autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"Bubba Proofing" a Flex Purchase

I want to switch out my Duetto for a Flex 3401 due to the stalling of the Rupes on curved vertical panels. I have studied many a forum posting and it seems that for most beginning users the Rupes requires too much technique or alternatively just doesn't work all that well on verticals/curved panels of which my Lexus has a ton. As time is money, I tend to believe the Flex would save a lot of time and it seems to be very versatile.

Currently, I was using the Rupes system due to its Bubba Proofing for a novice like me - ie pads, polishes were all Rupes. I plan on keeping the Rupes mini (excellent tool) but the Duetto is a goner as was the 15. Now I want to Bubba Proof the Flex purchase and cost is not a consideration. So far I am thinking of the following:

a) 3401
    b) LC changeable backing plate
    c) Hybrid Pads - 8 of each color in the 5 inch and 6.5 inch. I think the 6.5 inch would be incredibly efficient on large flat panels - trunk roof, hood and the 5 inch would be great on the doors. Fenders and tight areas I would use the Mini. I am hoping to improve my time spent to 10 hrs for the whole car vs the 15-20 which I had last weekend.
    d) Polishes - Menzerna - but no clue as to which or any brand that is the best. Wolfgangs looks excellent also.

The Lexus paint is very soft and clearly I want no chance of burning the clear coat. So whatever is ordered has to be really really safe.

Any comments thoughts appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Bubba Proofing" a Flex Purchase

Buy FG400 and SF4000 then follow Smack's technique (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html)

I bit the bullet yesterday and purchased a Flex from AG yesterday. Similar to you, I own a Lexus and I use the whole Rupes lineup. Except I'm still using Rupes 15 not the Duetto.

I purchased four 5" orange LC hybrid pads and four 5" white LC hybrids to go with the LC changeable backing plate.

Similar to you I want to improve my overall polishing time but I'm not purchasing the Flex to replace my Rupes lineup. I'm still going to keep them and learn how to integrate using the tools at what they excel at.

For one stage polishes I'm looking to switch over to primarily using the Flex.

FYI - Smack's technique has yielded great results for a lot of users on AG but I'm sure you already knew that

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe wait for the LC HD pads for the Rupes? Someone posted a vid of him hammering some contours and the unit kept on runnin just fine.
    I use Menz with the interchangeable plates. I have been using hydo tech pads with good success.

Post Thanks / Like

the Wolfgang line up is really nice. i use it with my Flex and the hybrid pads. you can go wrong with either Menzerna or Wolfgang.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    I want to switch out my Duetto for a Flex 3401 due to the stalling of the Rupes on curved vertical panels. I have studied many a forum posting and it seems that for most beginning users the Rupes requires too much technique or alternatively just doesn't work all that well on verticals/curved panels of which my Lexus has a ton. As time is money, I tend to believe the Flex would save a lot of time and it seems to be very versatile.

Currently, I was using the Rupes system due to its Bubba Proofing for a novice like me - ie pads, polishes were all Rupes. I plan on keeping the Rupes mini (excellent tool) but the Duetto is a goner as was the 15. Now I want to Bubba Proof the Flex purchase and cost is not a consideration. So far I am thinking of the following:

a) 3401
    c) Hybrid Pads - 8 of each color in the 5 inch and 6.5 inch. I think the 6.5 inch would be incredibly efficient on large flat panels - trunk roof, hood and the 5 inch would be great on the doors. Fenders and tight areas I would use the Mini. I am hoping to improve my time spent to 10 hrs for the whole car vs the 15-20 which I had last weekend.
    d) Polishes - Menzerna - but no clue as to which or any brand that is the best. Wolfgangs looks excellent also.

The Lexus paint is very soft and clearly I want no chance of burning the clear coat. So whatever is ordered has to be really really safe.

It appears that you are talking about taking care of your own ride. So after spending 15-20 hours polishing to perfection, why would you need a 3401? You seem to take care of your car and wouldn't need an aggressive system. Wouldn't the Rupes machines you now have take care of any correction down the road? BTW, I love the Mini.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the question. I do take care of my own ride, but also other family members. I used the Rupes this last weekend and after 20 hrs of polishing I noticed that the products used didn't work - car had a ton of swirls left over since I didn't do a test spot - lesson learned. Now after applying a ton of sealant I will live with until either later this year or next year and strip off all the sealant and start over.

My whole goal was to do this efficiently and the Rupes at least for me doesn't do well on curved or verticals. I have read just about every post where this was discussed and imho this is not so much of a technique problem but more of a DA build issue. They were built for safety and if the pad isn't flat they don't spin or spin slowly. On the doors I switched to the mini and it worked incredibly well but tripled the time so I am trying to solve for this issue and the flex seems to be the ticket. I can imagine the flex with 5 inch pad on the doors, Rupes mini on fenders and tight areas and the flex with 6.5 pads on the roof hood trunk. If I am right the time savings should be huge with incredible performance.

I have read other comments about technique, pads etc. but if one has to do a washer mod (on a $400 machine) to help make it spin might as well sell it and start over with a flex. Of course, you need good technique also but time is more important that cost for me and that is why I want a tool that saves time and pads polish that I don't have to think about (that is what was so great about Rupes except for curved vertical panels where the machine just stalled).

Any comments appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post

So far I am thinking of the following:

a) 3401
    c) Hybrid Pads - 8 of each color in the 5 inch and 6.5 inch.

That list of products will tackle just about anything you ever want to work on. To have a really versatile group of products to go with it I'd suggest the Wolfgang Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze.

That's an aggressive compound, medium cut polish and fine cut polish and all work great with the Hybrid pads.

The Wolfgang Four

Post Thanks / Like

OP, as I'm sure you know there is no pad stalling with the Flex. It doesn't matter what shape panel you polish. This machine eats curved panels for breakfast. And I mean that in a positive way that you will never having to worry about a dead pad just buzzing on the curve because the RUPES does not play well with curved panels.

With that being said, yes there is a higher risk factor involved as the 3401 could burn edges if you are careless and buff right on the crown of the curve. Now compared to a rotary machine such as the PE14, there is a greater safety margin with the forced oscillation of the 3401.

As for your list it looks great. What I recommend for polishes is that you grab Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 to go along with the Hybrid pad range. You can alter the level of cut offered by FG400 by substituting a less aggressive pad such as the white Hybrid polishing pad.

For soft black paint such as yours, I would pair a white pad with SF4000, run the 3401 at speed 5 for 6-8 passes and check your work. You results after this step should be really on point with this setup.

Please keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask questions.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    Buy FG400 and SF4000 then follow Smack's technique (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html)

FYI - Smack's technique has yielded great results for a lot of users on AG but I'm sure you already knew that
    Thanks for the mention sir!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    True that, Mikes best post ever, and spot on advice.
    Back to the full-time grind.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch!

20 hours of polishing without doing a Test Spot 1st

Tough lesson to learn

I would set a goal of watching all off Mike Phillips videos and reading all of the valuable Threads he has started here in AGO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast