autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex3401vrg or Rupes Bigfoot?

Why doesn't anybody bring up a rotary with the Dynabrade attachment in these discussions?
    1. The Dynabrade has a 3/4" orbit--even larger than the Rupes
    2. The Dynabrade is forced rotation like the Flex
    3. It can be used as a rotary too, lending more versatility
    4. It's cheaper!! $100 for the attachment plus the cost of your choice of rotary.
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like

I am still not comfortable with the rotary yet but thanks for the insight. I will look into it.

I practiced first on a rotary with my mentor but since he moved, I've been using the DA polishers. I just can't trust myself yet without burning the paint. Looks like I will need to pick up some more test panels from the junker.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been contemplating this for a while myself, and I finally ordered the 3401 package with HT pads last night. I think either polisher would be a great choice, but I decided to go with the forced rotation to complement my PC.

Since the package includes two backing plates, I can use both 5.5 and 6.5 inch pads that I already have. If I do good with those and like the polisher I may invest in the backing plate kit and hybrid pads in the future, but not having to buy an additional backing plate right now and lower cost helped me to choose the Flex.

In the unlikely event that I don't want to keep the Flex, I'm sure I can sell everything for what I paid due to the great sale price right now.

Hope this post wasn't too long, and hope it helps your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    I am still not comfortable with the rotary yet but thanks for the insight. I will look into it.

I practiced first on a rotary with my mentor but since he moved, I've been using the DA polishers. I just can't trust myself yet without burning the paint. Looks like I will need to pick up some more test panels from the junker.
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my post. The Dynabrade attachment turns a rotary into a random orbital with a huge stroke, like the Rupes. Completely safe, and completely powerful leading to fast correction. Then you can flick a switch and turn it into a forced rotation rotary for after your skills and confidence grow. Many good threads on the net about them (especially Kevin Brown's article).
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like

The Dynabrade attachemt, IME, is not smooth, it's harsh.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Recently, I learned a tip from Bunky(Al) that's REALLY helped me with the 3401; don't try to whip the polisher around, take your time and let the polisher move on its own, while just guiding it. Great advice.
    Have you noticed that you can very slightly tilt the handle up or down to guide it left and right?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your feedback. I see why I'm having so much trouble deciding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    Have you noticed that you can very slightly tilt the handle up or down to guide it left and right?
    That reminds me of the days when I worked in a grocery store (Piggly Wiggly) while in high school. We had to buff the floors with this HUGE buffer. The newbee was initiated by not receiving operating instructions during their first attempt to buff the open stock room prior to buffing the isles in the store. When engaging the buffer, a slight pull or push on the handle would direct the buffer. The neophytes would automatically lift the handle trying to stop the buffer, which in turn caused it to go the opposite direction at Mach speed! Everyone would laugh watching the expression of the newbee trying to win the battle of the buffer. Obviously they would lose. My first experience was actually in one of the isles of the store. A lady tried to get her cart over the cord and couldn't. Trying to be helpful, I grabbed the buffer. Not knowing the proper driving technique, I did what all newbies would do to try and maneuver the buffer the opposite direction; I pulled up on the handle with brute strength. When I did, the buffer traveled at what seemed like 160 MPH into a Lipton Tea display which consisted of 5-stacked parsons tables (I know I'm showing my age- many youngsters have no idea what a parsons table is). There was a loud crash which resulted in a pile of broken jars of Lipton tea that was about three feet tall.

Thank goodness the Flex is much easier to operate than a 70's floor buffer! To give you an idea of the time frame in which this happened, minimum wage was $2.35/hour!
    Best regards,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    I unfortunately started with a baby polisher and now I'm in need of something that really works. I was all set to pick up the Flex3401 when Rupes Bigfoot hit the scene. Is Rupes now the go to polisher using the washer trick to get better rotation? or is the Flex3401 still king? I have 2 days and 18 hours to get this figured out before the sale is over. Thank you for any thoughts you may be able to provide.

Haz
    Hi Haz:

Well, I had an entire post ready to go, pictures included. But, when I was trying to load the last photo, I clicked in the wrong spot and closed the window. I have to go to a customer site, so I don't have time to recreate the post at the moment.

Since you still have time, I'll get it redone tonight.

BTW, I have the Flex 3401 (decision made after Rupes was available, but before any reviews were posted).

Don't regret that decision and haven't even thought of changing.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jgg85234 View Post
    Hi Haz:

Well, I had an entire post ready to go, pictures included. But, when I was trying to load the last photo, I clicked in the wrong spot and closed the window. I have to go to a customer site, so I don't have time to recreate the post at the moment.

Since you still have time, I'll get it redone tonight.

BTW, I have the Flex 3401 (decision made after Rupes was available, but before any reviews were posted).

Don't regret that decision and haven't even thought of changing.

Jim
    Thank you. I get the gest of what you're going to post but am very interested in what led up to the confirmation in the flex. I'm probably the world's worst at typing out a lengthy post then no hitting the submit button. Then I post a one sentence answer. I appreciate your time and efforts on this matter.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast