autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A FLEX comparision: PE14 vs 3401

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    Really great to see these side by side results where the only variable is the machine, Smack. I am surprised to see how very similar the results are regardless of which machine you used. Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate this to us. Seeing is believing!
    Thanks Richard! Glad you enjoyed the read. Thanks for commenting.

I wanted to put this together for a while now and finally had the chance to do it. Now we all know how these tools perform under the same conditions.

Remember the 3401 has the ability to spin wool pads as well if you would need even more cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    smack 1st off....beautiful work!!! What a night and day difference for either machine. 2nd excellent review too! I have a Flex 3401 VRG IMO it is the BEST DA...PERIOD. As for the rotary I have never used and based on your review I probably will never need one because of the Flex 3401 being as close to a rotary.

Additionally, I am a KLUTZ so I would burn the paint off with a rotary...LOL.

Bottom line excellent review and beautiful work!

BUT, why such a great wax on a van????....LOL Your customer does not realize what a great wax he/she is getting!!!
    Thank you for taking the time to comment! I see you enjoyed the article.

I agree with you! The 3401 is the best DA. It has almost the power of the rotary with the safety of the oscillation. As I mentioned before the 3401 can spin the Hybrid wool pad.

Also the 3401 can burn edges if your not careful although it won't do it as easily as the PE14 can.

I was recently chosen to review this wax (review completed) and wanted to showcase it again. It is a great Wax.

Quote Originally Posted by b0b View Post
    Cool test! I've wanted a PE14 for quite some time now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Bob! The PE14 has no equal in the rotary field...

Post Thanks / Like

As always Mike, amazing work and great comparison photos! So tempted to add a PE14 to the arsenal. Thank you for taking the time to do a comparison

Post Thanks / Like

nice write-up. looks almost even, and if the rotary gave a slightly better finish, the flex DA probably could of achieve that in another pass if need be. now, can you do the same test on the other side with the rupes lhr21es and flex 3401?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: A FLEX comparision: PE14 vs 3401

Mike: nice write up and nice final results. Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    As always Mike, amazing work and great comparison photos! So tempted to add a PE14 to the arsenal. Thank you for taking the time to do a comparison
    Thanks James!

You need a PE in your life... It's that good.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    nice write-up. looks almost even, and if the rotary gave a slightly better finish, the flex DA probably could of achieve that in another pass if need be. now, can you do the same test on the other side with the rupes lhr21es and flex 3401?
    Thank you sir! These are two effectively capable machines.

Wanna send a RUPES over? I'd be more than happy to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by javip2k View Post
    Mike: nice write up and nice final results. Thanks for sharing
    Thank you for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great comparison, Mike!

It's not always we see a side-by-side thread where the only variable is the polisher. This, in fact, makes your review unique in terms we can take 'true' conclusions from it.

Paired with quality and technologically advanced pads and polishes, DAs are becoming very capable tools more than ever. The increment of Smack's technique is another variable that may help the user getting the most from the possible results, in terms of both cutting and finishing abilities.

It also looks to me this technique will open your way to an hologram free rotary polishing as you improve it while using the PE-14 more and more.

What to say about this forced rotation tool? It won't underperform in front of a rotary tool. I'm glad to have mine (3401), use it often (most always!), and take advantage of the Smack's Technique to get the most from my results. As I stated earlier in your technique's thread, your ideas and recommendations were a true game changer for me, because it simply works - Every time.

I'd like hear more regarding the pressure you applied on the pad while using both machines. Also, if you can, talk a bit about arm movement speed.

IMO, this thread may have PE14 VS 3401 on it's title, but the conclusion may be something like PE14 + 3401.

It's noticeable both tools are high end and can achieve stunning results.

I mean, users of PE14 may benefit of 3401 polishing and finishing when working on 'finicky' paints. 3401 users may benefit of PE14 when the first step in mind is correcting 'damn hard' paint or if dealing with low grit sanding marks. 3401 may polish to a high gloss, but from what I read a skilled rotary user may jewel the finish to showroom quality even sharper using the rotary tool, leaving us with nothing less than endless manners to combine both tools.

By having both you can always benefit from the best each tool has to offer, on each specific situation.

I'd like to thank you very much for putting efforts taking your time in this write up.

Thanks for sharing,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, you're the man. Thanks for all the time you put into helping on this forum.

I'm liking the hybrid pads a lot on the 3401. There was a general consensus from some big names in the industry that higher speeds are not necessary when using the 3401 for correction and/or polishing(speed 4 and below).
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

WHY OH WHY!!! Why do you have to show me another machine I don't have in my arsenal.

Now maybe I read it wrong but I don't see where you've declared a clear winner? Both took the same amount of time and within statistical variance produced the same results. The rotary has a little harder learning curve but produces no vibration whereas the DA is a little safer in the hands of a newb..... am I summing it up right?

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Great comparison, Mike!

It's not always we see a side-by-side thread where the only variable is the polisher. This, in fact, makes your review unique in terms we can take 'true' conclusions from it.

Paired with quality and technologically advanced pads and polishes, DAs are becoming very capable tools more than ever. The increment of Smack's technique is another variable that may help the user getting the most from the possible results, in terms of both cutting and finishing abilities.

It also looks to me this technique will open your way to an hologram free rotary polishing as you improve it while using the PE-14 more and more.

What to say about this forced rotation tool? It won't underperform in front of a rotary tool. I'm glad to have mine (3401), use it often (most always!), and take advantage of the Smack's Technique to get the most from my results. As I stated earlier in your technique's thread, your ideas and recommendations were a true game changer for me, because it simply works - Every time.

I'd like hear more regarding the pressure you applied on the pad while using both machines. Also, if you can, talk a bit about arm movement speed.

IMO, this thread may have PE14 VS 3401 on it's title, but the conclusion may be something like PE14 + 3401.

It's noticeable both tools are high end and can achieve stunning results.

I mean, users of PE14 may benefit of 3401 polishing and finishing when working on 'finicky' paints. 3401 users may benefit of PE14 when the first step in mind is correcting 'damn hard' paint or if dealing with low grit sanding marks. 3401 may polish to a high gloss, but from what I read a skilled rotary user may jewel the finish to showroom quality even sharper using the rotary tool, leaving us with nothing less than endless manners to combine both tools.

By having both you can always benefit from the best each tool has to offer, on each specific situation.

I'd like to thank you very much for putting efforts taking your time in this write up.

Thanks for sharing,

Kind Regards.
    Thank you for the kind words Rafael!!

I wanted to do this write up in a style that would allow the user to make their own judgement on the results and not take my word for it. That's why I did not mention any positives or negatives or say why one is better than the other.

DA tools have really come along way and with the Hybrid power of the 3401, (Forced Oscillation) you can really achieve some outstanding results. And with my technique that I developed and shared you can take the performance of the 3401 to another level.

This technique also works just as well on the PE14 as the 3401 allowing you to switch between either machine that much easier as everything stays the same minus the tool itself.

Pressure, speed, passes, etc were the same for either machine. I start briefly on speed 1 to quickly spread the product, set the machine to speed 3 and proceed to make 2-3 moderate to heavy passes and slowly ease up my pressure so by the time I get to the 6th pass I will use just the weight of the machine.

As you have said that was a great way to put it. It wasn't so much one machine vs. the other but more of what each are capable of. One way to really effectively use them would be the PE14 for correction and the 3401 polishing work for a sure fire 1-2 knockout punch for deadly accurate work without fear of holograms.

Of course you can always go back for a 3rd step with SF4500 and a finer pad for enhanced clarity.

Thank you for taking the time for this incredible response Rafael. I truly appreciate that.

Best,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    Mike, you're the man. Thanks for all the time you put into helping on this forum.

I'm liking the hybrid pads a lot on the 3401. There was a general consensus from some big names in the industry that higher speeds are not necessary when using the 3401 for correction and/or polishing(speed 4 and below).
    Thanks Mark! I enjoy helping out here on the forum where and when I can.

As you know and see I love the Hybrids on either machine. Hmmmm, didn't know about the general consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    WHY OH WHY!!! Why do you have to show me another machine I don't have in my arsenal.

Now maybe I read it wrong but I don't see where you've declared a clear winner? Both took the same amount of time and within statistical variance produced the same results. The rotary has a little harder learning curve but produces no vibration whereas the DA is a little safer in the hands of a newb..... am I summing it up right?
    Hahahaha. Claude, the PE14 has zero vibration when the pad runs true...

I didn't want to declare a winner. I wanted to leave that for the viewer to judge without my input. So this one is your call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

Hmmmm, didn't know about the general consensus.

I'm not trying to discredit your technique in any way. You're the first person that mentioned higher speeds are not needed to get heavy correction with the 3401. It's ironic because there was just a 3-day NXT course at Meguiar's last week and I was told the general consensus from some big names felt higher speeds are not necessary(correcting & finishing) with the 3401.

However, I THINK the "smack technique" may be limited to using Menzerna polishes. I could be wrong....
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast