autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Questions: Pad Size? How to do A-D pillars?

I finally got to practice using my flex on my old Jeep, using the stock backing plate and LC 5.5" pads. Amazing how much power this thing has!

I also have the 4 3/8" backing plate, and am curious what's the smallest pad I can fit on there. I tried ordering some 4" LC Hybrid pads, but they were too small. I'm really looking to get the smallest pad possible on there, so should I get the LC 4" to 6" backing plate system so I can get the 4" BP and use 5"inch pads?

For doing smaller areas, like a-pillars, is it ok to have the pad be larger than the area being worked on? Provided it's not hitting anything else and I keep the pad parallel the surface. I have the Mequiar's 3" Orbital adapter for a drill, but it's significantly slower process than the flex. I'd like to get a proper 3" polisher, but it isn't in the budget right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Questions: Pad Size? How to do A-D pillars?

There is plenty of power in this machine as you have found out.

The smallest pad you can find on there is a 4" pad such as these.
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, Hydrotech foam buffing pads, spot polishing pads, dual action pads

You will need the LC interchangeable plate system to accommodate them. You ordered the smaller version Hybrid pads? These are 5" with a 4" Velcro backing material. You will also need the interchangeable system for these.

You can do smaller areas than the 4" pad will allow. Just tape everything that will not be polished and leave the polishable material shown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    There is plenty of power in this machine as you have found out.

The smallest pad you can find on there is a 4" pad such as these.
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, Hydrotech foam buffing pads, spot polishing pads, dual action pads

You will need the LC interchangeable plate system to accommodate them. You ordered the smaller version Hybrid pads? These are 5" with a 4" Velcro backing material. You will also need the interchangeable system for these.

You can do smaller areas than the 4" pad will allow. Just tape everything that will not be polished and leave the polishable material shown.
    Thanks!

Might be ordering the interchangeable system soon.

I ordered 5" pads with 4" Velcro, which is 3/8" too small, so I had to return them.

The pads you linked above are 4" pads with a 4" Velcro back?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

4" pads will not work on the FLEX 3401.

Even if you cut the "Mini Backing Plate" down...the housing on the polisher gets in the way.

Some people on the forum are using an older Porter Cable PC or a Griot's 3".

With the PC, you can use a rotary adapter and an extension so that you can use 3" pads. Mike Phillips did a great write up on this technique with a rotary. Do a forum search: "Surgical Buffing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Thanks!

Might be ordering the interchangeable system soon.

I ordered 5" pads with 4" Velcro, which is 3/8" too small, so I had to return them.

The pads you linked above are 4" pads with a 4" Velcro back?
    Sure thing!

The Hybrid 5" pad is a dream to use on the 3401. It has a 4" Velcro attachment that fits perfectly on the 4" interchangeable plate.

Yes. They are 4" with a 4" Velcro backing. Pictured in the thread below is a small 4" red pad being used to spread BlackICE. This pad fits perfectly on the 4" plate.
    Review of BlackFire “Black Ice”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    4" pads will not work on the FLEX 3401.
    A 4" pad will indeed fit on the interchangeable 4" plate. See my response above.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    A 4" pad will indeed fit on the interchangeable 4" plate. See my response above.
    IMO opinion, you are asking for trouble with that combo.

You need some margin of error between the backing plate and the paint.

Sure, you can use it to spread wax, but eventually, you will bump something expensive with the BP.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3" foam pads along with my rotary, much control being the pad is so small.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    IMO opinion, you are asking for trouble with that combo.

You need some margin of error between the backing plate and the paint.

Sure, you can use it to spread wax, but eventually, you will bump something expensive with the BP.
    I have to agree with you here. The OP asked what was the smallest pad he could fit on the Flex and I answered.

I know there are some that will use the 3401 as a Jack of All Trades and try to do everything with it including surgical buffing in tight areas. This can be accomplished however personally I will grab my GG3 or 849x armed with three inch hydro tech pads and go from there.

Honestly I feel the smallest pad that should be equipped is a 5" hybrid. Anything smaller and like you said you are asking for trouble by way of smashing say a side view mirror with the rotating backing plate. With a 5" pad you have a 1/2 of safety around the plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I do get that the 4inch could cause damage. I would use it soley for "surgical" applications, being very cautious. A 3" would absolutley be better, but I'm trying to work with what I got. Wife has me limited after the flex purchase for allitle while, lol. I'd really like a 2" rotary air tool, but my pancake compressor wont keep up. So for now, im trying to see how much I can get out of the flex.

Thanks again for the input guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast