in extreme situations. I still use mine to compound a boat but always follow up with the flex. enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

Great work and nice purchase. If you like the 3401 may I suggest picking up a PE-14. This combo is amazing - I'm a Flex fan for life now. I've done about 10 details now with this combo and am blown away at how much easier it's made my work.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12